PDA

View Full Version : Diabetic Gunsmithing

joatmon
03-21-2007, 10:13 PM
When lapping scope rings I use the blue heavy paper shop towel's and snip an X where each bottom mount is and slip this over the mount,then wrap a little pipe tape around the edges of the towel's on each mount to keep lapping compound from getting on or in the action. Oh yea, when I'm done I go to my med box and get a alcohol wipe and clean off the lapping compond. (Diabieties sucks but you should always look for the silver lineing.)[smilie=1:

leftiye
03-21-2007, 10:53 PM
Second that sucking thing

Phil
03-21-2007, 11:01 PM
Big time! So many things I miss eating and drinking. Then there is the detached retina, glaucoma, cataracts, and all that stuff. Just great!

Cheers,

Phil

9.3X62AL
03-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Ya know what I HATE about being diabetic? THE WAY THE MEDICAL COMMUNITY TALKS WITH US, AND THEIR DIDACTIC, DEMEANING TONE WHEN DOING SO. This is especially annoying in light of how these same people are so "sensitive" to the needs of AIDS patients--most of whom contracted the disease in rather noisome ways. Rant mode off.

Phil
03-22-2007, 06:57 PM
You got that right Deputy Al!

Cheers,

Phil

omgb
03-22-2007, 09:31 PM
Well, I got diabetes from sticking things in my mouth I shouldn't have and a whole bunch of aides patients get aids from .......[smilie=1:

9.3X62AL
03-23-2007, 12:54 AM
Exactly.

uscra112
03-23-2007, 03:55 AM
Well! I'm heartened to hear that someone ELSE has been subjected to that self-rightous tone by their doctor. Thanks for sharing that. But I doubt it's limited to us diabetics. Or even doctors. My accountant does the same thing to me. He just can't see why everyone doesn't obssess over finances, just as I can't see why everyone doesn't cast their own.....

nvbirdman
03-23-2007, 07:58 PM
But the vials your test strips come in are great for holding a sizing die and one top punch.

joatmon
03-23-2007, 11:40 PM
nvbirdman, thanks for that tip!

9.3X62AL
03-23-2007, 11:48 PM
NV--

That's priceless. I've used them for fly leaders and bait leaders, what was I thinking?

leftiye
03-24-2007, 01:57 AM
Deputy- Wouldn't be so bad if those same doctors were actually doing us some good, not just collecting money for nothing. Bottom line is- they don't have a treatment for D and have pretty much been sitting on their hands since manufactured insulin was developed. Biggest advance has been the testers. I about puke when one of them goes on about him "managing my diabetes." Hell, it takes three months to get in to see the _____!

dragonrider
03-24-2007, 08:56 AM
I've tossing those vials in the trash thinking there had to be something I could do with them, won't toss them now. I absolutely hate this disease, watching what I eat or my levels will get high, got up the morning and first test was 177 :confused: where did that come from? came from last nights pizza. My levels normaly run from 100 to 110 No drinking, I ain't had a beer in two years :( that's unatural. I had a glass of wine with the pizza so that helped o raise my level. It sucks I tell ya.

hivoltfl
03-24-2007, 09:02 AM
I gotta agree, The D thing suxs a big green one.

Rick

shooter575
03-25-2007, 06:40 AM
Dittos on saving the test strip vials.Great for all sorts of stuff.It is the ONLY thing good about having the big D.
But I guess like you guys it does beat dieing!
I read in a med journal that they have made some inroads on being able to fix this down the road.I do wish they would hurry.

Bret4207
03-25-2007, 08:28 AM
I don't have Diabetes, yet, but I gotta wonder. Why are we so concerned and spending SO much on a disease thats almost completely preventable? (HIV/AIDS) Meanwhile in Canada their handing out needles to Heroin addicts to keep them from getting HIV/Hepatitis but the Diabetics have to foot the bill for their needles?

hivoltfl
03-25-2007, 10:59 AM
Tpr. Bret, MONEY is the answer, plain and simple, most diabetics can afford their medicene until the ends of their lives.

Hey guys dont forget those test strip drum holders in your tackle boxes, I use them in mine, great for splitshot, small hooks, swivels, try em youll like em.

Rick

pumpguy
03-25-2007, 06:58 PM
Guys I hear ya about diabetes. I am sure it sucks. Take solace in the fact that you are seeing some progress made. ie. micro sticks for reading, insulin pumps, etc. NO, this is not great, but, it is something. I have a daughter with cancer. Childhood cancer kills more kids each year than cystic fibrosis, AIDS, asthma, muscular dystrophy, and diabetes combined. Despite this, no new drugs for treating childhood cancer have been developed in over 20 years. To make matters worse, the feds have cut funding for research this year. So, am I ******** at you guys or saying I understand? I don't know and I am sorry if I got a little snappy. I wish some celebrity would take up this cause and quit worrying about all the problems in other countries and take care of the ones we have here. End of rant.

omgb
03-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Your daughter got cancer through no fault of her own, I did this to myself in spite of a very loud and clear warning 30 years ago. I am not worthy of pity nor one ounce of any one's concern. For the children though, well, that's a whole other ball game. I've had this disease since the early 90s and have managed it very well for the last 3 years after a huge diet change and a big big weight loss. Still, I have obvious symptoms of damage such as very sensitive feet and some joint problems. What about the Type-1 kids who face 50 or 60 or 70 years of increasing complications? I've got several of these in my class room. These are the people I feel for and hope eagerly for a cure. Your rant was heard and seems justified. I for one, was not offended in the least.

Now honestly, this disease sucks but it sucks a whole lot less than some other things like ALS or Crone's or .... well, you get the picture.

nicholst55
03-25-2007, 07:46 PM
+ 1 on diabetes. I'm waiting for the national campaign to find a cure, with lots of hollyweird celebs jumping on the bandwagon. I doubt I'll see it in my lifetime.