PDA

View Full Version : High Speed Lube Recipies?

Josh Smith
03-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Hi Folks,

Been thinking about maybe starting to handload a bit for the Mosin and the Gew88.

Now, I want to keep speeds up around 2500fps for both. The Gew88 will shoot faster with a given charge because it has a tight bore-to-chamber ratio. Consider it a squeeze bore.

If I go with a heavier boolit, around 200 grain or so, then I'll not have a problem with lowering the speed to 2100 to 2200fps.

I use both to hunt coyotes with using 150 grain jacketed bullets, and would like to shoot to a similar point of aim.

I have an almost unlimited source of Linotype and pure lead. Haven't found a source of antimony yet, but I'm sure I will sooner or later. Figure these boolits will need to be hard.

Never really considered casting for smokeless rifles because I like handloads to duplicate the original loads. However, some of you folks are getting pretty good velocity with minimal-to-no leading and that interests me.

I have hundreds of jacketed bullets (pulled) for the Mosin, so that one isn't as critical to cast for as the Gew88.

Help?

Thanks!

Josh

zomby woof
03-04-2012, 06:10 PM
Lars 2500+

stubshaft
03-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Felix lube will get you to 2700+, LBT Blue Soft, Lotak and White Label 2500 is a good one too.

runfiverun
03-04-2012, 10:08 PM
hardness will be the least of your problems.
protect the boolit at all times casting,loading,and especially during the launch.

randyrat
03-04-2012, 11:30 PM
PM me with your address and I'll send you a sample stick of my TAC#1..It is not a hard lube more of a medium hardness melts above 150 Degs F. Normal warm days no heater needed. Use it in cold climates or warm.
I also will send you the recipe along with the sample

largom
03-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Felix lube will get you to 2700+, LBT Blue Soft, Lotak and White Label 2500 is a good one too.

+1 on the Felix lube. It is all I use now, not because it's cheap but because it's GOOD!

Larry

Larry Gibson
03-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Joshua M. Smith

Been thinking about maybe starting to handload a bit for the Mosin and the Gew88.

Now, I want to keep speeds up around 2500fps for both. The Gew88 will shoot faster with a given charge because it has a tight bore-to-chamber ratio. Consider it a squeeze bore.

Many have tried with those 2 cartridges to get that high of velocity with accuracy with cast bullets. Easy to do with jacketed bullets, not so easy if at all with regular cast bullets. Reason is the 10" or faster twists of both those barrels. You will find accuracy will both in the 1700 - 1900 fps range and if you really, really do everything right you might get useable accuracy upwards of 2000 fps.

If I go with a heavier boolit, around 200 grain or so, then I'll not have a problem with lowering the speed to 2100 to 2200fps.

A 200 gr cast bullet (or any other regular cast bullet for that matter) at 1800 - 1900 fps is a much more realistic expectation. The accuracy with medium to heavy weight regualr cast bullets will not be a function of weight but with RPM:groner:, sorry to bring it up but there it is again.

I use both to hunt coyotes with using 150 grain jacketed bullets, and would like to shoot to a similar point of aim.

If your rifles are zeroed with 150 gr jacketed bullets at 100 or 200 yards then a 400 - 600 yards sight setting will be needed for a 100 yard POA = POI for the cast bullets.

I have an almost unlimited source of Linotype and pure lead. Haven't found a source of antimony yet, but I'm sure I will sooner or later. Figure these boolits will need to be hard.

The linotype will have all the antimony needed already in it. What you need is additional tin. Tim seems very expensive but when you figure in the amounts actually used it isn't bad at all. Rour lead added to the linotype alone will make good alloys; the % of each depends on what the alloy is used for, I suggest starting out with 50/50 and see how that works with what you want.

Never really considered casting for smokeless rifles because I like handloads to duplicate the original loads. However, some of you folks are getting pretty good velocity with minimal-to-no leading and that interests me.

what some are actually getting is the result of many years of experience and know how not to mention the necessary equipment. What others claim is....well....claimed.

I have hundreds of jacketed bullets (pulled) for the Mosin, so that one isn't as critical to cast for as the Gew88.

An excellent cast bullet for the Gew88 is the Lyman 325470. Many times it can be sized at .323 - 325 and used letting the rifle squeeze it down. It also can be sized, GC'd and lubed at .323 - .325 and then pushed through a .318 - .320 sizer.

Help?

I prefer Javelina or 2500+ lubes for all my higher velocity loads.

Larry Gibson

Thanks!

runfiverun
03-05-2012, 09:59 PM
my suggestion is that you read here for more information.
cast boolits are NOT a direct replacement for jaxketed....
i can give you at least 5 lube recipes that will shoot 3k fps, you won't hit anything you aim at, but your bore will be clean.
been there done that.
getting both is the trick,and linotype isn't the answer.
when pushing the 223 over 2700 fps, making the boolits softer actually made tighter groups.