PDA

View Full Version : Shaking Things Up...

TXGunNut
03-02-2012, 10:39 PM
I have three WW '94's in my safe that can't seem to escape, and I have a loosely enforced policy against safe queens. Oldest is a Trapper in 30-30 4910XXX, next oldest is a Big Bore in .375 Win BB047XXX, newest is a Trapper in 45 Colt 6234XXX. None are collectors' items but all are increasing in value most years. All are 95-98% guns.
Here's the problem: only one has been to the range in the past 25 yrs.
And no this isn't an offer to sell, just trying to figure out what to do with them. All have the original open sights and I can't use them any more. The .45 has a sight insert from One Ragged Hole so it's useable in theory, just never makes it to the range. Had a receiver sight on the 30-30, it's on my .32 now. The Big Bore has taken a few deer and a huge coyote/dog cross but it hasn't been hunting in years. The other two went along as backup guns a time or two but never got uncased, as far as I know. I'm thinking I need to sell one or more, what do ya'll think?

wv109323
03-02-2012, 11:20 PM
If you don't have to feed it-keep it. My desires run incycles. If I got rid of them in about five years I would want them back.
I know what you mean by not being able to see the sights. Have you thought of getting a set of glasses made so that you can stiil shoot the irons.

TXGunNut
03-02-2012, 11:26 PM
Due for new glasses, last set not helpful. I agree about the seller's remorse but tempted to risk it. Getting ready to order a Sharps and mebbe a few shooter leverguns.

Lonegun1894
03-03-2012, 02:41 AM
I haven't had to do this --yet--but have read several posts about shooters having a special set of glasses made specifically for shooting, as opposed to reading, driving, etc. May be something to look into before you sell things that would likely be very hard to replace on down the line. Either way, best of luck with this decision, cause it may be a tough one no matter what.

stubshaft
03-03-2012, 02:50 AM
I've had sellers remorse more than once.

runfiverun
03-03-2012, 06:20 AM
you'll miss the 375....

Olevern
03-03-2012, 08:58 AM
I recently purchased a gun from a LGS (nice 4 5/8" Ruger 44 mag stainless steel pistol with faux ivory grips) and the dealer commented, "Harry won't be buying that one back". When asked he explained that Harry was an older gentleman who came in frequently to browse and talk. Once in awhile he would bring in a gun and state that he wanted to sell it because he didn't use it anymore. Dealer would make him an offer and Harry would accept, collect his money and go his way. More often than not, Harry would show up in a week or two, see his old gun in the showcase, ask to look at it, and then state something like "that's a nice piece, I think I'll take it home with me". He would then purchase his old gun at the marked up price. Some of his guns he had re-purchased multiple times. Apparently the poor old gent didn't even recognize it as something he had so recently sold the dealer. Alzheimers is a terrible thief.

Bret4207
03-03-2012, 09:00 AM
you'll miss the 375....

Thats the one I'd want...and couldn't possibly afford.:killingpc

TXGunNut
03-03-2012, 10:29 AM
you'll miss the 375....

Maybe, maybe not. It is my second CF rifle, still have my first. Ranch Dog's thread about reboring a Rossi got me thinking about a second life for my .375 dies and components. Big Bore should bring enough to cover everything but the glass. I may replace the 30-30 with a shooter Marlin and the .45 with a 92 in 44-40, possibly .45.
I think the proper replacements will ease the buyer's remorse. It's frustrating to have perfectly good rifles idle for years, I didn't even shoot them when I could see the rear sight. I'm not planning on replacing the rifles any time soon as I have too many other projects to keep me busy. I'm also coming very close to ordering a Sharps and it would be nice to pay for it out of my gunsafe rather than savings.

Boerrancher
03-03-2012, 10:29 AM
I have sold and traded many guns away that I wish I now had. A couple of my biggest regrets was a Mod 99F savage in a 284 Win, which they were never suppose to have made, and the other was a Limited edition Colt Python Number 156 of 1000. I would trade just about any two guns I own now to have either of them back. There is nothing wrong with safe queens. They don't eat anything just sitting there, and later on you may find that you have a need for it once more.

Best wishes,

Joe

TXGunNut
03-03-2012, 10:43 AM
There is nothing wrong with safe queens. They don't eat anything just sitting there, and later on you may find that you have a need for it once more.

Best wishes,

Joe

Sage advice, Joe. Only in my situation these are nothing special, just nice rifles. I don't recall how well the 375 shoots and the Trappers shoot fairly well but really haven't bothered to shoot either enough to develop an optimal load or do serious testing.

Haggway
03-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Grand Kids? They always are great for that kind of thing.

Ed in North Texas
03-03-2012, 10:56 AM
I recently purchased a gun from a LGS (nice 4 5/8" Ruger 44 mag stainless steel pistol with faux ivory grips) and the dealer commented, "Harry won't be buying that one back". When asked he explained that Harry was an older gentleman who came in frequently to browse and talk. Once in awhile he would bring in a gun and state that he wanted to sell it because he didn't use it anymore. Dealer would make him an offer and Harry would accept, collect his money and go his way. More often than not, Harry would show up in a week or two, see his old gun in the showcase, ask to look at it, and then state something like "that's a nice piece, I think I'll take it home with me". He would then purchase his old gun at the marked up price. Some of his guns he had re-purchased multiple times. Apparently the poor old gent didn't even recognize it as something he had so recently sold the dealer. Alzheimers is a terrible thief.

As you wrote that "Harry" was paying full price to get the gun back, the story says a lot about the dealer too.

Ed

TXGunNut
03-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Grand Kids? They always are great for that kind of thing.

Sadly, no. Have two wonderful nieces but they and their husbands have less than even a casual interest in the firearms I love. One owns a rifle but has fired it very little, never hunted.

jmsj
03-03-2012, 11:04 AM
TXGunNut,
All three of those Winchesters are interesting and collectable. Only you can decide if they should be traded off for something else.
I have traded/sold off guns in the past and some I have severly regreted letting go and some have allowed me to get a more usefull/desireable gun.
The ones I regret the most have been the ones that had to get sold off to pay bills. I have recently dusted off a couple of Winchester 94's and have been casting,loading and shooting them. One of them almost got traded off and it is the one I have been shooting the most. I am sure glad I did not trade that one.
I too have been having problems seeing iron sights this year and have been resistance to changing to optics on some firearms. I have found that using a Lyman or Williams receiver sight and a gold bead front sight has allowed me to shoot some good groups again.
If it they were mine and money was not an issue, I would keep them and wait for my interest in them to come back around.
good luck, jmsj

Finster101
03-03-2012, 11:05 AM
As you wrote that "Harry" was paying full price to get the gun back, the story says a lot about the dealer too.

Ed

Thankyou. I thought the same thing about the gun dealer. We have quite a few older folks retired here in FL and some of the things that go on are just shameful.

I might be interested in the .45 trapper if you do decide to sell it. Personally, I'm much better at buying than selling or trading. Seems as soon as money changes hands I am already wishing I had'nt sold it.

TXGunNut
03-03-2012, 11:51 AM
I may regret this but if the dealer is buying and selling for a fair price and the old gent is enjoying spending his disposable income I don't have a problem with either transaction. Once the dealer buys a gun it's his to sell to any legal buyer for a price they agree on. If the dealer is taking advantage of the situation that's another matter, but it's likely he's not. It may upset the old gent to remind him that his memory is slipping away. Soon enough he won't be able to enjoy his hobby, I'd let him have a little fun while he still can.

runfiverun
03-03-2012, 03:33 PM
the 375449 [sized and checked to 379] and 25 grs of aa-1680 will do bout everything that 375 will do.
20-22 grs of 2400 will also...

TXGunNut
03-03-2012, 06:34 PM
the 375449 [sized and checked to 379] and 25 grs of aa-1680 will do bout everything that 375 will do.
20-22 grs of 2400 will also...

I'm guessing you're referring to the 38-55. Haven't decided between that and the .375, will be using .375 cases so might as well use the .375 dies. 38-55 sounds like more fun, tho.

Greg B.
03-04-2012, 08:22 PM
The easiest solution is to get rid of that safe queen policy. I have never sold any gun I ever bought; gave one away and one was stollen. Now that I am retired I don't have much money for new stuff so I enjoy what I got. IMHO you don't have to shoot them all the time to enjoy them. Keep them and enjoy them unless of course you like trading buying and selling.

Greg B.

Boerrancher
03-04-2012, 09:21 PM
IMHO you don't have to shoot them all the time to enjoy them. Keep them and enjoy them unless of course you like trading buying and selling.

I have a few guns that I haven't shot in years, maybe as many as 20 years, but I still enjoy owning them. Every so often I take them out of the safe wipe them with an oily rag and run an oily patch through the bore. Some of them are nothing special as far as collector value, but I like them, and enjoy looking at them. If you like them and enjoy them as I said before, keep them. They are not costing you anything just sitting there, and if you can still get some enjoyment out of them by just owning them then they are worth keeping.

In this day and age I would think twice before I got rid of any gun I owned. The laws for purchasing them in some areas are becoming more and more restrictive, and in a few more years depending on how these elections go this fall it could become even harder. Since the President is so fond of executive orders, a second term will insure an all out assault on our gun rights. There are a lot of things to consider before turning loose of a fire arm in good working order.

Best wishes,

Joe

TXGunNut
03-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Joe, I think you and Greg are right. I put the safe queen policy in place, I haven't enforced it and I can damn sure suspend it. I offered it to the buyer @ Cabelas Gun Library tonight but he wouldn't bite. ( Details in the "passed" thread.) I don't need the money so I guess there's no good reason to sell it in today's climate unless I encounter a collector or motivated retail buyer. I'll take it by Cabelas again next weekend just for grins but I won't give it away.

1bluehorse
03-14-2012, 07:53 PM
I see nothing wrong with selling firearms you no longer use or have a use for. Especially if it's to purchase something else that you'd rather have...but I figure "selling" to a dealer is like trading in a car. You're gonna get wholesale or less. If you want to sell one or all of them, take out an add and sell them to another shooter for retail just like the dealer would if it's legal where you live.

TXGunNut
03-14-2012, 09:14 PM
Good points but I really expected a more reasonable offer. I make my living in the retail/wholesale business, I understand Cabelas high overhead, etc. Offer just wasn't in the right ballpark. I have no need for another rifle at the moment and have lost interest in selling the ones I have. It takes me 2-4 months to figure out what a rifle likes and a few are taking longer than that. :oops: I think I'll just put up with a little crowding in my safes until the right buyer comes along. I like these old guns, just don't have much use for them.