PDA

View Full Version : Inventory method for your firearms.....

Jay
03-02-2012, 11:03 AM
I just use an Excel spreadsheet.... if youo're so inclined, help yourself. It can be easily modified to suit, and it's free.

http://personal.swayzee.com/jayb/Gunstuffsample.xls

10x
03-02-2012, 11:46 AM
I use the Canadian Government gun registry. After it goes in a few months I will have to use an excel spreadsheet....

MT Gianni
03-02-2012, 11:53 AM
I built one with XL also. I keep a photo log as well on the hard drive with a thumb drive back-up. I re-check things one a year to go over additions and subtractions.

Kraschenbirn
03-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Pretty much the same here...spread sheet plus photo log (w/close-ups showing s/ns and/or 'special' features). Besides being backed-up on my external hardrive, data is also copied onto (2) CDs...one kept in the back of my 'mancave' safe and the other in my wife's office safe.

Bill

Ickisrulz
03-02-2012, 12:52 PM
I use a word document with pictures. I have hard copies and electronic copies. All information is also on file with my insurance company in my Valuble Personal Property policy.

Tom Myers
03-02-2012, 01:44 PM
You might be interested in this

Precision Firearm Records System (http://www.tmtpages.com/printarms.htm)

ElDorado
03-02-2012, 05:49 PM
I use MS Access. The firearms table is part of a reloading database. It’s a great way to learn how to use your software when one of your hobbies can be used as a project.

Jamesconn
03-02-2012, 09:29 PM
I only have one gun thus far don't have pics but I have the serial number in an encrypted program

nicholst55
03-02-2012, 10:09 PM
I would recommend keeping a backup copy of whatever inventory software you use somewhere besides your home. If you have a house fire and your computer and your guns are destroyed, you've lost all your records. A flash drive might be pretty tough to locate in the rubble of your home after a fire or tornado.

You can keep a copy online via Google Documents or you can download Drop Box (https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTY0ODg2MzY0OQ?src=global9) and keep a copy there. I recently installed Drop Box and have a backup of all my important documents and pictures there. It's free, secure, and easy to install and use.

mooman76
03-02-2012, 11:19 PM
I use excel for it also as well as my load data, moulds and bullet specs and loading gear. I did copy and paste pictures of all the boolits along with them so I would know better which ones were which but they disappeared one day and I never put them back. It took me hours to do it. I would really like to put everything on access but I haven't learned that program yet.

Slam'n Salmon
03-03-2012, 08:55 PM
I would recommend keeping a backup copy of whatever inventory software you use somewhere besides your home. If you have a house fire and your computer and your guns are destroyed, you've lost all your records. A flash drive might be pretty tough to locate in the rubble of your home after a fire or tornado.

You can keep a copy online via Google Documents or you can download Drop Box (https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTY0ODg2MzY0OQ?src=global9) and keep a copy there. I recently installed Drop Box and have a backup of all my important documents and pictures there. It's free, secure, and easy to install and use.

House fire is no problem. Dig them (the guns) out of the ashes and all the info is right there. No stocks but steel don't melt in a house fire.

Been there done that

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Paper and pencil.

DCM
03-04-2012, 01:28 AM
Paper and pencil.

YUP!! Big plus one! Safely locked away in a fire resistant enclosure.

NO WAY I am putting it on software! so someone can hack in to it!

Or worse yet what happened to a long time friend of mine.
His X wife got a copy of the inventory off of his computer, made copies and gave one to her attorney.
They presented this during the proceedings! :(:(
Now it is all a mater of public record if anyone wants to pry hard enough!

44fanatic
03-04-2012, 10:11 AM
I use MS Access. The firearms table is part of a reloading database. It’s a great way to learn how to use your software when one of your hobbies can be used as a project.

You make me sick for being able to use Access

I use excell and have embedded the pictures into the worksheet. Need to update it though, got rid of a couple and picked up a couple.

ElDorado
03-04-2012, 01:02 PM
You make me sick for being able to use Access

I use excell and have embedded the pictures into the worksheet. Need to update it though, got rid of a couple and picked up a couple.

Don’t be hatin’ now! :kidding: I never said that I was any good at it.

Like I said, it’s a good way to learn the program. It actually started out as a reloading database and I just kept adding features to it. I added the firearms table as a way to associate each load with the gun that it is loaded for. I actually haven’t made any progress on that part of the project other than the firearms table. I have added fields for slug and throat size, though, just so the information is handy. I suppose I should add pictures like the Excel users are doing.

I have another database with all of my moulds, top punches, sizing dies and other related equipment. I started that one after bidding on a mould that I already had. I think the older folks will know what I’m talking about.

Information is power. It’s nice to have it at your fingertips.

GabbyM
03-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Thanks Jay.
I copied the headers and added a page to my Ammo-MasterBook.ods.
Added a column titled Property of. Since I catalogue many of the family guns.

After seeing once again the results of tornadoes last week. A solid box or safe to place important backups and documents in seems a good idea. I think my file cabinet would be in pieces.

My daughter had one of my old pistols stolen during a home invasion. I had the serial number written in my old Sierra load manual along with others. So now that number is in the FBI stolen firearms data base.

filric48
03-04-2012, 04:21 PM
I use a Bond Book for C&R works great.

gabe123
03-04-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who makes lists. I am so bad that I have an excel spreadsheet for all of my loading manuals, PDF downloads, free handouts, equipment etc. I even print out a list when I go to the gunshops/shows to reference so I do not buy a duplicate and to remind myself what I need to complete my collection.

Can you say OCD.