PDA

View Full Version : reciver bulging from dry firing

nekshot
03-02-2012, 11:07 AM
I was interested in a older springfield double barrel shotgun until I saw both firing pin holes are bulging from I guess dry firing. Could this be fixed by simple means other than rebushing the pins. I want to shoot black powder with it and it is not damascus. Price is 250. And it isreally niceand original. Input appreciated.

elk hunter
03-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Without seeing the extent of the problem it's hard to give an exact remedy. If the bulge is very small it could be fixed by either dressing it down to the breech face or by making up a punch with a nose the diameter of the original firing pin hole to force the metal back down without closing the original hole. The best option, as you mentioned, would be to bush the firing pin holes.

Larry Gibson
03-02-2012, 12:34 PM
If the bulge is very small it could be fixed by either dressing it down to the breech face or by making up a punch with a nose the diameter of the original firing pin hole to force the metal back down without closing the original hole.

If that is done then don't dry fire the shotgun anymore, even with "snap caps". If it is a very nice shotgun one might look at modifying the firing pins a bit if they are too long.

Larry Gibson

fourarmed
03-02-2012, 05:12 PM
I worked on a Stevens double where part of the breech face was actually broken out around the firing pin hole. In my junk bin I found some small, spring steel washers that were just the right size to fit around the firing pin and inside the firing pin channel. That formed a stop for the FP. Such a modification might be of use after you dressed the breech face.

nekshot
03-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Thanks for your input. I have confidence I can redeem this gun now.