PDA

View Full Version : Hello and please help.

RG_86
03-01-2012, 12:10 AM
Howdy all. I have been a dark corner watcher of these boards for a while now and figured I would go ahead and jump on in.

I have been casting for several years but I have always done either slow 45's or gas checked 45's and rifle. anyways I am getting into 9mm now, I will be using a lee 124gr round nose and I need to know what kind of lube I should use. The weapon is a barrette M9. I need 1050-1100 fps. Any help here would be appreciated. I am casting WW's with a bit of tin added to em. I think my hardness is somewhere around 18. I just ordered a new hardness tester so I will be able to give a more real number soon. Right now I use red rooster lube on a lyman 450 with heater pad.

Thanks -Bob

Calamity Jake
03-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Try White Label's "BAC" or "2500+"

fishnbob
03-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Howdy all. I am casting WW's with a bit of tin added to em. I think my hardness is somewhere around 18. I just ordered a new hardness tester so I will be able to give a more real number soon. Right now I use red rooster lube on a lyman 450 with heater pad.

Thanks -Bob

I think you will be surprised at your hardness number once you test it.[smilie=1:

Bob also.8-)

fryboy
03-01-2012, 07:28 PM
in essence the less hard you push a cartridge the less demanding the alloy and lubes , ww's should be fine , the 9 is sometimes finicky , you may have to water quench or heat treat your boolits but then again you may not [shrugz] as for stepping out of the dark corner ....glad ta see ya !!lolz and then we have the remaining question of lube ... you didnt state commercial or umm home brew , i actually like zambini and really miss their HVR , most equivalent to that in my humble opinion is the carnuba red commercial from white label lubes but the regular carnuba red ,bac or 2500 would also work , the thompson blue angel is also close to rooster's zambini , if you want to make lube make felix lube and be happy ;)

41 mag fan
03-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Howdy all. I have been a dark corner watcher of these boards for a while now and figured I would go ahead and jump on in.

I have been casting for several years but I have always done either slow 45's or gas checked 45's and rifle. anyways I am getting into 9mm now, I will be using a lee 124gr round nose and I need to know what kind of lube I should use. The weapon is a barrette M9. I need 1050-1100 fps. Any help here would be appreciated. I am casting WW's with a bit of tin added to em. I think my hardness is somewhere around 18. I just ordered a new hardness tester so I will be able to give a more real number soon. Right now I use red rooster lube on a lyman 450 with heater pad.

Thanks -Bob

I wouldn't use Rooster Labs. I, IMO think it's too hard of a lube. I've used some on everything from 40's to 500 Smith. With each one I had leading troubles.
Look up the recipe for Bens Red.
So far everyones who used it has had no leading issues.
try it, and you wont be dissapointed.

GP100man
03-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Our own member Lars45s Red Carnauba works for me when I push on an alloy .

The only time I get leading now is when I over speed it & strip the boolit.

& for the recrd ,I don`t think I can buy the ingredients in small batches & make it for what Glenn sells it for !!!

canyon-ghost
03-01-2012, 10:17 PM
White Label Carnuba Red, since you do have heat!

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/

geargnasher
03-02-2012, 12:31 AM
Glad you decided to participate, RG86! Since the climate in Fairbanks has been know to be rather coolish, you might have better luck with White Label BAC or 2500+ rather than Carnauba Red, the latter can have some cold-weather issues but all of them are excellent lubes for their applications.

Another thing to try is some of Randyrat's lubes, he sells his own flavor of some lubes developed by others Alaskans that have been proven to work in -30F, and I have used similar formulas at 105F. Good stuff.

Send Randyrat a PM or check out the White Label Lube's website, both are top-shelf folks to do business with and their products are as good, and cheaper than anything you can buy from a store.

Gear

runfiverun
03-02-2012, 01:48 AM
if it's a t/l mold your version of 45/45/10 would work.

other than that, a softened lube would be a bit better for your lattitude.
carnuba red is a great hot weather lube [i use it to get the carnuba for my home made lubes]
b-a-c. beeswax-alox-carnuba is a good all around lube [it's a bit hard] i cut it with a bit of white lith grease [15%] softness and lubricity] and some lanolin [5%] flexibility and tackyness]
i make the bac from two sticks of 50-50 and one carnuba red with the above additives.

RG_86
03-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys. The wonderful mail man came yesterday with my midway order. among a bunch of other things was my new hardness tester. Turns out my bullets are testing out at 22BHN so my alloy is plenty hard. I just went through the task of cleaning out my lube sizer via a boiling pot so its ready for new lube. I have a few sticks of RCBS that are laying around, but I am really thinking about making some of that felix lube and giving it a go. I am not to worried about cold weather shooting as I wont be doing much of that with 9mm, I tend to stick to revolvers in the cold months as I dont care for digging through the snow to pick up my brass. I am going to give the new lube a try and hopefully this helps if not I am going to break down and buy a Lyman 147gr bullet mold. with 147 I only need to hit about 850fps for power factor.

FirstBrit
03-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys. The wonderful mail man came yesterday with my midway order. among a bunch of other things was my new hardness tester. Turns out my bullets are testing out at 22BHN so my alloy is plenty hard. I just went through the task of cleaning out my lube sizer via a boiling pot so its ready for new lube. I have a few sticks of RCBS that are laying around, but I am really thinking about making some of that felix lube and giving it a go. I am not to worried about cold weather shooting as I wont be doing much of that with 9mm, I tend to stick to revolvers in the cold months as I dont care for digging through the snow to pick up my brass. I am going to give the new lube a try and hopefully this helps if not I am going to break down and buy a Lyman 147gr bullet mold. with 147 I only need to hit about 850fps for power factor.

Hi, I didn't want to add anything in particular to the lube question, but would just like to add my 5 cts. worth on accuracy loads in the 9 mm. with cast bullets.

When you talk about factor do you mean the factor "125" which is also the factor used by one of our shooting associations here in Germany. For plain cast bullets the trend here is to go for the slightly slower pistol powders like VV N-340 or VV 3N37 our your local brand Hodgdon Longshot. The small volume case of the 9 mm. coupled small changes in bullet seating depth can have dramatic impact on chamber pressures which cannot be neglected when talking about plain cast bullets. A factor load with a 147 gr. bullet and Longshot would give a chamber pressure of about 23k psi whereas an equivalent load for a 122 gr. bullet would mean about 28k. psi. Most of the shooters I know who shoot cb's in their 9 mm. tend to go for the heavier 147 gr. bullets. COL are about 1.140" and usual amount of Longshot would be between 4,8 and 5,2 gr. I shot bullets with BHN 16 the classic ( 92/6/2) alloy and accuracy with my H&K P9S Sport is very good and negligible barrel leading. I tried a softer bullet BHN 10 ( 20:1 Lead:tin mix) but was not happy with the accuracy, although still no signs of leading. The lube I use is a modified Felix lube variant.

Good luck with your endeavours,
Adrian - Germany.