PDA

View Full Version : Best AR 15 sling

41 mag fan
03-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Am looking to upgrade my slings I have on my AR's. Was wondering whats the best style, affordability, and advantage of different slings.
Thanks for any input on this.

RU shooter
03-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Am looking to upgrade my slings I have on my AR's. Was wondering whats the best style, affordability, and advantage of different slings.
Thanks for any input on this.
Are you going to be using them as a shooting sling or just for carrying the rifle ? For me I went with using the simple M1 Garand canvas sling for match shooting , I used the 1907 type leather and synthetic biothane slings for about 4 yrs shooting highpower, For me I like the simple canvas sling easy to rig and adjust ,just as stable and dosent slide on my arm. For me simple works best.

41 mag fan
03-03-2012, 08:23 PM
That one I don't know, have been thinking of switching to a tactical sling. Truthfully slings are not much of something I've been concerned with since guns like my AR I just step out back to shoot.

EDK
03-04-2012, 09:01 PM
The local gun shop just installed an ambidextrous replacement end plate for H&K type hooks on my ROCK RIVER with telescoping stock. I am experimenting with the single point sling after doing some reading on various forums...so far, so good. I find I like the single point on the shortie a lot better than a sling in the conventional mode. Like you, I only have to walk down the hill to my private shooting range...a true luxury!...BUT I've got targets, ammo, and other guns to carry.

:redneck::cbpour::guntootsmiley:

41 mag fan
03-05-2012, 07:11 PM
The local gun shop just installed an ambidextrous replacement end plate for H&K type hooks on my ROCK RIVER with telescoping stock. I am experimenting with the single point sling after doing some reading on various forums...so far, so good. I find I like the single point on the shortie a lot better than a sling in the conventional mode. Like you, I only have to walk down the hill to my private shooting range...a true luxury!...BUT I've got targets, ammo, and other guns to carry.

:redneck::cbpour::guntootsmiley:

What about the 3 point sling? That's kind of where I'm looking right now. I just don't really know the advantages and disadvantages of the 1 point or 3 point ect.

For me, it's a matter of 8' to the table on the deck from the patio doors.

Lefty SRH
03-05-2012, 07:20 PM
I've got a Magpul sling on my AR. Even though I DON"T care for an AR, the sling is quite handy.

RP
03-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Well Well Well I have just started making my slings out of paracord. One of my ARs I made long and it goes over my head and under one arm so i can place the rifle behind me or to my side also being able to pull it up to fire very quickly. One another i made it just to carry over my shoulder. After looking at it again I am going to put the attachment on that I cant hook the sling at the buffer tube and shorten the sling up. So to answer your ? is the best sling I think in cost is the sling you make out of paracord its cheap and useful. But I am still playing around with what I like right now.

Rustolium
03-05-2012, 08:22 PM
What about the 3 point sling? That's kind of where I'm looking right now. I just don't really know the advantages and disadvantages of the 1 point or 3 point ect.

For me, it's a matter of 8' to the table on the deck from the patio doors.

I'd recomend against the 3-point sling, it's very complicated for what you get. However, I do recomend a quality 2-point sling. I have a Viking Tactics 2-point padded sling, it's very comfortable.

Shiloh
03-05-2012, 09:05 PM
I prefer a cotton web sling. A couple of the folks have those "Pulse Absorbing" slings. Don't know what they are called.

Shiloh

41 mag fan
03-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Interesting ideas and opinions on sling preference.

EDK
03-07-2012, 12:44 AM
Interesting ideas and opinions on sling preference.

IF you're not a LEO or military with regulations, you've got a lot of options. There are a myriad of different ways to use any given type of sling. I'm toying with getting a saddle ring for several of my shorter barrelled MARLINS so I can use a single point sling on them. Talk about a way to give "the equipment nazis" at some cowboy action shooting sites a heart attack!...then show them some of the Frederic Remington paintings of civil war/indian wars cavalrymen. Funny how some things keep getting re-invented.

:redneck::cbpour:

NuJudge
03-10-2012, 08:11 PM
I dislike shooting the AR in Service Rifle matches, but I shoot it better than anything else, and I use the USGI web sling. The sling is cheap and infinitely adjustable. The best Service Rifle shooters seem to all use Leather slings, but that does not work for me.

The Tactical shooters seem to use One or Two point slings, depending on which Guru they subscribe to, but I'm not an expert.

plmitch
03-11-2012, 12:57 PM
I've been using the Irene Adaptive Sling. Good stuff. http://missionspec.com/

41 mag fan
03-11-2012, 03:40 PM
I've been using the Irene Adaptive Sling. Good stuff. http://missionspec.com/

That sling looks very interesting. I'm thinking along the lines of what i'm wanting.