PDA

View Full Version : My new Mihec molds

Grandpas50AE
03-02-2012, 07:22 PM
I just received my two Mihec molds: 45-200gr.HP Cramer 4C with pins, and 45 H&G #68 HP 4C with pins. Good grief these things are beautiful! Got them all washed up in hot dish-soap water, dried, and will cast some tomorrow. These are my first Mihec molds, and I can see that I'm going to be very happy with the 429244 clones on the GB that started up last month. My brother's birthday present is one of those, and I now know how absolutely astounded he will be with them.

THANKS MIHA, you are top-of-the-line, and my deepest appreciation for the qualtiy and price of a superb product. I'm glad you're going full time, you will continue to get more of my business in the future!

MtGun44
03-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Miha makes really nice molds. You will be happy with them. Add a touch of Bullplate lube
to the pin tips. Flip the mold over upside down to open, and gently push the pins once
the boolit is firm enough. Too early and you can distort the mouth of the cavity.

If the pins bind when sliding, losen one of them about 1/4 - 1/2 turn.

Bill

white eagle
03-02-2012, 08:25 PM
you have arrived as they say
without a doubt some of the very best molds I own
are from across the pond
keep it up........... hoo-ha

HiVelocity
03-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Granpas50AE-

You're going to love both. I just recently sold my MiHec H&G 68 clone and bought another 45-200-HP (have 2 now). This is my "go-to" mold. Be sure to clean your mold well. I use acetone and a an old toothbrush (you can also use dish detergent). Then heat it up to around #7 on your pot (if it has a dial), let it cool down, heat it up, let it cool down. I waited a day and then "look-out"; here they come! I smoked all 4 cavities with a wooden match. These molds cast a beautiful 202 grain bullet with ACWW that I load with Titegroup.

You have 2 of the best molds available for the 45ACP IMHO; you should be set for life now. Cast to your hearts content.

HV

Grandpas50AE
03-02-2012, 10:58 PM
HV,
I did the heat/cool cycle method with my brass AM molds, and they produce some of the prettiest boolits I've ever cast (much like the ones in your picture). Really nice casting on your part BTW. I wanted the RN HP for SD/HD, and the H&G 68 for target work. Believe it or not, it was easier for me to get the SWC (the Lyman 452630) to feed and shoot well than it was for the plated RN 230 gr. in all my Kimbers, go figure that one.. Anyway, I have already cycled one heat cycle on them (after cleaning with HOT soapy water), and tomorrow morning will be cycle 2. By about 11 or so I should have them up to temp for 3rd time and start pouring.
I'm using an RCBS 20# Pro Melt, and the boolit metal is 700*F when set on 800 (I'mm assuming that is watts on this old pot since it only goes to 950). I will probably set the temp at 720* and cast fast after pre-heating the molds on my hot-plate. I think I will be very excited with these molds, and will probably give my old 4C Lyman mold to my oldest brother to use for his Kimber Pro-Carry HDII.

Happy casting!

HiVelocity
03-02-2012, 11:26 PM
Well, it appears that you're waaay above the learning curve on these molds.

Since I have 2 of the same 4-cavity molds, I run them both at the same time alternating one then the other. Just to be different, I turned one HP pin around and it drops a really nice FP bullet. All the others are the HP configuration.

I run mine through a new 5" tactical XDM and my Kimber. I had to tweak the OAL to run in both; pressures were okay.

Now if someone would go hunt with this bullet and lets get an idea what it will do in live game................hint, hint!

HV

Grandpas50AE
03-02-2012, 11:40 PM
HiVelocity,
I have been hunting with cast boolits for over 20 years, as have my brothers and a few of my best friends. Most of what we have killed deer with have been the .44's, but about 6 years ago my best friend and I began hunting with Kimber full-size .45ACP using plated HP's. I am very much looking forward to hunting a deer with one of these HP RN boolits in 50/50 WW/PB and have every confidence that they will do better than the plated (which failed to eand any at the 920 fps velocity they were launched at).