PDA

View Full Version : The 45 Schofield

FAsmus
06-28-2005, 03:20 PM
I have recently purchaced a new production S&W Schofield revolver.

Does any member have cast bullet loads for this pistol?

All assistance appriciated.

Good afternoon,
Forrest

KCSO
06-29-2005, 10:09 AM
The S/A answer is that I have about 500 left and if you send me the gun I will shoot them all up. Is your gun chambered for the S and W round or the 45 Colt? I shot a Navy Arms quite a bit, but mine was in Colt and I noticed that with some smokless loads (read Unique) I got some leading with the shorter shells. My favorite load was 28 grs of FFg elephant and a 230 gr bullet lubed with a good B/P lube. This load needed cleaning in the tight Navy after about 25 shots. In smokeless I tried Unique HP38 and ended up shoting 5.5 of Green Dot for a mild cowboy load. I stuck with the same 230 gr RNFP bullet. I didn't try ANY warmer loads in the top break as I don't think they are as strong as the solid frame guns. I shot an original army issue that belonged to a friend and we only shot B/P in the gun.

FAsmus
06-29-2005, 04:43 PM
Is your gun chambered for the S and W round or the 45 Colt?

KCSO,

Sorry, for not mentioning that this one is in 45 Schofield.

KCSO: In smokeless I tried Unique HP38 and ended up shoting 5.5 of Green Dot for a mild cowboy load. I stuck with the same 230 gr RNFP bullet.

F: This in your 45LC chambering of course.

So far in my S&W reproduction gun I have fired 5.0 grains Bullseye under the 230 grain bullet. This burns clean and shoots to point-of-aim but only so-so accuracy.

Thanks and if anyone esle has a 45 Schofield just let me know what you're feeding it for best accuracy and performance.

Good afternoon,
Forrest