PDA

View Full Version : Need used Barrel

George Tucker
03-05-2012, 03:43 AM
Where can a guy look for used Barrels?. i need one for my 1903 Greek Manlicher Sch in 6.5x54 MS, thanks George.

Ragnarok
03-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Might check Springfield Sporters(if they are still in business)...they have had Greek Mannlicher parts in the past.

George Tucker
03-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Thank you, George.

leadman
03-07-2012, 02:52 AM
Just bought from springfield Sporters last week. You also can check with SARCO or Numrich Gun Parts.
Auction Arms and Gunbroker websites. Ebay is allowing barrel sales again with a pretty decent selection available.

justashooter
03-07-2012, 04:56 AM
wonder if dutch military 6.5 rifles have same thread pitch. IIRC the chambers are damned near identical.

Multigunner
03-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Much as I'd like one of these in full military trim, if I ran across one with a corroded bore I'd be very tempted to build a custom full stocked carbine in the classic style on the action, in a modern easily available caliber that suited the magazine spool.

The old fellow who played Granpa on "Hee Haw" told of an accident he had with a MS sporter.
He was using handloads that had been loaded using Carcano .268 bullets.
He had opened the action and an empty case was ejected. Being a forgetful type he assumed he had fired a round and left an empty in the chamber.
What had happened was he had been interupted before firing a chambered round and the live round was in the chamber.
The oversized bullet had become stuck in the throat and pulled free of the case neck when the case was ejected. The unburned powder had spilled un noticed into the mag well.

When he chambered the following round he jammed the stuck bullet further into the leade with the bullet of the following round jammed deeply into the case.

When fired the cartridge case melted and flowed back into the action practically brazing the bolt closed. No other damage was done, and a very skilled gunsmith was able to free up the action, how that was accomplished he didn't say. I do think he said they had to remove the barrel to work on freeing the bolt.
The rifle turned out to be still in great shape and he used it for many years.

George Tucker
03-16-2012, 03:59 PM
I would like to keep it Military if i can, George.