PDA

View Full Version : Casting Method Bottom pour Question

Ford SD
03-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Just wondering about the Casting Method you use on a Bottom pour pot

I started with a 10 lb lee and got tired with it real Quick

2nd pot is a Lyman 20

The method I started with was pour 1 cav (up /down with the handle)
move the Mould and (up /down with the handle) for the 2nd cav

then I got my first 4 cav lyman mould and method was pour 1 cav (up /down with the handle) move the Mould and (up /down with the handle) for the 2nd cav, move the Mould and (up /down with the handle) for the 3rd cav, move the Mould and (up /down with the handle) for the 4th cav

:mrgreen:Now what I do is 1 cav (up with the handle ) move mould, move mold, move mold etc. till all cav are full then Down handle.
I find the 2nd way a lot better and faster even do it if a 2 cav, a 4 cav or a 6 cav.:awesome:

So how do you do it [smilie=s:

Sorry if it has been posted before

Mk42gunner
03-01-2012, 03:02 PM
My answer will sound wishy-washy, but it depends on the mold.

Small cavities (under 25 cal and 75 grains) and big lead flow mean I have to stop the flow between cavities or I get splashback and have to cull that boolit.

Usually for 30 cal and up I can run the mold under the flow pausing at each hole moving as the cavity fills.

Robert

03-01-2012, 07:14 PM
My moulds let me know their preferences.

Echo
03-02-2012, 01:38 AM
Just wondering about the Casting Method you use on a Bottom pour pot

I started with a 10 lb lee and got tired with it real Quick

2nd pot is a Lyman 20

The method I started with was pour 1 cav (up /down with the handle)
move the Mould and (up /down with the handle) for the 2nd cav

then I got my first 4 cav lyman mould and method was pour 1 cav (up /down with the handle) move the Mould and (up /down with the handle) for the 2nd cav, move the Mould and (up /down with the handle) for the 3rd cav, move the Mould and (up /down with the handle) for the 4th cav

:mrgreen:Now what I do is 1 cav (up with the handle ) move mould, move mold, move mold etc. till all cav are full then Down handle.
I find the 2nd way a lot better and faster even do it if a 2 cav, a 4 cav or a 6 cav.:awesome:

So how do you do it [smilie=s:

Sorry if it has been posted before

Plus 1. For small cavity molds one must adjust the pour rate to keep from splashing all over.

bobthenailer
03-02-2012, 12:08 PM
ive done the beveling of the top inside edge of all of my moulds , for better venting, as explaned in LBT's book on bullet casting.
I lift up on the handel one time and fill all cavities weither there 2 , 3 ,4 or 8 cavity moulds

geargnasher
03-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Stream size, fall distance, angle of the mould to the stream, and whether poured semi-auto or full-auto all depend on what the mould likes. There is no 'One' technique that's best all of the time.

Gear

MikeS
03-06-2012, 05:29 AM
I also find that when using a 2 cavity Lyman mould that has one of their newer style sprue plates that are thicker, that I can pour from my Lee 4-20 bottom pour pot right between the 2 holes (the mouths of the 2 cavities are very close), and fill both cavities at the same time! By doing it this way, not only is it faster as both are filling at the same time, but because of how the lead is going into the cavities that the air in the cavities seems to have more space to leave the cavity (the lead is sort of swirling into the cavities) and it makes boolit that are well filled out, with nice flat bottoms.