PDA

View Full Version : Alloy questions

btroj
03-03-2012, 12:22 PM
I am thinking aout mixing some alloy for multiple uses. Most will be used in handguns but some may be used in 30-30 and 45-70 loads.

I have lead pipe, monotype, and some magnum shot.

Planning to use 18 pounds lead pipe, 2 pounds monotype, and a pound of magnum shot. The shot is strictly to add some As for hardened when water dropped. I have some 40% Sn bar solder I can add if needed.

I figure this should be a good general use alloy and would expand well from the 30-30.

Any comments?

felix
03-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Make the alloy without shot and test the water dropped. Then do the same again, but including the shot. Compare both in all guns which are targeted. I bet the difference would show adding the shot will not be cost effective. ... felix

felix
03-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Btroj, it's best to get the arsenic, when needed, from a known source, like 95 tin - 5 arsenic within a custom made RotoMetals bar. The bar should last a lifetime, depending, of course, on your shooting habits. ... felix

btroj
03-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Did not know Rotometals made such a beast. Tha would be an awesome piece of metal to have. Made into 1 or 2 ounce chunks it would be very valuable as an additive.

badbob454
03-03-2012, 03:04 PM
i think your original formula would work well try it and test it
if you have the shot why not use it?
i think the accuracy may suffer without the addition of the shot , it will be harder with the addition

bumpo628
03-03-2012, 04:11 PM
I am thinking aout mixing some alloy for multiple uses. Most will be used in handguns but some may be used in 30-30 and 45-70 loads.

I have lead pipe, monotype, and some magnum shot.

Planning to use 18 pounds lead pipe, 2 pounds monotype, and a pound of magnum shot. The shot is strictly to add some As for hardened when water dropped. I have some 40% Sn bar solder I can add if needed.

I figure this should be a good general use alloy and would expand well from the 30-30.

Any comments?

Here are few recipes:
18 lbs pure + 2 lbs Monotype = alloy with 0.9% tin, 1.9% antimony
18 lbs pure + 2 lbs Monotype + 1 lbs Shot = alloy with 0.85% tin, 2.1% antimony, 0.05% arsenic
18 lbs pure + 2 lbs Monotype + 2 lbs Shot = alloy with 0.8% tin, 2.2% antimony, 0.1% arsenic

btroj
03-03-2012, 05:45 PM
I like the number on my original idea. Should harden up over time or even better if water dropped. In looking at th LASC page the hardening may take more time due to the low Sb content, that isn't an issue to me.

The 2% Sb, 1% Sn should cast well enough and would be good for hollow points at rifle velocities. I think a trial run is in order, I just need decent smelting weather.