PDA

View Full Version : Nose shape?

mellonhead
03-03-2012, 08:18 PM
I just got a Freedom Arms in 500 Wyoming Express and have been playing around on Mountain Molds site. I have been working on a 450 grain mold. I am usually a SWC kinda guy but have been thinking about trying something different. You guys that have alot of experience with different nose shapes let me know what you think about a LFN style and a truncated cone. I have messed with the LFN style in the 45 colt but never anything any bigger. I have never tried a truncated cone at all. I have had alot of luck with a SWC with both accuracy and on game. Thanks guys.

Toby

subsonic
03-03-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm no expert, but I have had good luck with WFN and WLNs, and haven't played much with LFNs, but they are said to be the most accurate of the three. I surmise that noses over 75% meplat get more "tricky" and unstable in some circumstances.

I have had decent, but not spectacular results with "keiths". One in particular, the 45-270SAA Soured me on them. But the 44-250-K has been pretty good. 358429 hit or miss.

mellonhead
03-03-2012, 08:50 PM
I have had no luck with the WFN style of bullet. But I normaly do not run stuff to the top end where I think a WFN needs to be ran. I usually shoot for about 1100-1200 fps. Have you ever tried a truncated cone in anything?

Toby

subsonic
03-03-2012, 08:58 PM
I shot 230gr TCs like for a ACP out of my .45 colt by crimping over the ogive. They shot better than expected, but I did not really wring them out.

I think you are on the right track with the LFN.
When comparing it to the TC, you are forcing more lead in the case for the same weight because the nose is lighter (less volume). Also, you don't guide the nose into the forcing cone with the TC. I think most people have problems with WFNs when the RPMs are low for the weight. Most WFNs are heavy for caliber.

mellonhead
03-03-2012, 09:04 PM
I am leaning towards the LFN style. I am kinda intrigued about the truncated cone though.

white eagle
03-03-2012, 10:24 PM
I do not believe that nose shape has a bunch to do with accuracy
the jury is still out on that one
(at least for me)

subsonic
03-03-2012, 10:36 PM
http://www.mountainmolds.com/helpOgive.htm
http://www.mountainmolds.com/helpRevolver.htm

If you haven't read those, check em out.

bobthenailer
03-04-2012, 07:18 PM
I have 2 moulds with the LFN design and both are extremely accurate from my revolvers. the LFN would be my first choice for accuracy at 50 yards & beyond

mellonhead
03-04-2012, 08:46 PM
I am leaning towards the LFN style. I have never messed with a truncated cone and didn't know what to expect. I need to wait till the gun is in hand(hopefully by Wednesday) to see how long of a front band I can have anyway. Thanks guys.

Toby

subsonic
03-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Definitely don't order til you have the gun in hand.
The throats and tapered lead may factor in heavily, unless your plan involves making the gun fit the boolits or else.