PDA

View Full Version : Friendship this spring

Fly
02-29-2012, 08:32 PM
I know some of you guys are going to Friendship this spring.I would love
meeting you guys that are there.But I have no idea who is who when I get there.

Any ideas to how we know who is who.I'm not hard to tell from the rest.
I will be the very nice looking gent with the body of a greek god.

But I need to be able to tell who is who from you slobs,(WINK).

Fly[smilie=s:

Shooter
02-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Gas and powder prices make it hard.

451 Pete
02-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Fly ,
I am one of the fellows that help out at the Youth Range during the Spring Shoot on Saturday and Sunday and the last Saturday of the match. Working with the kids is very rewarding. We get quite a few that are taking their very first shot. Otherwise I am one of the guys shooting Long Range English Target Rifle or Schuetzen. Hope you will drop by as I look forward to meeting you. I am pretty easy to find in these areas, just ask for Pete.

Take care ..... Pete

wgr
02-29-2012, 09:04 PM
make a tag that says cast boolets and pin it to your shirt pocket

atom73
02-29-2012, 10:03 PM
What is 'Friendship'? Not some scientology retreat is it?

wgr
03-01-2012, 12:27 AM

no its were the have muzzle loading shoots. of all kinds, lots of thing to see ,do and buy

DIRT Farmer
03-01-2012, 12:49 AM
Fly Pete kinda stands out, as in standing out in the parking lot at the long range area.
I could say that Im the old guy with a white beard but that wouldn't help much. I hang at the Quail walk. Stop at the target desk and ask the gals if they have seen Pete or Alan. I know they can find us when we don't want to be found,

DIRT Farmer
03-01-2012, 12:52 AM
Fly, also I will have plenty of powder and shot. If I run out Mike has plenty more shot and wads and the NMLRA magazine has powder. Your choice, modern or correct. (Cap or flint)

Boerrancher
03-01-2012, 06:56 AM
Well I am thinking of heading that direction if the price of fuel doesn't keep me from it. If I go the southern route it shouldn't be much farther than the drive to Camp Atterburry, if not as far and I use to make that drive in around 5 hours.

Best wishes,

Joe

Boz330
03-01-2012, 09:05 AM
Atom, it is the Mecca for front stuffers and the HQ for the NMLRA. Friendship is the name of the small town next door to the range and I mean NEXT to. Population is about 12 except when there is a match and then it swells considerably.

Joe, you are probably pretty close on time. You may need to check the maps but for you it might work best to come over I-64 to Louisville and then north to Friendship.

I haven't met Alan yet but as Pete said he isn't hard to find, everybody on the long range line can direct you and that is the range on the left and north side of the road.
It looks like this. And a pic of me if anyone cares.

Alan, is the quail walk on the primitive side of the road or down by the trap range?

Bob

chuckbuster
03-01-2012, 02:42 PM

Much Much Worse than that....... :-D

451 Pete
03-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Fly and all ,
Ditto on what Alan has said above. Bob ( Boz) kindly posted a picture of the main range. If you take a close look you can see some little tiny square targets at the far end of the range. These are 3 ft. sq. steel plates with a white square ( inner ) 18 inchs. It is unbelievable fun firing the shot , the spotter calling a hit and then hearing the dong sound from the hit as you are getting up to reload your rifle. That is what I like to shoot, or some days like to try to shoot. If you want a shot at something just a bit beyond a quarter of a mile stop by.

[ * Disclaimer : In the past I have received dirty looks from the wifes and girl friends of other shooters that have joined us in this long range muzzle loading game.
I am therefore stateing here, to you in advance, that this is an addictive facet of our sport and I am not responcible to your significant other for your wanting to purchase another rifle or more equipment to participate on a annual or semi annual basis at Friendship. ] :mrgreen:

As Alan said we can be found and we both enjoy shareing what we enjoy in our shooting at the range with others. I am looking forward to meeting you.

Pete

Fly
03-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Well I plan on bringing my Gibb's.Hope you guy's can help me out with this long
range stuff.I have not shot my Gibb's enough to know what it can really do.

Fly

Boz330
03-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Well I plan on bringing my Gibb's.Hope you guy's can help me out with this long
range stuff.I have not shot my Gibb's enough to know what it can really do.

Fly

Trust me it is more than capable of doing it.:bigsmyl2:

Here are 2 guys that can help you. I mooch their guns and powder and ball when I go.

Bob

SamTexas49
03-01-2012, 03:58 PM
"Friendship" is a bucket list shoe In!

DIRT Farmer
03-01-2012, 11:06 PM
I have heard the Quail walk, skeet and sporting clays area is the unsoicable area as we are off to our selves, Bob, and for the others who may not know where it is, from the range area Bob posted, as you face the range, head along the range to your right till you pass the trap range, cross Ceaser creek twice (this is really a county road) just after the second crossing, the second camp on your right is my camp.
if you continue up the road about 1/8th mile you will come out at sporting clays. Just to your left at my camp is a sign pointing in to the Quail walk, skeet area.
The primative area is to the right of highway 62, across Laughery creek.

DIRT Farmer
03-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Joe I take I-64 to 265 at New Albany to I-65 N to the Austin exit East to Madison then North on 421 to Riply Co 800 N in Rexville East to state road 62 into Friendship.
800 N is fairly narrow two lane blacktop but it cuts several miles off my run.

If every body shows up at the same time, let me know how many and what size dutch ovens to bring as in camp feast.
Alan

mooman76
03-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Wish I was closer. I'd go.

Boz330
03-02-2012, 09:04 AM
I usually go north on I-71 to 421 and up. From my work shop which is on 55 I take that to 421 and take it all the way to Rexville.

We usually come up on Tuesday for the day.

Alan, I didn't even know there was any more ranges past the trap range. I've only come to compete a couple times. Mostly just come to look and see if there is something I can't live without or replenish ML supplies. And of course to drool all over some of Tip Curtis' trade guns.

Bob

Boerrancher
03-02-2012, 02:33 PM
If I can swing it, I am not going there to shoot. I want to load up the family and spend a few days rating around and drooling over all of the 17th and 18th Century technology, and stock up on a few needed supplies. We have tons of Rendezvous here in Mo, and if I want to shoot, I will start there and maybe someday work my way up to shooting with the big boys there at Friendship.

Best wishes,

Joe

Boz330
03-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Hopefully Friendship will still be there. Some really bad Tornado activity here headed up through Indiana. Headed home to get in the basement.

Bob

Fly
03-02-2012, 07:03 PM
Hopefully Friendship will still be there. Some really bad Tornado activity here headed up through Indiana. Headed home to get in the basement.

Bob

Man I hope the best for all.Living in Okla, we are called Tornado alley.OU has
the best school there is for this stuff.But with that said, & everyone stays
safe, we really do need to have some kind of get together.I love talking
to you guys. & how great to put a face to a name.

Also how great to make new friends & understand who they really are.
It's very hard to intereact with people on a machine.I love to kid with folks.

But then when you try to come across as kidding, people sometime take you
wrong.We all love the same thing here & I just think, it would add alot to this
form as to know as many on this form, from across this great country.

Sounds like alot of fun.
Fly:cbpour:

DIRT Farmer
03-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Bob, I haven't got a call yet, so hopefully the storms missed. We had several around us today, nothing serious in the close area.

Fly, I have a son in Eastern KS, and he calls to check on us. We were in the path of 74, I will hopefully never see another like that one.

Joe, I thought I was never good enough to shoot at Friendship, but the guys handed me guns and signed me up in matches back in 67, I have been competing ever since.
The offer stands, I will have my smooth bores and loads.
Alan

Boerrancher
03-03-2012, 07:45 AM
Well Alan, if someone happens to push a gun in my hands and tell me to go to the line and shoot, I guess that is what I will have to do, but shooting is not my reason for showing up. I just want to visit, buy supplies, and have a good time. It would be kind of fun to shoot a smooth bore. One of these days when I have some money I am going to buy a good trade gun with a rock lock.

Best wishes

Joe

Big Rack
03-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Per the Dayton tv news a tornado did quite a bit of damage at Holten which I think is just about north of the range on 50. Kind of conflicting info on deaths, I hope none.
Seems like a lot of storms fly up that valley and funnel just north of Cincnnati OH.

Good Cheer
03-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Was looking at available info on line to see when. Anyone know for sure?

DIRT Farmer
03-04-2012, 12:47 AM
Good Cheer, go to nmlra.org for the dates. It is always the second weekend in June and September. There are smaller shoots through the year.

Now Joe I would hate to force you.:kidding::kidding:

For those who are mainly interested in shopping, The first three days are best some of the dealers tend to leave after the first few days.

Good Cheer
03-04-2012, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the info.

Boz330
03-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Well, had a pretty good friend that lives about 1000ft from the high school in Henryville IN that was destroyed, was missed by the grace of God. No real problems for my home or business locations, thank God.

The normal day that we go down is Tuesday, but if folks can settle on any particular day that works for the real out-of-town travelers I'm only 2 1/2 hours away and my schedule is flexible especially in advance, so I can make 2 trips. I really would like putting faces to names of some of the folks that have helped me out or visa versa if that is the case.

Bob

Boerrancher
03-04-2012, 08:36 PM
Now Joe I would hate to force you.:kidding::kidding:

It will be hard to say "no" with the smell of gun smoke in the air, and the report of all of those guns going off.

Best wishes,

Joe

PS I am trying to talk my muzzleloading buddy Dave into making the trip with me. It will be easier to make the trip if two of us are splitting the costs.

DIRT Farmer
03-05-2012, 01:05 AM
Joe I have hopes of making it to the fishing park near Salem this summer. If there was a shoot near by I would like to try to make that to. I have several frinds who shoot the MO state shotgun territorial also and that shoot is high on my list.