PDA

View Full Version : Chronograph shielding

schutzen
03-22-2007, 11:49 PM
Does any one have any good suggestions about building a shield for chronograph screens? Several weeks ago someone mentioned gas checks striking chronograph screens and the need to shield the screens. There was much discussion about getting the gas checks to grip the boolit better, but very little about shielding your chronograph. I'm new to this chronograph thing, and would like to fabricate a shield before I damage my new chronograph.

georgeld
03-23-2007, 02:45 AM
Yeah, unburned powder will eat holes thru 'em too.
So will a patch!!

1/4" clear plexiglas works fairly well.

Best thing you can do with a Chrony BEFORE it's wrecked.
Is get wooden dowel rods 4'@ .dime each. Cut new sticks and use those metal rods for something else. Hit one and it'll scramble the system.

None of these things are covered under THEIR sorry fkg' warranty either.

Patch hit mine, shipped it in on instructions. Three months later "rec'd. $85"

"return it, short on funds now", never heard from them again.

I'll never buy another Chrony product, ever!!

Hunter
03-23-2007, 03:23 AM
If you use the CED chronograph the LED is not an integral part of the chronograph so the brains of the system is out of harms way.

uscra112
03-23-2007, 03:36 AM
Sometime in the distant past I bought a bundle of bamboo sticks that I think were sold as shishkabob skewers, and have been using them ever since on my Chrony. And wouldn't ya know it? I've never hit one.

Having boasted like that, it'll probably happen this weekend!

tding
03-23-2007, 08:57 AM
I had a local glass shop cut a 18" x 24" piece of 1/4" Lexan and route out a pattern in the center. I attach it to the tripod which holds my CED with a bracket fashioned out of 1/2" pvc pipe.

lurch
03-23-2007, 09:22 AM
If you use the CED chronograph the LED is not an integral part of the chronograph so the brains of the system is out of harms way.

That's why I like my Pact. Have only had to replace the detector housing once - and the reason wasn't my doin'.

Gussy
03-23-2007, 11:28 AM
I got some scrap lexan (softer but shatterproof, it will sctratch easier than plexiglass, but plexiglass will break easily), 1/4" thick from the glass company. I cut it out on a band saw to the correct width, but long. Take a torch (very carefully) or a heat gun and heat it until it is soft, bend to shape. Mine have been in use for many years.

I am shooting with muzzle loaders and black powder, also BPCR. Both have wads of one form or the other and can take out readouts. Also black powder mess. My unit is still clean and in perfect shape.

I use small dowels to hold the screens in place instead of the steel pins that came with it. Made mine a bit longer than originals.
Gus

MT Gianni
03-23-2007, 02:12 PM
McDonalds soda straws work well for screen holders. Gianni

Sundogg1911
03-23-2007, 02:49 PM
I made a Lexan front guard for mine as well. It mounts to the front skyscreen rods. (A chrony Beta) I was tired of lending it to my brother to tweak His paintball guns only to get it back in funky bright color splatter. Typically I will not lend it out anymore. My first Pro Chrono got a .223 straight through it by a friend that said "I probably should have bore sighted before checking velocity" (He did pay me the $$$ for fixing it.) After I bought the Chrony another friend borrowed it and I told Him about the first Guy shooting my pro chrono, and we had a good laugh. He brought it back with 2 skyscreen rods shot off. [smilie=1: I now go to the range with it when someone wants to use it.

oso
03-23-2007, 08:13 PM
I've used a plywood board with a leg tied on each side to prop it up. Also shades the front "eye" to eliminate weird results in the bright Nevada sun (use a piece of cardboard to shade the rear "eye". Can't read the window until I record data (home converted Alpha) but the embedded gas checks haven't penetrated the board yet.

NVcurmudgeon
03-23-2007, 08:38 PM
Not needing transparent screen protectors for my Oehler 34, I made screen protectors from aluminum big enough to cover the skyscreens and !" above them.

Ken O
03-23-2007, 09:22 PM
A piece of angle iron welded to a plate/channel, or whatever you have.

http://my.core.com/~keno/crony.JPG

Uncle Grinch
03-23-2007, 10:13 PM
A piece of angle iron welded to a plate/channel, or whatever you have.

http://my.core.com/~keno/crony.JPG

That sure does look boolit-proof !

Sundogg1911
03-24-2007, 10:55 AM
Ken O,

That looks great! My Chrony isn't a Master though. so the display is in the front and would be blocked. I may send it back to have it converted. Then I can tell everyone I have the Master-Beta, and that cracks me up. (although Chrony has since changed the name to Beta-Master) but after havind 2 chronographs shot i'll have to do something. (even if it's just to stop lending it out!) ;-)

redbear705
03-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Sunndog...just get a printer for your chrony and you will be good to go, as the printer prints your velocities as they are shot!

JR