PDA

View Full Version : How do you determine what Contender pistol what version?

Shooter6br
03-03-2012, 02:53 PM
i see Contender pistols used at local gunshop. I am at a loss what model(version) is what. i think there are 3 versions. Is there a way to know which is which? Also what is the differance in the versions? Thanks Rick :killingpc

jhalcott
03-03-2012, 08:12 PM
There are generation 1 Contenders and Generation 2 contenders .Then you go into the Encores. The contenders are designed for less potent rounds like the 30-30 and 7TCU ,etc.. The Encores are bigger ,stronger and capable of MUCH more potent rounds like the .375 H&H.

stubshaft
03-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Gen #1 had the opening lever pivot point near the front of the receiver and the safety on the hammer consisted of a square block that was inset into the top of the hammer. The Gen #2 had the lever pivot point almost directly over the trigger, the safety was a lever on the top of the hammer that pivoted left and right. The Gen #3 is the G2 model and has side panels like an Encore, with very similar trigger components. The grips from the first two interchange but will not fit the G2.

I prefer the first and second generation receivers because the triggers were so much better. BUT, you had to get the hang of "snapping" the lever to open the first gen guns. Built calluses on my middle finger.