PDA

View Full Version : Lee 358-105-SWC in 9mm C.O.L.?

historicfirearms
03-04-2012, 12:49 PM
I just got the Lee 358-105-SWC mold and cast up a few hundred the other day. I'm trying to come up with a COL that will feed through my BHP. I've sized the boolits to .358, used the lyman m die expander, and a light taper crimp. So far I have tried seating the bullet from just below the crimp groove and almost all the way to the way to the shoulder of the bullet. I can't get more than a couple of rounds off without a FTF jam. The round makes it up the feed ramp, but then "3 point" jams trying to make the turn to straighten out in the chamber. I know a few of you have made this boolit work in a Hi Power, and I think my problem is a COL problem. What length did you use to get this boolit to work in your Hi Power? Also what did you find to be the most accurate load?

MtGun44
03-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Are you taper crimping? You need a TC or you will get feeding problems. I have literally
NEVER had a single failure to feed with this design in any 9mm, but I used it mostly in
my HP.

As to accy, I had good results with Unique, std loadings. What diam are you using? Did
you slug the bore? What lube?

Have you read any of the stickies?

How about this one? http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=121607

Bill

historicfirearms
03-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Bill,
Thanks for the good tips. I tried loading some yesterday again and still keep getting the jam. To answer your questions, yes I am taper crimping, I am sizing to .3585 through my Star and lubing with Carnuba Red, I slugged the bore - it comes out to .3583. I'd like to size larger but my chamber won't take a .360 bullet easily. I have an old Hi Power with the "humped" feed ramp, I'm wondering if that may be part of my problem. I got frustrated and applied what I would consider and excessive taper crimp and they did feed a little better, but then I started getting leading again.

fecmech
03-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Stephan Camps site has something on the old style feed ramps and feed issues.
http://hipowersandhandguns.com/

I know you're not talking HP's but they have a similar nose profile and this may help.
http://hipowersandhandguns.com/my_old_hi_power_will_not_feed_JHPs.%20What%20to%20 do.htm

historicfirearms
03-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Just a quick update: I picked up one of the Mec-Gar mags for the BHP this weekend. The gun runs like a champ now. The new mag seems to better align the round with the chamber, so it doesn't have to "make the bend" from the feed ramp into the chamber as hard.

.5mv^2
03-12-2012, 11:04 PM
I have found what works with the Lee 105 SWC in my 9mm is .98". I size them to .358" Have shot them in a Beretta, glock KT and HiPoint.

I found that WSF makes a good powder. Worked up my load. The round is pretty short so not much room for powder.

I just got the Lee 358-105-SWC mold and cast up a few hundred the other day. I'm trying to come up with a COL that will feed through my BHP. I've sized the boolits to .358, used the lyman m die expander, and a light taper crimp. So far I have tried seating the bullet from just below the crimp groove and almost all the way to the way to the shoulder of the bullet. I can't get more than a couple of rounds off without a FTF jam. The round makes it up the feed ramp, but then "3 point" jams trying to make the turn to straighten out in the chamber. I know a few of you have made this boolit work in a Hi Power, and I think my problem is a COL problem. What length did you use to get this boolit to work in your Hi Power? Also what did you find to be the most accurate load?

GunFun
05-04-2013, 06:12 PM
What would you suggest as a starting load / aprox max for this in 9mm? I have BullsEye, universal and WSF.

I have a Taurus PT99-AF and an old Hi-point 995. I'd prefer to make a load that will run in everything, but these two seem to like a fat bullet.

Thanks.

Blintersifrid
05-08-2013, 08:37 AM
I can't speak to the PT-99, but I think that the Hi-Point 995 will not thank you for using this boolit.

They like 125 grains of lead over 6 grains of Blue Dot very, VERY much, though.
Sized appropriately to your barrel, this is the accuracy load worked up by several members of the Hi-Point Firearms Forum. I misremember what they recommended for COL, but I'm not entirely sure that it matters to most of us who just plink with our Monkey Guns.

Edit: Whoops! I just realized that I already gave you the acc load for the 995. Sorry. Oh well, maybe someone else can use it that finds it here.

'Sifrid

GunFun
05-08-2013, 12:57 PM
I was actually asking about the 105 grn SWC.

I've been shooting the 124 grain one with 4.3 grn of BE at a COL of 1.125" and lately 1.130" out of those two 9mms for a bit now with good results. Lube is 45/45/10 Alloy is 50/50 lead/CLWW water dropped. The last batch came in large and had to be sized. usually they come in at a consistent .358

My new105 grain mold seems to be all over the place in the size it drops. Sizing to .357 pretty much eliminates the grease grooves. with the same alloy and method.

Blintersifrid
05-08-2013, 02:08 PM
I dunno about the sizing thing. It does sound weird.
I'm watching this thread with interest - especially after your last question on it - as I am looking at this exact type of slug as a possible 9mm head.

'Sifrid