PDA

View Full Version : What is this thing???

ZakAttackMan
03-03-2012, 06:04 PM
I came across a bunch of old reloading equipment that my dad had and I have no idea what this is or what it is worth???

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac311/zakattack_photo/PICT0586.jpg

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac311/zakattack_photo/PICT0587.jpg

GRUMPA
03-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Alright I get the first guess on this it seems.

Roll crimper for a 12ga.
I think that big 12 stamped on it means something to do with a 12ga round.

1Shirt
03-03-2012, 06:23 PM
It is an Ideal shotgun roll crimping tool from someplace between the turn of the century to probably the 1940's. It rolled the paper edge of the shell inside to hold the card over shot wad in place. Very efficient in its day. They show up periodically on e-bay.
1Shirt!

canebreaker
03-04-2012, 02:16 AM
Ah, you know your history on that crimper. I remember helping my granddad with that press as late as 1965.

ZakAttackMan
03-04-2012, 05:53 AM
Is it worth anything? I would rather sell it to someone who would enjoy it than keep it for myself.

Rio Grande
03-04-2012, 06:44 AM
Is it worth anything? I would rather sell it to someone who would enjoy it than keep it for myself.
No idea what it is worth, but I'd love to have it.
I load w/ hand tools for an NEF single-shot 12, cork and card wads, and I have been wanting to learn the art of roll-crimping.

You experts out there - would these old tools work w/ plastic shells as well as paper ones?

diehard
03-04-2012, 11:06 AM
would these old tools work w/ plastic shells as well as paper ones?

Not an expert...but I have one of those and get mixed results so I rarely use it. Success depends on the thickness and pliability of the plastic it seems to me. Thin and skimpy hulls do better. Cheap Nobel hulls or skivvied Fiocchi hulls seem to do okay. Everything else...well, I'd stick to a modern roll crimp head and a power drill. Actually, it's been awhile since I tried the old crimper, but I packed it away for a reason.

GRUMPA
03-04-2012, 05:17 PM
As far as what it's worth...ummm... I'd got to someplace like Gunbroker and see (IF)what they sold for. You never know you might get lucky.

diehard
03-04-2012, 10:22 PM
I bumped into this Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1ygz_cjk24) this afternoon. This guy uses one of these tools with Fiocchi hulls with good results. Like I said...certain hulls came out okay for me, but never as good as the $11.99 nylon crimp head I got from Precision Reloading. Of the three heads I have, the nylon one works best for me . . However, I can see by this video that with the right technique better crimps might be possible. Perhaps I'll dig my tool out and play some more next weekend .

LUBEDUDE
03-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Those old roll crimping tools average $12-$20 on ebay. A times some nut thinks just because it is old and gun related it is worth more and they will start the bid at $99.

A lot of times they are bundled with a bunch of other old time shotgun reloading hand tools as well, so the pricing varies.

These roll crimpers are not uncommon, but cool to have on the bench for conversation.