PDA

View Full Version : skeet shot ?

jetsfan-24
03-04-2012, 12:38 AM
ok i found a real good skeet range maybe tons of it how,s the best way to get it ? and whats it worth to sell i have WAY more ww than i,ll ever shot now

runfiverun
03-04-2012, 01:12 AM
shop vac would be the easiest.
or shovel it up,take it home and wash the dirt out of it.
shot is covered with graphite, you'll want to get as much of that off before smelting.
if you decide to just sell it as shot you'll get less for it.

if you do get a bunch p.m. me please.
for some plain shot, thats been washed, i would most likely buy some of it.

stubshaft
03-04-2012, 01:20 AM
Small sluice box, just like gold, lead is much heavier than dirt. Run a hose over it and the lead will settle out.

Sonnypie
03-04-2012, 01:58 AM
I actually buy bags of new Magnum Shot for my pistol casting.
Magnum Shot has 4-6% Antimony added to the lead to make it harder so it has a denser pattern. (Kind of a way for Trap and Skeet shooters to cheat. :wink: )

Reclaimed lead has a lot of odds and ends in it. I was advised to forgo it for the new bagged shot.
It has proven to be sound advice.
But I bet you could clean it to better than WW cleanliness.
Any impurities should float anyway. Just like clips float out of WW, I would expect steel shot or copper-clad shot, and sand, rocks, or dirt to come off in the dross (slag).

I put the shot (#7.5) right in my furnace and flux well with English walnut shell lizard bedding. I add a small amount of Lead Free Solder for a taste of tin.
The cast bullets have tested out at 11.8 to 12.1 BHN. And they shoot great out of my 45 ACP.

I don't even worry about the graphite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphite). 1. It is a lubricant. and 2. It is an element.
IF any of it permeates the lead, it just makes it more slickery.

One of the more attractive things about shot is I can use it two ways:
As lead for casting. Or as shot for reloading shotgun hulls.
To me it is one of those win-win items.

And I've been thinking about casting some rifle bullets from it to test.