View Full Version : Now you guys are in for it

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-05-2012, 11:26 AM
I just ordered "the Paper Jacket" last night,
I'll be bugging you folks soon!

Just a warning shot. 8-)

bruce drake
03-05-2012, 01:49 PM
:kidding:Thus begins the onward spiralling march into insanity called by those who love to shoot paper-patched boolits. Next thing you know he will be patching up some LEE .22 BATORs to shoot in his 45-70!

pdawg_shooter
03-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Be afraid, be very afraid. Paper patching is more addictive than crack cocaine! When you start getting as good, and sometimes better accuracy and velocity than with jacketed you will be hooked. BTW, there is no known cure!

45 2.1
03-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Be afraid, be very afraid. Paper patching is more addictive than crack cocaine! When you start getting as good, and sometimes better accuracy and velocity than with jacketed you will be hooked. BTW, there is no known cure!

Except something that is more involved and harder to do with cast. BTDT...................

bruce drake
03-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Except something that is more involved and harder to do with cast. BTDT...................

Swaging?:bigsmyl2:

stirring the pot....:cbpour:

45 2.1
03-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Swaging?:bigsmyl2:

stirring the pot....:cbpour:

Swaging isn't that hard to do....... BTDT too. Try sub MOA accuracy with lead in semi-autos.................:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:. ... at long range.

6.5 mike
03-05-2012, 06:16 PM
And another one bits the dust, as the song says, :drinks:, :veryconfu.

Haggway
03-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Dude your in trouble. In the span of six months I went from loading a few j bullets, the to some cast a guy gave me. Then to ordering the "Paper Jacket". I have yet to start casting, and have no clue how I got to this point of rolling paper around boolits. The good thing is i still have my house truck and toys, unlike a crack head. Enjoy the affliction/addiction.

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Next thing you know he will be patching up some LEE .22 BATORs to shoot in his 45-70!

I dont have a 45-70 yet :)

I am looking out for a barrel for my Handi though:holysheep

After pricing Jwords this last week (hadnt bought much for years)
I am ALL in for anything cast, Copper be dammed!

303Guy
03-05-2012, 11:37 PM
After the first few boolits are patched and they look rather pretty and you shoot them of you start to think of j-words as being a sin!

I clocked my 14½ inch 303 Brit 'Pig Gun' at 2020fps with 194gr patched boolits with moderate pressure. Cannot be done with j-words. Don't go spoiling my day by asking about accuracy with that load! Point is that lower pressure will net you the same velocity as j's. I'm shooting a 'scrap' bore gun with PP's and actually getting a measure of accuracy (I use the term 'accuracy' loosely here). Actually, I was hitting beer cans (empty) shot after shot in the middle at about 35 yds with it and that was off-hand. Those were shotgun powdered light boolit loads. I'd forgotten about that. I do remember that every second case jammed in the chamber.

P.S. when I say 'scrap' bore, I'm not kidding. Think sewer pipe. (Amazing what fire-lapping can do).

catkiller45
03-14-2012, 09:00 PM
I just ordered "the Paper Jacket" last night,
I'll be bugging you folks soon!

Just a warning shot. 8-)

Yeah-you done wasted your money like I did..That book sucks..I am using mine for paper patch material....So it will not be a total loss...

handyman25
03-15-2012, 12:09 AM
got the book and could not put it down. Think I will try patching some 45 lc to use in my 92.

geargnasher
03-15-2012, 12:27 AM
Yeah-you done wasted your money like I did..That book sucks..I am using mine for paper patch material....So it will not be a total loss...

Exactly what part about it "sucks"? I found quite a few good tidbits in there, although I think that with the help of others on this forum I've been able to exceed Matthew's knowledge and results with small-bore smokeless loads. I believe the saying about standing upon the shoulders of giants applies here, Matthews being one of them.

Gear

warpspeed
03-15-2012, 12:29 AM
OK. I'll bite. What is a "paper jacket" ?

geargnasher
03-15-2012, 12:34 AM
OK. I'll bite. What is a "paper jacket" ?

Here are some examples:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_89094e014004bd7b1.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1266)http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_89094e2b37df9f01b.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1549)http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_89094ea39a08d9d9c.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2489)

Gear

303Guy
03-15-2012, 02:02 AM
Welcome aboard, warpspeed. :drinks:

The paper jacket is dangerous and high addictive 'drug'. Once you try it you'll get hooked then the unknowing will just look at you sideways and wonder what it's all about.
It's about having fun and getting amazing performance from a cast boolit even with bores that would otherwise be scrapped.

Paper jackets, normally call paper patched boolits, do not lead your bore and in fact, polishes it.

.357MAN
03-15-2012, 02:24 AM
Sorry for asking such a silly question, but when you say "polishes" do you mean its abrasive, or that it cleans the barrel? My commonsense tells me PP is less abrasive than copper, and PP more likely cleans than is abrasive, but my commonsense isn't that reliable when it comes to really fast things.

303Guy
03-15-2012, 02:37 AM
Paper is mildly abrasive. I've never heard of a bore being worn out by paper but that bores take on a shine. Even rusty bores take on a shine.

Most papers have clays in them but apparently even cloth patches used by muzzle loaders polishes the bore. Muzzle loaders were made with milder steels so that might explain that one. I think but I'm not sure that paper patch would work in a barrel not suitable for copper jackets as in old black powder cast boolit guns. Mind you, some guns were made fore paper jackets before modern barrel steels were used.

Paper has been indicated for cleaning windscreens that just won't lose the streakiness. It's a bit like using a metal polish.

.357MAN
03-15-2012, 02:48 AM
That makes it a lot clearer. Thank you 303Guy.

nanuk
03-15-2012, 04:37 AM
303Guy: newspaper works well for cleaning glass. I think the ink acts as a polish also.

pdawg_shooter
03-15-2012, 07:54 AM
For years I have heard that paper patches will wear out a barrel. For "proof" they say see how fast cutting paper will dull a knife. OK, sharpen your knife and cut a few hundred pieces of paper. See how little it dulled your knife? Now resharpen the same knife and see how many jacketed bullets you can cut. Well duh!

catkiller45
03-15-2012, 09:20 AM
303Guy: newspaper works well for cleaning glass. I think the ink acts as a polish also.

I tried paptch ing with news paper..It seemed to work alright...time will tell