PDA

View Full Version : How much .22lr is enough?

Jamesconn
03-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Many of y'all on this forum are trying to stock up on enough lead to last your life time and .22 is pretty much the only ammunition we can't make so how much is enough?

That's all I bought for a few months and now I have a .50 cal can full and according to my guesstimations that's just under 6,000 rounds

crabo
03-04-2012, 10:35 PM
How much do you shoot a month? How long will 6000 rounds last for you? Do you plan on shooting more than you do now? If so, buy more ammo.

dragon813gt
03-04-2012, 10:44 PM
I buy them by the thousands when I feel like it. I currently have about 40k on hand. I will easily shoot a brick when I go the range. If there is a deal on a case(which is rare that it can beat walmarts normal price) I buy them. And since my 22 pistols are ammo sensitive I have atleast four different types in bulk.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Blacksmith
03-04-2012, 10:51 PM
The CMP just had surplus .22 Lr on sale and they sold 4,000 cases 5,000 rounds per case in three days, 20,000,000 rounds. My guess is the average order was for two cases but many bought four or five and most were adding to their current stockpile.

Here is the link to where their forum is discussing shipment and delivery:
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=69785

jcwit
03-04-2012, 10:55 PM
Yup, the CMP sold out of all the junk Remington ammo. China isn't the only country that makes junk.

Hamish
03-04-2012, 11:06 PM
A bazillion is never enough! Find 'em cheap and buy all you can. Get in the habit, because just like everything else in this world, they will just keep getting more expensive.

OBIII
03-04-2012, 11:08 PM
James, you have been on this forum long enough to know that there is no such animal as "too much". When you have expended your 10,000th round, and have no more, ask yourself the question then. "Should I have bought another brick?" :popcorn:
OB

bigelk
03-04-2012, 11:08 PM
I don't even know how many 22's I have but for stockpiling, "ammo is ammo" if you don't have it you can't shoot it. the semi autos can get finicky, some of mine are, and they get fed the better stuff. Just depends on the weapon.

Patrick L
03-04-2012, 11:32 PM
This is interesting. I too recently saw the CMP deal on .22 ammo, and I almost jumped. The two things that stopped me were:

1. Yes, the fact that it was Remington turned me off. I have had more than a few bad experiences with Remington .22 ammo bought over the counter, FAR more than the CCI or Federal I also shoot, and I can't imagine what their lowest bid govt. contract ammo would be like.

2. More importantly, I have been sitting on 5 or 6 K rounds I have had since I was a teenager/young adult. You know the drill, you just got your first job, you look in the ads and see Kmart has .22 ammo for .97 a box (back in the 80s anyway.) Hell, you had a JOB, so you bought a brick! A week later, Sears had .22 ammo for .98 a box. Another brick! And so it went. I probably shot a box for every brick I bought.

Even though I recently started shooting a lot more .22, a Walmart bulk pack lasts a long time. I even started shooting up some of the 20+ year old stuff and replacing them with fresh bulk packs, so my total inventory has stayed relatively the same.

So, I guess for me, 5-6K is more than enough!

nicholst55
03-04-2012, 11:36 PM
.22 LR, keep 10,000 rounds on hand, replace it as you shoot it. I consider that a minimum.

Max Brand
03-05-2012, 12:08 AM
You can never have too much .22LR. I try to buy a box or two every time I go to wally world and sometimes buy from online stores when they have it on sale. You can't reload the stuff so it pays to have a good supply on hand.

Max

plmitch
03-05-2012, 12:12 AM
We buy two to three bricks every other month, some we keep,some we give to the kids,some we use up. Been trying to hold on to at least 10-12k.

casterofboolits
03-05-2012, 12:44 AM
Never enough!

Blacksmith
03-05-2012, 12:57 AM
Jamesconn

If you shoot one box a week which is nothing for a target shooter (5 ten bull targets) you have a little over a 2 years supply. If you want to become a competative smallbore shooter and want to compete at the regional and national level you need to shoot a lot more than that.

Rick N Bama
03-05-2012, 08:57 AM
Jamesconn at your young age I would try to build up a supple of at least 50,00 rounds of 22s. No telling when we won't be able to buy them at all. At 64 years old I have around 12,000 rounds, a supply which I consider to be inadquate for my future needs.

Rick

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-05-2012, 10:10 AM
I started stock piling them back in the 90s.
I prefered the the federal lightning back then.
then I got into a league and started shooting
standard velocity "Match" ammo.
I'm still sitting on a large pile of the
Federal Lighting as well as some Win <wildfire> ?
anyway, I have recently got my daugther into shooting.
she had problems with my Vintage ammo in her semi-auto pistol.
Long story short, the lube has dried.
I lightly sprayed 50 rds with WD-40, then rolled them
in a towel to get the excess off, then they cycled fine.
I am currently looking for a better lube (recipe) to relube these.
But anyway, this is something to think about.
If you plan on buying some for long term storage,
figure on a tight sealing container...a 50 cal ammo can
with a good seal is a good choice.
Jon

jcwit
03-05-2012, 10:11 AM
I'm a target shooter with a .22. A brick of .22 ammo that I shood costs $75.00 for the practice grade. Most recommend a stash of 10,000 rounds, that works out to $1,500 for just the practice ammo. Then the ammo for a match is $190 a brick.

felix
03-05-2012, 10:52 AM
What is the ammo from CCI that everyone seems to like, AND, would buy in quantity if can be had? ... felix

We have access to a "group buy" if the quantity is large enough. ... felix

1Shirt
03-05-2012, 10:52 AM
No such thing as a minimum!
1Shirt!:coffee:

bobthenailer
03-05-2012, 11:11 AM
I shoot a minumin of around 100 rounds of 22lr per week , I currently have about 25,000 on hand mostley CCI std velocity & federal auto match. I also stock up on 22lr ammo when the price is right.
I put a order in for the DCM's 22lr ammo for 2 cases , haven heard if i got them or not yet as my club went in on a group buy for 25 cases.

10 ga
03-05-2012, 11:43 AM
AMMO isn't but 2 kinds of ammo, enough and not enough. If you have to ask it ain't enough! 10 ga

Besides, if the current POUS wins another election in November your supply may well be cut off forever! Get it while you can!

RayinNH
03-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Wow I feel so inadequate here :oops:. I probably have no more than 500 rounds. The last time I shot a .22 was probably 5-6 years ago except for the 7 rounds I used to dispatch 4 woodchucks last summer from the garden...Ray

troy_mclure
03-05-2012, 12:38 PM
I shoot a 550 bulk pack every range visit.

montana_charlie
03-05-2012, 01:57 PM
What is the ammo from CCI that everyone seems to like, AND, would buy in quantity if can be had? ... felix

I have always used the CCI "Mini Mag" hi speed stuff with solid nose.
It is 'copper plated', and has no lube to dry out. Old stuff shoots as good as new stuff.

I could get interested in a group buy for that ...

CM

woody1
03-05-2012, 02:56 PM
+We should prob'ly start a new thread re: group buy 22 ammo
That said, I'd like to see CCI Std. Vel stuff but could go for MiniMags also.
Regards, WOody

44man
03-05-2012, 03:00 PM
When Obama's jack boots beat on your door, better have some big stuff. Forget the .22's.

bob208
03-05-2012, 03:15 PM
if things get real bad. just what do you think a box of .22lr would bring in a trade?

Ickisrulz
03-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Many of y'all on this forum are trying to stock up on enough lead to last your life time and .22 is pretty much the only ammunition we can't make so how much is enough?

That's all I bought for a few months and now I have a .50 cal can full and according to my guesstimations that's just under 6,000 rounds

I'm assuming that you are young and still with the folks, right?

What are your plans after High School? Will you be going to college, joining the military, moving to Alaska to work in the oil fields, etc.? The answer to this question will help you decide how much ammo to stockpile. If you move away...you will have to transport your belongings. Ammo is very heavy. I know the military for one will not ship ammo for you. Will you be able to take your stash?

If you plan on living next to where you are now, there's no reason not to buy ammo when deals present themselves. I wouldn't go into debt for it or sacrifice too much either. The manufacturers will probably make more.

Scrap lead on the other hand would be a better item to stockpile. With wheel weights going away, the sources of inexpensive (i.e., $1/pound) will be getting harder to find. Of course lead is heavier than 22LR bricks (see above).

montana_charlie
03-05-2012, 03:36 PM
+We should prob'ly start a new thread re: group buy 22 ammo
If that happens, post a link to it in this thread.
I don't know my way around in the Group Buy areas ...
CM

geargnasher
03-05-2012, 04:11 PM
I have long believed that a full-sized pallet stacked ten high of .22LR bulk bricks to be the universal and complete SHTF stockpile. All the ammo you need, all the trade goods for stuff you didn't stockpile.

Gear

472x1B/A
03-05-2012, 04:48 PM
How much is enough? That sir is really a very good question. In reguards to the .22 L.R. round, I would contemplate on one 500 rd brick every other payday, or at least every third payday for 5-7 years. To some this will be way over board, but to others still not enough. You will, in the end have to decide how much is enough. My last count was 47 bricks and that is still not enough for me. But like I stated, a very good question.

crabo
03-05-2012, 05:43 PM
If that happens, post a link to it in this thread.
I don't know my way around in the Group Buy areas ...
CM

You are a lucky man!

Jailer
03-05-2012, 05:55 PM

Are you talking about the CCI standard velocity? I've read on a few different forums that it's a very consistent ammo velocity wise and that a lot of competitive target shooters use it for that reason. I only have a little personal experience with it so of course take what I posted with a grain of salt.

This is the cheapest place I've found for it. Worth while to pay shipping if you are placing a large(ish) order.

http://www.championshooters.com/store/product.php?productid=1089&cat=285&page=1

ETA: It comes in just under supersonic speeds so it's nice and quiet to shoot too compared to HV stuff.

Jamesconn
03-05-2012, 06:02 PM
I don't know what's up with the cci **** if your doing competition I guess but hunting federal bulk packs work great cheaper no lube to dry out kills just as dead

MT Gianni
03-05-2012, 07:45 PM
I shoot less than a bulk pack a year. I can load 32 Long, 9mm and 38 special for almost equal cost of 22 LR and it goes bang every time. I would stock up on primers when they are on sale.

Jamesconn
03-05-2012, 08:06 PM
I can't stockpile anything cept 22 for now I am only 16 and there is no local reloading store so I can't buy a box of primers every week or something i have to wait till I go to cabelas 3x a year or buy in bulk on the Internet.

I need a job and I'm working on a resume now but i am doing small time electrical jobs for people for some money when I get a job I will stockpile

Yes when I graduate I am going to join the navy reserves then go get training for my career in Minnesota so I can learn the ways of the the redneck from family up there, then I will go in the navy full time Im not sure how long but I know people that can sit on my stash for me so that won't be an issue moving the stockpile won't be a problem guns and ammo probably take up the most room in my truck on the way up there all my other stuff can fit in a backpack not counting traps

What are the gun laws in Minnesota

runfiverun
03-05-2012, 08:44 PM
if things get real bad. just what do you think a box of .22lr would bring in a trade?

if things get bad enough that 22's are the new currency.
you won't be dealing in boxes you'll be dealing in singles like they did in the 30's and 40's.

troy_mclure
03-05-2012, 09:28 PM
you won't be dealing in boxes you'll be dealing in singles like they did in the 30's and 40's.

or in the ussr, where they reloaded them frequently.

Ickisrulz
03-05-2012, 11:08 PM
I can't stockpile anything cept 22 for now I am only 16 and there is no local reloading store so I can't buy a box of primers every week or something i have to wait till I go to cabelas 3x a year or buy in bulk on the Internet.

I'm not 16...but what you described is pretty much my situation and probably many others' here.

jcwit
03-05-2012, 11:40 PM
you won't be dealing in boxes you'll be dealing in singles like they did in the 30's and 40's

When I started working in 1956 at 13 we were still selling them by the piece, $ .02 each IIRC, also sold shotgun shells the same way, can't remember when we quit doing that tho.

Like someone else mentioned be sure to watch that lube when storing. It will dry out and flake off.

montana_charlie
03-06-2012, 12:16 AM
I don't know what's up with the cci **** if your doing competition I guess but hunting federal bulk packs work great cheaper no lube to dry out kills just as dead
What term earned you the four '****', Bud?

Do you know something bad about CCI that you want to toss out?
Have you ever used any CCI?
Have you ever used anything other than Federal Bulk Pack .22LR?

Maybe you don't know what's up with the CCI'****'.
But at your age ... I bet there a whole world of stuff you don't know what's up with.

CM

Josh Smith
03-06-2012, 12:24 AM
Hello,

I used to shoot 500 to 1000 rounds of customized Blazer per week.

I went through some rough times there and shot most of my stash keeping that rate going.

Need to replace it. Probably should start thinking about that, actually.

This time I think I'll go 50/50 Blazer and CCI Subsonic, though. Been finding that I want to be more precise and more quiet than is possible with the Blazer. I just don't enjoy the subsonic rounds' trajectories, but I'm sure I can learn to live with that!

Regards,

Josh

jcwit
03-06-2012, 12:30 AM
CCI is a super good inexpensive practice ammo, I use it for bench practice at 25 yds. I think I get to many flyers at 50yds.

Blacksmith
03-06-2012, 03:55 AM
Jamesconn

One thing you will want to do is to find out what ammo works best in each of your .22 guns. Different guns will work best with the ammo that is best for them and .22's are notoious for being ammo finicikey. Even two guns of the same make and model may work best with different ammo. The only way to be certain is to get a bunch of different ammo and do some testing. Put up multiple targets and using a rest for the most stable position start shooting five or ten shot groups always keeping the same sight setting and sight picture. Depending on the ammo the groups will change in relation to the bullseye. They will get bigger or smaller and will move up, down or side to side just by changing the ammunition. Find which ammo gives the tightest group then adjust your sights to put that group in the bullseye and thats the ammo you want to stock for that gun. A different gun may like a different brand or type and you will find with accurate target rifles sometimes the lot number of the ammo makes a difference.

For shooting tin cans or to have material to trade after the SHTF it doesn't matter much but if you are shooting in a match or need to put meat on the table or go hungrey then you want to knows whats best in that particular gun.

I have one that loves CCI SGB and another that prefers Winchester 40 gr Standard Velocity my son's best gun likes Remington Subsonic Hollow points. With .22's each one is an individual.

runfiverun
03-06-2012, 05:33 AM
not only that but over time things change.
what worked 5-10 years ago, might not be the same now.

Jamesconn
03-06-2012, 09:04 AM
I said c r a p to get the stars I have shot a few cci it's fine cept i found a few cci duds before, so they aren't perfect. I think all their products are over priced and people just buy them because the bullets in a egg carton make it look better.

I am not sayin cci is bad I just don't understand why people choose to spend 2-3x more money shooting 100 yards there probably is a difference, but all the shooting/hunting I do is within that.
When I do shoot an animal one federal bulk pack bullet kills them as dead as can be so I'm not going to splurge on more expensive ammo I don't need.

I have shot other brands Remington mostly and cci when I go shoot my friends ammo.

I store my 22 lose in 50 cal can with silica gel packets and I put a little bit of Vaseline on the gasket with q-tip

Jamesconn
03-06-2012, 09:29 AM
I am tired of getting a bunch of **** from people because I talk about guns and I'm not old and I haven't been doing it for decades.
Yes I am a teenager I do not claim to be some gun guru know it all I just know more about guns than people MY age at MY school so I answer their questions.

My reloading and looking for new gun experience has been made more difficult than it already is by old people ignoring me when they are behind the counter and I have a question.

I have to have my parents converse with them and they don't know about guns so it gets extremely difficult.

It's also old people that convinced my father that casting is bad. I'm not trying to anger everybody older than me ( by old I mean 60+ ) I'm just tired of nobody taking me serious because I am learning this at a young age.

I have learned alot from everybody on this forum without y'all I think my passion for firearms would have died already. Y'all are great people it's a shame I don't meet more people like you all in the real world.

uscra112
03-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Y'know what they say in Texas - - - - "Too much ain't enough".

btroj
03-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Since most of my 22 shooting is plinking or teaching a new shooter at short ranges I buy what I can get cheap. I have about 2K CCI blazer on hand, got it for 8.99 per 500.
When I hunt squirrels I use Aguila subsonic HP. I have 2K of those also.

Off was shooting where accuracy was a big deal I would test different ammo and see which was best in my gun then stock up on that brand and that lot number.

I was in the same position as you a brief 27 years ago. I too got upset when treated as a young upstart. Over time I realized people were not being mean, they were trying to help me. I can tell you one thing I did learn over the years- you learn much more with your ears than you do with your mouth.

On a side note- I think I remember from posts you made in the past you were trying to save up money for more reloading gear. Try to make sure you don't buy so much 22 ammo that it prevents you from saving for the equipment you need. Reloading gear can last a lifetime, itis a great investment. This is as good a time as any to learn about making choices. Shoot lots now or shoot even more later with ammo you made.

Keep your chin up. We were all your age at one point, well maybe not a few of the guys on here, they were always old. Keep learning, keep shooting, and whatever you do, never give up.

Lawyerman
03-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Given the current trends of ammo cost and availability I wouldn't be happy unless I had at least a decades worth of ammo in the closet.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-06-2012, 10:23 AM
I am tired of getting a bunch of **** from people because I talk about guns and I'm not old and I haven't been doing it for decades.
Yes I am a teenager I do not claim to be some gun guru know it all I just know more about guns than people MY age at MY school so I answer their questions.

My reloading and looking for new gun experience has been made more difficult than it already is by old people ignoring me when they are behind the counter and I have a question.

I have to have my parents converse with them and they don't know about guns so it gets extremely difficult.

It's also old people that convinced my father that casting is bad. I'm not trying to anger everybody older than me ( by old I mean 60+ ) I'm just tired of nobody taking me serious because I am learning this at a young age.

I have learned alot from everybody on this forum without y'all I think my passion for firearms would have died already. Y'all are great people it's a shame I don't meet more people like you all in the real world.
I am 46, when I was younger...a teenager, I felt similar feelings, like no one was listening when I was talking. As I got a little older, I learned the flaw was mine, not theirs. I wasn't listening to them. When I mean listen, I don't mean being silent, I mean understanding exactly what other people mean by there words and actions. When you don't understand what was meant, then your reply may or maynot be offputing...if it is, you'll get ignored. Also...as you've already learned, few people really know that much about guns and ammo, this website is an exception. Most successfull gunshop owners/employees know about the business of selling guns and ammo, but don't necessarily know much about guns and ammo. If you seek discussions with people who don't know much about guns and ammo, the discussions won't last very long.

Dis'ing old people will not help...of the people I know that know alot about guns and Ammo, most are older than me.

Jamesconn
03-06-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm not dissing old people I didn't mean for this thread to turn into a debate.

I do talk alot and that gets me in trouble some times, but the people at the gun show ignore me completely not a word just a sour look I really want to move the gunshows down here lack quality and what they do have is over priced.

I have learned alot from my elders

shdwlkr
03-06-2012, 12:22 PM
James
First I am in my mid 60's so you can stop reading right now if you want. I have been around firearms since age of 12.
My dad gave up firearms because my mother was scared of them but when I got old enough to hunt she made my dad get me a 22, my hunting license and taught me the basics and with this I found 2 veterans that hunted that took me under their wing. Never regretted that schooling a bit.

When I went into the Army at the request of the draft board I left my folks with over 100 rifles to care for. Yea I kind of got the bug to have everything I could get my hands on. My best friend was a hunter and reloader as his dad did a lot of that so we got to do a lot of reloading. All that exposure did me a lot of good in the military and also got me in some trouble sometimes.

Casting is a skill that some just get sick of because it takes time to do it right. Don't dis old people because many of old timers have been in the military and understand all to well what happens when things go bad.

As to your original post question First how much do you shoot now , second how much do you plan to shoot in the future now multiply that number by at least 5 maybe 12 would be better. Why you may ask well for starters what if you are not allowed to buy anymore than you have at any given date in time? You can use what you have but that is all there is for ever.

The most important thing you can do right now is when you ask a question make sure you totally understand the answer and if you don't then tell the person who gave you the answer you don't. Most times old people will help you understand what they are saying if you show you have manners and are polite.

When I was your age I was working on a farm and was in charge of the breeding and feeding program for the farm I worked on. We worked short days in the winter around 10 hours and did late night feedings of the cows around midnight to 2 am and then were in the barn at 4:30 am to start the milking and days work. In the summer we sometimes worked from 4:30am until 10pm getting the hay in before it got rained on or because we had the help to get a lot in or because the boss bought the hay standing in the field and we had only so many days to get it off or lose our rights to it. In case you don't know what standing hay is that is the grass before it has been cut. We bought a 100 acre field of it once and we had it cut, bailed and in the barn in 6 days. The best day we had was 10,000 bales in one day and 30 people helping get it in.

Realize with luck you have a long life ahead of you don't rush it as it does pass by way to fast. I am like I said in my middle 60's and looking to go back to work on a farm and with luck die there. I have seen the best of humanity and the worst and now all I want is to go back where I was 50 years ago working the land and out in the country and enjoying the gifts God gives us each day that for so many go unnoticed and not even thought about.

Never feel you are being ignored as to many you are still learning and don't know what you want. Here where I live you could not even buy 22 ammo as you are too young and therefore no one will even look at you because it could cost them their job if caught even talking to you about ammo or buying such. Think long and hard before you jump to the conclusion that you are being ignored. Sometimes it is more of the person not wanting to be fired for breaking the rules of employment.

Have a great time growing up and learn and listen and watch and look and most of all never forget it was a good many of those Old Men that did some pretty hard things in their life so you can even have a firearm at all. Next time you see a veteran walk up and shake their hand and tell them thanks for their service to America. Just might surprise you the response you get as few even do that today that are adults.

I have shaken the hand of so many veterans that is just a normal thing for me now when I see one. Some of us have to live with some really tough memories and yet we are so proud we stood up when America asked us to and for this HSO calls us home grown terrorists. Why because we know what the price of freedom is and what it means to fight to keep it.

You plan on going in the military one day I hope it is your choice when you are old enough to go and not the government telling you.

Never forget this either a firearm is a tool for good or evil and it is the person who uses that tool that decides which it will be used for. At times you come across as a know it all, lose that as fast as you can, it brands you as a problem and can destroy your chances at things later in life.

May the good Lord keep us all safe and free

Suo Gan
03-06-2012, 12:45 PM

This is the way it is in life. Every job, every place where people gather, be it a sportsmen club, or a softball team, you will have to fit in and take your ribbing before you are accepted...or not. The younger you are the more ribbing you are GOING to get. It is going to be assumed you know basically nothing, and the reason is because you probably don't. That DOES NOT MEAN TO IMPLY old farts do not value young peoples opinions or what they bring to the table. The young inspire the old. Working right it is a symbiotic relationship. If you take your lumps like a man and just take it with a smile, the ribbing will stop...mostly and the knowledge you gain from oldsters will cut your learning curve down. At least that is the plan. From you they get youtful exhuberence and a reason to show off all the knowledge they have acquired, from them you get the knowledge. The only way to pay for that is good natured ribbing. Dealing with grumpy old men is something every young guy should learn to take with a grain of salt. Do you know why? Because we have ALL been in your shoes. I remember my hazing, it was pretty tough. Develop thicker skin and remember my words and it will do you well in life no matter your age.

The bulk 22 ammo is something I have bought for a long time. I store it as you do in ammo cans. I have just general bulk ammo that is 20 years old and there are some duds. I have ancient 22 ammo that is 60 years old and it works perfectly. CCI mini mag works in everything I have tried it in, and the dud factor is low. The last time I bought a box of 500 it was $28.00 I think. I am not sure what it is now. It is worth the extra cost to me at this stage in my life. I believe that in a worse case scenario you could trade 22 ammo and it would be worth more than gold. It is still pretty cheap right now. But 5,000 rounds will last for a loooong time if you need to stretch it. Rabbits would not be shot in those instances, a box trap or snare would be used for instance.

My advice is that you set a realistic goal of 1,000 rounds a year, and also start learning to save money. The worst thing I ever did in my life was blow every penny of things I did not really need. Learn to make due with what you have. Go to the library and get some books on trapping and snaring, if they do not have a lot of selection, ask the librarian if she can help you find books in other libraries and they will ship them out to you.

Blacksmith
03-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Jamesconn

You will also find some older people have very strong opinions about facts they think they know about guns and sometimes they are wrong but even when told they are wrong and even shown they are wrong they will not change their opinion. There are several common ones we run into about casting and leading barrels and what guns can't shoot lead bullets. Some of those people can't be talked to by anyone. There are other people who get uncomfortable when they realize they are talking to someone who knows more than they do especially when that person is younger than them and they quickly blow them off so as not to be shown up.

Keep adding to your knowledge but not everything an older person says is correct, you will learn who to listen to and who to ignore even on this forum. Sometimes even when you are right you need to keep your mouth shut and you will learn how to tell that. Because you started young you will have lots of time to become more knowledgable than most of us when you are our age. But learning is a lifelong thing so be ready to accept new ideas and new facts when new discoveries and informatioin becomes available and never become like the old guy who thinks he knows everything and won't change his opinion even when you show him he is wrong.

Did we answer your question about how much ammo is enough? You see there is no single answer that is right for everyone. You did get a lot of answers and many people gave there reasons to help guide your own thinking. Maybe you also got some new ideas to study and a link or two to explore. I hope most people on this Forum treat you with respect and I am certain most are trying to help you learn.

People at gun shows are mostly concerned about selling guns and other things and unfortunatly as a 16 year old most people don't see you as a very good prospect for a sale. I expect the opposite would be true if a 60 year old walked into a young peoples party no one would talk to them either. You will probably get more attention at gun oriented museums and some people at gun clubs are happy to mentor young people. Try to find an active junior shooting program in your area and you will find lots of people to talk with and share ideas.

jcwit
03-06-2012, 12:50 PM
James your age or my age for that matter has nothing to do with this. You state

I am not sayin cci is bad I just don't understand why people choose to spend 2-3x more money shooting 100 yards there probably is a difference, but all the shooting/hunting I do is within that.

Can the less expensive ammo you refer to place 5 shots into a hole .228/.300 OA consistantly at 50 yards? My expensive ammo can. So yes, there is a place for the high priced ammo.

Just as its improbable that one can do the above with a $100 rifle, not mentioning any brands.

Suo Gan
03-06-2012, 12:54 PM
I'm not dissing old people I didn't mean for this thread to turn into a debate.

I do talk alot and that gets me in trouble some times, but the people at the gun show ignore me completely not a word just a sour look I really want to move the gunshows down here lack quality and what they do have is over priced.

I have learned alot from my elders

Never stop asking questions or seeking the things that interest you. Who really cares if someone thinks you are stupid or ignorant.

Get the chip off your shoulder because no one really cares. Real happiness lies in the heart of a humble man. Humble men know they are stupid and ingnorant, hhaha :-P. Don't worry about all that. Many millionaires are just common people that have holes in their pants and drive old vehicles. Outside of their area, people pay them no mind.

Ickisrulz
03-06-2012, 01:03 PM
I said c r a p to get the stars I have shot a few cci it's fine cept i found a few cci duds before, so they aren't perfect. I think all their products are over priced and people just buy them because the bullets in a egg carton make it look better.

To claim CCI rimfire is bad ammo is so contrary to my experience over the last 30 years, I have to question your interpretation of your findings. I’d look at the gun if you are having duds. CCI’s may not be the most accurate in all my guns, but I cannot remember any duds or inconsistent reports when fired. My only complaint is that it’s usually more expensive when compared with comparable offerings. The exception is Blazers which seem just as good as Federal bulk packs and are more inexpensive.

montana_charlie
03-06-2012, 01:24 PM
I am tired of getting a bunch of **** from people because I talk about guns and I'm not old ...
Your complaints about getting c r a p from old people started after my post, so I guess I am the reason for your discomfort.
This is what was behind my post ...

Fellix asked, "What is the ammo from CCI that everyone seems to like, AND, would buy in quantity if can be had?"

I replied about the CCI Mini Mag which was 'the hot commodity' in the mid seventies, and which has continued until today as a very popular general purpose rimfire load. Many of us 'old guys' kinda grew up shooting Mini Mags.
I only joined the thread to express a liking for the brand and a vote for that loading as the object of a group buy which I would take part in.

I tried all of the brands of .22LR in my early years, looking for accuracy in my particular guns. But, I kept changing guns, too.
By 1976 I had settled on the three rimfires I currently have. That includes a Ruger Mark I, a Ruger 10/22, and an Anshutz 1400. The Mini Mag load shoots well in all three. So, I have been using that product exclusively since your Dad was a baby and have never had a misfire.
That is enough time to develop an opinion about CCI ammo ... which you said it was c r a p.

My post was an opportunity for you to explain why your opinion was more valid than mine ...

CM

bowfin
03-06-2012, 04:09 PM
you have been on this forum long enough to know that there is no such animal as "too much".

This, but keep in mind that there are myriad things that one could or should stockpile. It would be foolish to focus buy 10,000 more rounds of .22 long rifle ammunition when you don't have a working flashlight with extra batteries, or a good pair of pliers, for example.

woody1
03-06-2012, 04:15 PM
If all I want to shoot is tin cans, pine cones floating down the creek, or a swingin' hubcap, I don't much care what ammo I use as long as it's cheap. However, let's think on this a minute. If I'm shooting sage rats or something else that's alive I'd rather the bullet go where I want rather than where it wants. I don't care to have wounded critters crawl off and die. Yes, the federal bulk pack may kill 'em just as dead...if I can hit 'em... so I test my rifles with several brands and types of ammo. James, I can tell you that some of my rifles ( I don't have any expensive match rifles) will put 10 shots of some ammo in a scattering you can't cover with a coffee mug. Same rifle will put other ammo in an inch or less. We're talking 50 yard groups here. At least one of my rifles shoots best with CCI mini mag hps, in fact if I hold right will head shoot a squirrel at 65 yards every time. Just food for thought. Regards, Woody