PDA

View Full Version : Horseradish!

docone31
02-29-2012, 06:03 PM
If anyone has any starts, my son is interested in starting some.
I tried some down here, but there is too much sun for the plants. I only got one leaf on each one.
If you could keep me in mind when you are tending the plants, I appreciate it.
Doc

Wayne Smith
02-29-2012, 06:17 PM
If he plants it tell him to keep the roots contained. I had some in NH and the roots spread and the plant was almost impossible to kill. The only thing I found that would kill it was to plant artissima on top of it.

troy_mclure
02-29-2012, 06:55 PM
i grew it last year down here in south louisiana. ive found it grows best in pots with a heavy clear plastic drop cloth from lowes stretched 7' over head to diffuse the light.

docone31
02-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Ain't nothin better than Prime rib, and hot horseradish! I also like to make a ketchup, horseradish sauce for Quohogs. I add a little relish also.
I love it.

Hip's Ax
02-29-2012, 07:15 PM
I was considering doing this myself as the stuff you get in the supermarkets around here has no heat to it at all. The stuff the "old snack man" use to sell my Father at our family's bar when I was a kid would bring tears to you eyes, can't find anything that can hold a candle to it today.

winelover
02-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Opened a bottle today, Mellssa's brand, that says Extra Hot on the label! More like extra mild! I'm like Hip's Ax. Has to bring tears to your eyes! Found one at Trader Joe's that was warm, but they stopped carrying it.:sad: Most consistant, I found, is Chatterlee Farms.

Winelover

waksupi
02-29-2012, 08:15 PM
It doesn't generally grow well in the south, needs cold winters. Let it get a few years old before harvest, and it will make your eyes water. The market stuff is only a season old, and although it takes your breath away while grinding, it is pretty tame stuff when it comes to eating it.
You can usually get the supermarket roots for starts. As was said, almost impossible to kill, which is good news for a horse radish lover. Plant a couple dozen plants, and get them on a staggered harvest schedule for a constant supply each year.

rexherring
02-29-2012, 08:59 PM
I've made it for years but gave up on trying to contain the stuff. Can't hardly kill it with even Roundup.

Plant it on a shady side of a building or fence.

shotman
02-29-2012, 09:08 PM
if you want to get rid of it, get a Horse. they will dig the barn out to eat it . I had a large lot of it and in one summer it looked like pigs had been there .
if you want some try
Berts Gourmet
they are in OH as said it dont do well in the south

TCLouis
02-29-2012, 11:08 PM
Not sure where down here is, but yrears ago I decided to grow some here in Middle Tennessee.

Thought I was going to have to use Roundup to get it stopped. Every lille piece of root from the tiller is a new plant next year.

DON'T ATTEMPT TO GRIND IT INSIDE!

Mr_Rich
02-29-2012, 11:34 PM
I used to work across the street from Thor's Horseradish back int he day. You could tell when they received a potent batch.

quilbilly
02-29-2012, 11:50 PM
Do deer eat horseradish??

mooman76
03-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Ain't nothin better than Prime rib, and hot horseradish! I also like to make a ketchup, horseradish sauce for Quohogs. I add a little relish also.
I love it.

It's great. I even started eating it with my steak. My wife thinks I'm crazy but I like eating enough that it makes my eyes water. She loves watching me eat it though. I also like wasabi peanuts, the ones that completely cover it and I'll roll it around on my tough and inhale to get the best effect. A friend of mine that introduced me to them calls them skull busters because you can feel it in the top of your skull.

MT Gianni
03-01-2012, 12:25 AM
I was considering doing this myself as the stuff you get in the supermarkets around here has no heat to it at all. The stuff the "old snack man" use to sell my Father at our family's bar when I was a kid would bring tears to you eyes, can't find anything that can hold a candle to it today.

Our one plant has produced annually for 4 years now. The sooner you process it and get it into vinegar the warmer it is. If it sets for 45 minutes before it gets into vinegar you can feed it to newborns.

richbug
03-01-2012, 08:20 AM
If it is too mild for you, add a touch of vinegar to it and pour it into the blender. Reprocessing brings some heat back to it.

Be careful with the stuff when working with large amounts, it can drop your blood pressure dangerously low.

When I make ours, I chop into 1/4" pieces, then precess in the blender with vinegar. No loss of pungency that way. I regrind anytime it seems lacking.

curator
03-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Don't let it get lose where dairy cows graze! We carefully dug out the roots in early spring before letting the cows pasture there. It flavored the milk. You can control it with 2-4-D amine-4 with initial treatment and follow-up at monthly intervals for 6 months. The closest thing to tear-gas I had experienced before being in the Army was my grandmother grinding horseradish roots in the kitchen. That old lady was tough!

William Yanda
03-01-2012, 01:03 PM
"DON'T ATTEMPT TO GRIND IT INSIDE! "
Ain't that the truth. I once volunteered to grind some for a roast beef dinner. Got the roots from my Dad, dug them myself. Started to process it through the blender and it drove me out of the kitchen. Had to dilute it about 2 to 1 with raw potato to make it edible. It still had plenty of kick.

10x
03-02-2012, 12:03 PM
My father in law used to dig the roots, wash the dirt off using a brush and grind them into a bowl filed with vinegar/salt/pickling spice/sugar mix- cut with a little water.
He was upwind, his eyes would run, his nose would run, and he would wheeze for the rest of the day but my that stuff was potent.

As for "will the deer eat it" - no, neither will bears or any other garden pest.
How ever horseradish mixed with dry mustard and olive oil is good with deer and bear roast....

troy_mclure
03-02-2012, 07:19 PM
goats will tear it up as well. if you want t see a goat dig like a dog put it near a horseradish plant.

beagle
03-02-2012, 10:58 PM
My dad was a gardner and he loved horse radish. This was in NC. He got some roots and grew some one year and mom ground it and vinegared it for him. Now, I like horse radish with rare roast beef but that stuff was so hot I couldn't eat it and neither could he. Next year, he plowed it up and gave up on that project.

Best thing I know for cleaning out your sinus passages./beagle

L Ross
03-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Rule of thumb is to put vinegar on your fresh ground horseradish. Put it on sooner, you get milder horseradish, wait a bit and it gets hotter. Silver Spring Horseradish is an excellent brand. I think I recall the average age of Silver Spring's employees was close to 70. When I grind mine I wait about 30 seconds to pour on the vinegar. I love it on canned venison hot sandwiches.

Duke

Iowa Fox
03-03-2012, 12:23 AM
Do deer eat horseradish??

Its one of the very few things they do not eat at our place.

lead-1
03-03-2012, 01:52 AM
I've been helping my dad move and earlier this week he grabbed the shovel and said grab that crate. We went behind the barn and he started digging, when I asked what it was he said horseradish, some of the roots were three inches across.
That batch went to one of his new neighbors.