PDA

View Full Version : New Colt with an old Colt

Hunter
03-23-2007, 12:42 AM
Here is a picture of my Colt Gold Cup Trophy (my constant companion) along with my Colt Detective Special.
Both Colts are excellent handguns (though separated by better than 30 years) and I would trust my life to either.
I have had the GCT a number of years now and she has yet to let me down even with my own cast 200gr LSWC to all sorts of JHPs and FMJ. She will even hold her own at a 100 yards. The Colt Dick Special is also a good shooter and works great as a back up to a Government Model.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/Hunter1911/2006_03220012.jpg

Jack Stanley
03-23-2007, 05:21 PM
Nice looking pair ya got there . I can agree with the part about the Gold Cup , I shot one for years and was impressed with it's ablitiy to feed anything remotely resembling a .45 round .

Jack

9.3X62AL
03-23-2007, 05:29 PM
Ditto here on the GC--but the DetSpec is (my opinion) the BEST rendition of "snubnose" 38 Special ever cobbled up. Just the right size with that V-spring Police Positive frame--smaller than the S&W "K" frame, bigger than the S&W "J" frame, and 6 shots in the wheel. Just right. The newer series like yours can absorb +P loads routinely, too. Built for 'em.

Hunter
03-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Thank you for the kind words Jack. I have had really good results from mine. Good enough I swayed a shooting buddy of mine to get himself one.

Al I agree with you on the Dick Special. I have a few other snubbies but I believe the little Colt to be the best of the lot.
I have noticed right many snubbies in .38 and .357 are limited to 5 rounds but I appreciate the extra round in the cylinder and I do not believe it makes that much difference in the size.

Thank yall.

9.3X62AL
03-23-2007, 05:53 PM
When you consider that the J-frame S&W was designed as either a 6-shot 32 S&W Long or 5-shot 38 S&W platform.......seeing it chambered in 357 Magnum is an "uber" surprise to this here wheelgun fancier. I have partaken of these mini-monsters while qualifying several of their owners during my rangemaster bit at the old agency, and I can't call the experience "pleasant" to either look upon or fire through. Our W-W 158 JHP service loads with their ball powder set up a right impressive flame signature during night firing, for sure.

Well--the brake rotors for Marie's Jeep should be done getting turned at the machine shop. Better get it buttoned up here. Yes, another in the never-ending series of brake jobs for the Fleet Manager/Maintenence Go-Fer II. One potential son-in-law DOES have some mechanical aptitude, I hope The Amazon Horde doesn't drive him off. En masse, they can be a bit much.

MT Gianni
03-23-2007, 06:11 PM
Al, My wife Holly is the oldest of 12 and as she puts it "all boy's but 8". I never met them all until after we were engaged as she was adept at waltzing out the door as soon as I pulled up. We would go out to dinner with her folks but not the rest of the herd. When they see one they want to keep they have their ways. Gianni.

Hunter
03-23-2007, 06:44 PM
I have a Ruger SP 101 in .357 magnum and she is a fine little wheelgun built like a tank, with that said full house .357 magnum defensive loads can be a bit much out of the little wheelgun.
I believe in my heart the .38 S&W Special stoked with the proper defensive loads will more than suffice and with 6 shots vs 5 I have become partial to the Dick Special. Please don't get me wrong I do love the SP 101 and she still serves a home defense purpose as a back up.

KCSO
03-24-2007, 09:17 PM
I have two Colts that are keepers. I have my Dad's dick special bought in 1955 and used so long that in the 70 it went in for a tune up and a new barrel. The other one is an old Army Special made in 1913. Both shoot to POA with 850 fps loads and both have never failed to function. My 1911's are clones as I got tired of buying a Colt and then re buying the gun to make it combat ready. My serious social encounters are all with the 1911 on the hip and the dick special in the pocket and I have survived for 30 years with that combo.

NVcurmudgeon
03-25-2007, 12:47 AM
Deputy Al, every other post of yours seems to involve a brake job. You should tell the ladies that the left pedal is for stopping, not a foot rest, or upgrade to kryptonite pads and shoes.

LAH
03-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Nice Colts..........Creeker