PDA

View Full Version : Aa2217 (h1000

mfraser264
03-04-2012, 01:03 PM
After spending endless time reading the books and many posts from Felix, I am using more rifle powders for launching cast slugs.

Having been out of work, then working 2/3 time with limited resources, hand loading and shooting are not to be funded but when you have the supplies you begin to maximize and utilize what you have for one little bright spot in life. Back working full time but still developing this powder.

This being said, I am sitting a pile of AA2217 and was determined to use it with cast in .308. AA2217 per ADI's website is equivalent to H1000 & N170. Yes, this coarse grained, slow burning but it meters well for me and have made excellent progress.

Bullet, RCBS .30 caliber 165 cast of linotype, sized at .310", lubed with BAC Lube Special blend of beeswax, Xlox & Carnauba with gas check seated to a AOL 2.635".

Rifle, stock Savage model 12, 26" heavy barrel fire lapped with Tube's lapping kit, Leupold 6-18 VX-III.

Brass: IMI Match .308 cases, Win or CCI large rifle standard primers.

Group: 1st group - fire formed, neck sized with Lee die
2nd group - full length resizing, then Lyman "M" die
3rd group - full length resizing, NO Lyman "M" die

All bullets seated with RCBS Competition seating die.

Began with 25.0 grains - too low put fired well, no hang fires, a bit of powder left in barrel as expected. Skip loads from 25.0 to 37.0 grains.

At 39.0 grains the report became very strong, recoil good, cases sealing chamber and group size reducing. All the while you watched the point of impact @75 yards rise as velocity increased. Est. velocity at 1,950 fps.

Finally, at 41.0 & 42.0 grains, accuracy was excellent, 1" or less at @75 yards and the boys in the club house thought I was using "J" bullets. Lube is being carried the 26" distance as seen with the Star pattern on the muzzle. 1 granule of powder present in the tube.

THE CLINCHER - loads from group #3 were the best, very tight neck tension.

Currently have 300 more brass in the loop and will continue to refine this load. Will report more finding once weather improves a bit. Thinking that a slightly compressed load with work well which is about 1.5 grains away. There is mil surplus powder available close to H1000 and the cost is very reasonable if you are interested.

The proof will be in the 30 shots groups as anything below 25 data points is not enough to develop the numbers.

mfraser264
10-05-2014, 09:22 PM
Finally posting my results from July, yes it has been busy. Following up on the load develop from the first post. 1x fired brass, full length resize, Lyman "M" die. Unsure of the velocity but the report is very load but recoil not too bad. End result, going to keep using the 42.0 grains and Winchester Large rifle primer. Only a few kernels of powder when inspecting the bore. Below are the results. Better weight sorting of the cast slugs and I have a very inexpensive means of staying on the range for a long time. Again, this began as a result of utilizing what I had in stock. Very pleased with the results. No leadin gin the barrel, cases show little sign of pressure, primers look good. Now, need another low coast IMR type powder.

Yodogsandman
10-06-2014, 04:55 PM
Can't see your photos but, sound like you nailed it! Check out Jeff Bartletts for more powder with the same approximate burn rates.

http://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html