PDA

View Full Version : Pro Melt Stopped up

heavyd
03-01-2012, 04:41 PM
I just got a used pro melt and fired it up. The bottom pour worked fine for a little while and not it is not. My temp is plenty high so I guess it is plugged up. How do I clean it out to get the bottom pour to work? Thanks

Springfield
03-01-2012, 04:47 PM
I like to run a small drill bit up throung the bottom. If that doesn't clear it than it may have to be drained and cleaned up that way.

Rockchucker
03-01-2012, 05:20 PM
I like to run a small drill bit up throung the bottom. If that doesn't clear it than it may have to be drained and cleaned up that way.

You also might try using a small propane torch and heat the down spout a little and see it you can get it to start flowing.

Dale53
03-01-2012, 08:09 PM
I have two Pro-melts and have had a Lyman 11 lb. bottom pour. They have all had the "frozen spout" syndrome when casting with low temperature pours. I keep a self lighting butane torch handy, and just heat the spout and it starts flowing.

It IS useful from time to time, to run a drill bit up the hole on an empty pot to keep the "crud" from building up. It doesn't have to be done often, and only when necessary. I take pains to insure that I don't enlarge the hole (it's big enough out of the box).

FWIW
Dale53

heavyd
03-02-2012, 04:52 PM
I did the drill bit trick and good idea about the propane torch. Hopefully it will work.

OuchHot!
03-02-2012, 08:40 PM
I wrapped a bit of tape insulation around the teat...it seemed to help prevent mastitis.

41 mag fan
03-03-2012, 08:46 PM
If you can locate some clean outs for torches or as in my instance for cleaning out belt sprays, they work perfect.

heavyd
03-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Thanks everyone. I got it working. I am interested about the insulation around the spout. It seems as though my spout temp is a little lower than my melt temp and the insulation could negate some of this difference. That is a good idea.

Lead Freak
03-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Normally, once the pot is up to temperature, I'm able to clear it with a large size paper clip. Staighten it out a little and bend 1/4"-1/2" of the end at a 90deg angle. With the pour spout held open, clean out the opening with the clip.