PDA

View Full Version : How do I enlarge a Lee boolit sizer?

prs
03-01-2012, 01:45 PM
I've got a pretty good idea of how, I think, but don't want to screw-up if it can be avoided. This would be for my Win '94 TR 30 WCF rifle. I have been given a .308 sizer die kit. I have a .309 that works great and see no logic in sizing a lead boolit down to or under bore diameter. I would like to increase the .308 die to .310 just because ( and Lee does not sell them). My plan is to use wet metal sanding cloth in progressive stages from 220 grade up to super fine. Is this gonna take forever, or will it go PDQ? I figure on wetting the sand "paper" with Ballistol and water mix and then rolling it into a tube shape and reaming the die a few strokes before checking to see if I can press a .309 bullet through fairly easily before progressing to a smooth finish and re-checking with a bullet sized and then mic'd. Is that a reasonable approach? Nothing to lose if I do mess it up.

prs

ShooterAZ
03-01-2012, 02:28 PM
I used a wood dowel, wrapped 400 grit wet & dry around it, and rolled back & forth with some oil on the paper. Take your time and measure in increments. You are on the right track.

popper
03-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Like shooteraz says, but I chuck it up in an electric drill at slow speed. Start with something coarser than 400. Wrap with more as size increases. I did mine while in the press so I could check it as I went. Don't try to put too much paper in, it will bind up. and break the dowel. About 30 min/.001. The oil just washes the dust out.

ShooterAZ
03-01-2012, 03:54 PM
It only took me about 20 minutes to get .001 from it with 400 grit doing it by hand...
The key is go slow and keep checking it. You can remove metal...but you can't put it back!

PacMan
03-01-2012, 04:58 PM
The Lee dies are soft so dont get carried away.

pancho
03-02-2012, 09:45 PM
the die on my star lubrisizer was dropping them at .451 and I need them at .452,so I went to the auto parts store and got some "Permatex" valve grinding compound.covered some of those .451 bullets with it and run them through the die,measuring a clean bullet every 10 with the compound.It took me about 30 passes to reach my goal of .452.Very round and pretty bullits.

yovinny
03-02-2012, 10:15 PM
WOW, you'r Lee sizers are soft ?
I've only enlarged one and it's new, about a year old, but it was pretty tough.
I chucked the die it in the lathe and used a slotted rod with 220 alum oxide paper and cutting oil in the tool post, polishing with 400 grit afterwards.
Took about 30 min and 4-5 paper changes to remove .001 running 450rpm, before kicking it higher for polishing.
I've got another I want to enlarge at least .0015, so I'm already planing on the hassle of mounting up my tool post grinder.

BTW, A pin gauge in the size you want and used as a go/no go gauge makes life much easier :)

Cheers, YV

Shiloh
03-02-2012, 11:57 PM
Make sure the mandrel you use has a tight fit with the emery paper. take your time and you should be able to open it up AND keep it round at the same time. I have opened two this way.

Shiloh

zomby woof
03-03-2012, 09:16 AM
the die on my star lubrisizer was dropping them at .451 and I need them at .452,so I went to the auto parts store and got some "Permatex" valve grinding compound.covered some of those .451 bullets with it and run them through the die,measuring a clean bullet every 10 with the compound.It took me about 30 passes to reach my goal of .452.Very round and pretty bullits.

This works

XWrench3
03-03-2012, 09:51 AM
initially, i used cast boolits coated in a fine valve grinding compound. but that seems to go pretty slow. i switched to using 6 jacketed bullets coated in the same compound. it goes much faster that way. when you are done, remember to put those bullets into your scrap boolit pile so you can recover the lead. i would not shoot them, as the valve grinding compound will be impregnated into the "J" bullets. and shooting them would definitely enlarge your barrel.

10x
03-03-2012, 10:48 AM
initially, i used cast boolits coated in a fine valve grinding compound. but that seems to go pretty slow. i switched to using 6 jacketed bullets coated in the same compound. it goes much faster that way. when you are done, remember to put those bullets into your scrap boolit pile so you can recover the lead. i would not shoot them, as the valve grinding compound will be impregnated into the "J" bullets. and shooting them would definitely enlarge your barrel.

Fire lapping????

Maven
03-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Buckshot's article, "How to Hone A Sizer Die" can be found in CASTPICS (bottom of screen)>Articles: http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/default.html It is well written and easy to do: Just opened a Lee .309" sizer die to .312" following his tutorial. Got perfect results too.

geargnasher
03-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Beat me to it Maven!

Gear