PDA

View Full Version : Welding past ( anti spatter )

blaser.306
02-29-2012, 09:56 PM
I thought this had been done before but a search turned up nothing . Would welding anti spatter pase ( nozzle dip ) be of any use in boolit lube construction? To me it seems fairly slick to the touch and does not contain any hydrocarbon solvents and is supposed to be non flamable ! Would this work in the same way as vasaline to soften hard lubes ? I guess what I am asking is has anyone tried this kind of material and or what is it made of and it's usefullness . Thanks in advance .

375RUGER
02-29-2012, 11:02 PM
I am considering doing just that someday.
The only antispatter that I ever used that was worth a dadgum was Clearco Welding Jelly. I use to use it once in the morning and then weld all day without another application. I had the cleanest nozzle in the shop. It's not made any more, but I know what is the active ingredient in it. polyoxyethelyne polyoxypropylene copolymer. The carrier is petrolatum.
The exact same formula is found in HTP America Nozzle Gel. the only difference from the clearco is the color. Here is a link to the page http://www.usaweld.com/Nozzle-Gel-p/12024-16.htm
I haven't used this stuff yet, I don't do enough welding to bother with it and only discovered it about a month ago.
I would use maybe a 4:1 Beeswax : HTP ratio by weight and see what the consistentcy is like, adjust the mix if necessary and then add carnuba if I thought it was needed.
Other option is the start with a base of another lube and use this as an additive, maybe 1/2oz per pound of lube.
As far as I know this HTP product is the only one with the poly-poly-copolymer ingredient in it. the other "goos" do not. there are a couple of liquids that have it but the gel is the way to go.

geargnasher
03-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Lubemeister Ben has discussed it, he may have used it in Ben's Blue, but I don't remember for sure.

I've used a couple of different kinds of nozzle dips (for welding!) and they were both very highly refined, pure, macro-crystalline paraffin that is very hard at 40 degrees and almost molten at 105 degrees. I opted out of trying it because it doesn't have any real properties as a carrier, and isn't all that great of a lubricant by itself since it contains no metal soaps.

But just because I think there are better choices doesn't mean it won't work! A good, all-around, medium-duty lube formula is 50/50 beeswax and Vaseline, adjusted 10% either way in proportion to get the consistency you desire. Nozzle dip strikes me as a better grade of paraffin than Vaseline, it might work great in that formula. No one will no until it's tried.

Gear