PDA

View Full Version : Peabody carbine 50 rf

Frank46
03-03-2012, 12:21 AM
Just received a peabody carbine in 50 rim fire. I would like to get the block reworked
or purchase another center fire or rim fire block and get that reworked and save the origional. Anyone have info on the origional 50 caliber rim fire cartridge regarding bullet weight and powder charges?. And what modern brass case could be used for a centerfire 50 caliber cartridge? Was thinking 348 win as I have some new/old brass sitting around doing nothing. Am open to any suggestions. Thanks, Frank

missionary5155
03-03-2012, 06:36 AM
Good morning
Have one of the Peabody state contract rifles in 45-70..
Anyway some time back saw a ceterfire block on Gunbroker for sale. Do a search with just Peabody and maybe it is still there.
Mike in Peru

NickSS
03-03-2012, 07:05 AM
There were several 50 cal RF shells but the most used in the US was the 5650 spencer round. Brass and dies for this cartridge is available from Buffalo Arms but you probably need a chamber cast before determining the particular round you need. As for a breach block to convert lots of luck. You might want to contact providence tool co and see if they can sell you a CF block that will fit your rifle as they are making new peabodys the last I heard.

Ed in North Texas
03-03-2012, 10:42 AM
If you can't get the breech block changed, another possibility might be the "rimfire" reloadable cases, if made in whatever case you need. Dixie Gun Works has/had these (and I'd guess other sources are around). They are cases which use a .22 RF blank as the "primer" in a "primer pocket" which is off-set to the side of the case so the RF firing pin can strike the .22 case and fire the round. Not cheap (they are turned from solid brass rod stock), but if that is the only way to get an old timer firing again...

Ed

Frank46
03-04-2012, 01:17 AM
Thanks guys. The new peabody company is my fall back so will send a e-mail monday. Just spent some time cleaning the barrel. 3 groove rifling gonna be fun trying to get some decent measurements. I had thought about the 56-50 spencer but need to do some research on case length and bullet diameters. The bore is actually pretty nice. Some pits but overall in really nice shape. This is one carbine that I wish to get shooting. Thanks again, Frank