PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Hand Priming Tool Issues

Saint
03-01-2012, 09:23 PM
I have been having issues with this tool since I got it. This thing constantly feeds primers upside down and sideways. The problem is due to the design of the tool. Does anybody have any recommendations on a hand tool that will be a little more reliable. I try to use my press as little as possible because I don't have a solid place to mount it.

Dan Cash
03-01-2012, 09:29 PM
CoAx/Bonanza. It flat works.

40Super
03-01-2012, 09:47 PM
I've been using a RCBS hand primer for 13 or so years now,I honestly can't remember ever having one feed upside down or sideways. It works good,I prime 500 or so in an hour or two while sitting in the lazyboy in front of the 'tube.

SquirrelHollow
03-02-2012, 12:02 AM
The RCBS Universal Hand Prime is about as good as it gets.

I don't mind my standard RCBS Hand Prime, but the plastic primer guides wear out fairly quickly. (After about 3,500 primers, the guides start to let primers flip.) Even with the wear issues, I still consider it a step up from the Hornady tool, and a massive improvement over the Lee Auto Prime and/or Ergo Prime. (I've used them all.)
The Universal Hand Prime is far superior.

pmeisel
03-04-2012, 12:24 PM
I have two Lee hand primers (one set up for large, one for small). I haven't used anything else since Reagan left office.

Echo
03-04-2012, 01:34 PM
I have two Lee hand primers (one set up for large, one for small). I haven't used anything else since Reagan left office.

+1. I have a few of the old model Lee hand priming tools, one set up for 38/357, one set up for 45/06, and another for all the rest.
If I have a bunch to re-prime, I use my RCBS automatic bench-mounted primer. Goes through a couple of hundred right now.

Pig Train Caboose
03-19-2012, 06:44 PM
I second the RCBS motion. I've used RCBS hand primers since I started reloading back in middle school, never had a problem with them.

Freightman
03-20-2012, 06:13 PM
I have been having issues with this tool since I got it. This thing constantly feeds primers upside down and sideways. The problem is due to the design of the tool. Does anybody have any recommendations on a hand tool that will be a little more reliable. I try to use my press as little as possible because I don't have a solid place to mount it.
I have one that I prime my 45/70 with it is a lot touchie but works if you are real careful. I prim everything else with a LEE primmer. I got the Hornady for the 8mm Lebal I had as the LEE will not accept the head of the brass it is too wide.

Walt
03-20-2012, 06:38 PM

I've never had a problem of this sort with my Hornady hand primer. Are you using small primers in the large primer sleeve?

MtGun44
03-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Been using a Lee Autoprime for three decades. Recently got the new type, square with
two stage primer feed for safety. The small primers are slightly prone to flipping since
they are about the same in either dimension, but the lg primers are very reliable. Use a bit
of good synthetic grease on the metal-to-metal points and it will last a long time.

Bill