Fly
03-04-2012, 01:21 PM
I have been doing my chroning at 15 feet.Seems to work for me.What distance
do most of you guy use.I know some like 18ft.How much slower would a
prb be at 18ft opposed 15 ft?

Fly:popcorn:

buyobuyo
03-04-2012, 11:58 PM
I've never shot my M/L over a chrono, but 15 ft sounds reasonable. Mostly I use the chrono for pistol ammo, and I set it up at 7 ft. I think the one time I shot my AR over the chrono I set it up at 15 feet.

mooman76
03-05-2012, 12:44 AM
I have been doing my chroning at 15 feet.Seems to work for me.What distance
do most of you guy use.I know some like 18ft.How much slower would a
prb be at 18ft opposed 15 ft?

Fly:popcorn:

3 ft.:kidding::kidding:

Boz330
03-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Fly, the problems I ran into was that the smoke and or wads can give erroneous readings if it is set too close. I doubt that there would be enough difference in the velocity for a chrono to pic up. I just got to the point that I just shoot for 20ft give or take a little. I just step it off.

Bob

Hanshi
03-05-2012, 01:48 PM
15 to 20 feet will work just fine. You'll lose approx 1fps per foot which is not significant. I just use the chrono figures and never correct back to the muzzle.

Rick Hodges
03-05-2012, 05:46 PM
I set the chrono at 15' and I built a box with a double plexiglass front to set it in. I use a Pro-chony with the display at the front of the chrono. After a near disaster with a gas check that came off, and a few wild sabot's I built the box to withstand those minor impacts. I usually just use the 15' readings but it is easy enough to correct back to the muzzle.

Omnivore
03-05-2012, 07:43 PM
15 feet or so. Mostly I'm interested in the consistency of a load, so it's not critical that I know the exact MV. You can always work back anyway, if you know the projectile's BC. Smoke and gunk does get on the detectors, so some sort of baffle as indicated by Rick Hodges would be a good idea.

Oh; Wind causing the detector assembly to bob is one possible cause of the otherwise unexplainable inconsistency I recently got from one day to the next.

I learned last week that leaving the computer module on the hood of your pickup as you drive off toward home 20 miles is an altogether bad idea, made even worse by doing it in a snow storm (you tend to be unable to find it in 4"+ of snow). On a totally unrelated note; who has a good deal on a module for the CED Millennium?

Coffeecup
03-05-2012, 08:15 PM
I'm with Omnivore in looking for consistency. Mine are generally about 25' away.