PDA

View Full Version : TLing non TL boolits

Wilsknife
03-02-2012, 06:27 PM
I TL non TL boolits before sizing, then pan lube with 'Wil's Lube' Before my lube hardens completely, I cut the boolits out of the lube with a cutter made from an old golf club shaft.

Wil's Lube
4 oz - Beeswax
1 oz - Carnauba wax flakes
4 oz - Alox
1/2 oz - Lard

Heat and stir until blended. Use a turkey baster or small ladle to fill pan to just above the top lube groove. Let cool until almost completely solid. At this point the lube will be soft enough to easily remove from the pan.
Then Load 'em up. :lovebooli

dbarnhart
03-02-2012, 08:59 PM
I'm pretty much a newbie but I tumble lube my non-TL boolits and it works just fine. I Tl them before and after sizing.

runfiverun
03-04-2012, 01:04 AM
that's about 5 times the amount of carnuba you need for it to be effective.

stubshaft
03-04-2012, 01:18 AM
That's pan lubing not Tumble lubing.

madsenshooter
03-04-2012, 02:07 AM
I've been tumbling non-TL bullets lately. I thin the LLA with mineral spirits and a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil to increase the lubricity. LLAMMO, I call it. I've been doing it because conventional lubing doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, way more wax than what's needed in many cases. Special case was 6mm, 1/8 twist, 5R barrel. 10 shots and I had liquid wax dripping out the end of my barrel. Not good when trying to grip rifling that's only .002" tall. Since the bullets were cast of a 23BHN lead based babbitt, and somewhat self lubricating, I applied the LLAMMO only on the driving bands with Q-tip. I was able to get 2450fps out of the 6x45 without leading. Bullets cast of the same babbitt out of the Krag to 2175fps aren't leading any either.

captaint
03-04-2012, 12:13 PM
R5R - I was gonna say....... I would have gone with a tablespoon and called it good. WOW !! Mike

rayv
03-17-2012, 08:56 PM
Gents,
Just for clarification ... Are you shooting conventional cast boolits (with the usual grease groove) with tumble-lube only? i.e. that's the only lube on the projectile; not in combination with conventional lube? That would make life pretty simple for me.

Thanks.

runfiverun
03-17-2012, 10:26 PM
yeah no problems.
i have a couple of molds i don't have or need sizers for.
i can tumble lube a couple of thousand of them in an afternoon,and lube a couple of thousand others on one of my stars while i am waiting for them to dry.
i don't like alox so i use a couple of other recipes.

Rangefinder
03-17-2012, 10:50 PM
My Lyman 450 hasn't seen more than the dust it continues to collect in a loooong time. I TL everything now with zero issues. Tumble, size, tumble again. If I'm in a hurry 15 minutes with a hair dryer from the thrift store has them ready to load. Unless it's rifle boolits that I'm time curing, I can cast in the morning and be firing them in the afternoon.

rayv
03-18-2012, 12:52 AM
Thanks, runfiverun and Rangefinder. I appreciate the confirmation. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't misinterpreting the posts.
I don't load for top end. I'm hoping to use tumble lube with a push-thru sizer, using The Perfessor's sizer if I can get in on that, Lee if not.

runfiverun ... "on 'one' of my stars" Nice.

mdi
03-19-2012, 01:58 PM
That's pan lubing not Tumble lubing.
That's what he said :oops:

runfiverun
03-20-2012, 12:07 AM
to be fair, two of them say san diego on the label.
i wish i would have kept one of the lymans,i had, on some days.