PDA

View Full Version : I'm just getting started......

Axton1
03-01-2012, 03:10 PM
Just want to take a moment to thank everyone here for all of the info that gets shared. Great site and great people! I have been reading and looking through the site for a while now and it's a tremendous help to understand what to avoid as much as what to do. Having an idea of what to expect before-hand is a great help. I just bought my first mold - a Lee 140g SWC, six-banger in .358 and tried it out this week. After a thorough cleaning and lubing the mold pins, and just a bit of smoke from a match, I was pleased to find it dropped boolits cleanly after the 3-4th pour with no “wackin’ smackin’ or bangin” – so, looks to be good to go! The pre-heating and other things I’ve read here worked great. [smilie=w:
I did have one issue and that is in technique – something that will be learned. Hands-on and OJT as they say! I kept getting boolits that had fins on them and took me 15 – 20 drops to figure that out just what the Sam Heck was happening. I found that I was accidentally squeezing on the lever for the sprue plate release and that was opening up a gap in the end of the mold! But, once the operator error was corrected – keep your big fat gloved fingers off of that little handle, a PILE of nice boolits was accumulated in a HURRY! Can’t wait to get some of them loaded……….they are currently LLA lubed and drying on the bench as I type! (Also, this resulted in quite a few over-sized boolits that had to be melted again and put back thru the mold! But the great thing is, it didn’t take much effort to make a wrong back into a right!)
Again, thanks to everyone here for all the invaluable info that you post! Hope to pass on a thousandth of the info that I’ve gleaned from others! Happy posting!
A1

Grandpas50AE
03-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Welcome to the site, and great job. Sounds like your first time was a breeze, and that always makes for a better start of things. Even after as many years as I've been at it, it was a great priveledge to find this site and be reminded of how much I had forgotten, and how much I still had left to learn. I've been returned to the "kid in a candy store" passion for this that I used to have and had forgotten. Again, welcome aboard.

GRUMPA
03-01-2012, 03:46 PM
YEP!!! Welcome to the site, nothing like shooting your own boolits and eliminating that middleman, you know the one that always seems to charge to much. Hope you have as much fun as I do.

Cherokee
03-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Sounds like a great start. Nothing like shooting you own boolits. The 6-cv moulds are great to work with.

03-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Onward, man! Ain't no lookin' back, now.