PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Scope Rings for Heavy Recoil

wtfooptimax200
03-04-2012, 10:23 AM
What are you favorite scope rings (capable of attaching to a weaver base) for heavy recoil applications? I was looking at the Weaver 6 Hole Tactical Rings and they look like they have a great deal of gripping power. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Branden

Gtek
03-04-2012, 10:53 AM
On some of my thumpers I use the Weaver steel base and the Sure Grip rings. It takes a couple times to get to tight. I found the best way was to set up gaps with feeler guage even on sides then get level/level and quater turn each X pattern to tight. 300 Win, 45/70, 450M, no problems. Gtek

BD
03-04-2012, 11:30 AM
I'm a believer in Warne steel rings. They haven't let me down yet, and they can be torqued to spec without rotating the scope. On my AR thumper I'm using the Burris PEPR mount. It's at about 1,000 rounds and still tight.
BD

subsonic
03-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Leupold PRW rings, but they will leave a mark on the tube. They won't budge though.

Follow the torque specs on the package for best results.

stubshaft
03-04-2012, 10:26 PM
Warne steel rings for me.

tenx
04-21-2012, 04:08 AM
Lapping the rings increases surface contact between scope and rings providing more holding power and less slippage. Plus the benifit of reducing or eliminating ring marks on the scope tube.

excess650
04-21-2012, 07:18 AM
Burris Signature rings in 1" or 30mm. They have poly inserts that self align, and come in various sizes so the scope can be straight or tipped. My 30-06 cast boolit rifle has a 20moa base, +/-20 inserts and lots of elevation. I've shot it to 1000 yards.

For other rings you can put some painter's tape or Locite on the insides of the rings to get a better grip on the scope.

Lefty SRH
04-21-2012, 07:45 AM
TPS rings are very wel made and strong, just follow the directions closely.

southpaw
04-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Burris Signature rings in 1" or 30mm. They have poly inserts that self align, and come in various sizes so the scope can be straight or tipped.

+1 They are what I use on my guns. 338 wm and 338RUM are 2 of the heavy kickers and I have not had a problem. I love how you can take the scope off and it doesn't look like it was ever mounted on a gun.

Jerry Jr.

04-22-2012, 12:53 PM
I have used several different types over the years for guns up thru heavy recoil 45 cals. I still like the old style Weaver with the steel wrap-over strap. One way to beef up a mount system is to re-D&T the base mount screws- going from 6x48 to 8x40. Then to help hold scope and help prevent scope marring, use a lapping bar before clamping down the scope tube. A pretty extensive test was done a few years ago on this very subject, "what's the strongest scope mount system". Hard to believe in this age of marketingmagnumtacticalitis, but the old style Weaver system was as strong as any and stronger than many.

CJR
04-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Because of the flexing of my Mag action with medium heavy barrel, the Loc-tited mounting screws holding my Leupold windage adjustable scope base would always loosen up; particularly the rear screw. Likewise, the Leupold rings would deform.

I changed to a Ken Farrell steel Picatinny base ( which stiffened the action), had the action redrilled/tapped for 8-40 screws, and put steel TPS rings on the scope. With the TPS rings, you can inexpensively change out the cross bolts to either precisely fit the slots on a Weaver base or precisely fit the slots on a Picatinny base without any slop. This setup has worked well for me.

Best regards,

CJR

Nobade
04-22-2012, 09:53 PM
TPS rings are my favorite as well. No other ring set of comparable quality is available for anywhere near the price. But they will not work on Weaver bases unless the slots are opened up wider. They fit Picatinny bases, which are very similar to Weaver but have wider slots.

tenx
06-14-2012, 06:57 AM
any ring that can be lapped will hold a lot better not to mention not marking/scratching/dinging up the scope tube. just do it.

Doc Highwall
06-14-2012, 06:01 PM
I like the Warne steel rings. I had some Leupold rings mounted on my T/C pistol in 375 Winchester and the recoil sheared the recoil lugs off the rings. The Leupold rings have a cut in them where the Warne have a solid recoil lug.

TheCelt
06-15-2012, 09:04 AM
Badger Max-50 steel....designed for the 50 BMG they are ROCK solid

EdS
06-15-2012, 02:10 PM
It's alwayws a good idea to lap the LOWER rings once they are firmly attached to the base or receiver. Another thing that will help keep scopes from moving in the rings is rosin. Brownells sells powdered rosin and I've used it in scope rings and in barrel clamps when trying to unscrew stubborn barrels from the receiver. - Ed

ebner glocken
06-15-2012, 07:10 PM
I used to be a fan of leupold rings until I bought a BFR in .500 smith. Never could keep a scope from sliding. 44man gave me a bit of advise to use warne rings, problem fixed. Now I don't buy anything else if available.

Leupold scopes seem to take the beating more than any other optic I have used.

Ebner

Rick Hodges
06-15-2012, 07:56 PM
I don't know what you consider a heavy recoiling gun. I am a fan of Warne rings and they work very well with heavy loads in a Marlin GG in 45/70. I don't shoot a lot of them but have worked up loads with 350 gr. J words in excess of 2000 fps. plenty of recoil in my book, and the warne rings work just fine.