PDA

View Full Version : holster concel carry

Judan_454
02-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Whats a good paddle style holster for carrying a 4 inch SW 686 or a Ruger GP 100. I do prefere it in leather.
Thanks Dan

JayinAZ
03-01-2012, 12:14 AM
IMHO there is no such thing as a paddle holster good for concealed carry. They just ride way too far out from your body.

stubshaft
03-01-2012, 01:27 AM
I never found a paddle that I liked as much as a pancake holster.

Judan_454
03-01-2012, 09:00 AM
I been shooting revolvers for years but the concel carry thing is new to me. In Wisconsin concel carry just got passed into law in November 2011. So I have been looking for a holster to carry a revolver in. In this state we have open carry to so we dont have to worry to much about the gun printing. I really dont what to carry a snubby just because the lost in muzzle velocity and accuracy. So if the holster is a pancake,shoulder, paddle or hip style doesnt really matter Im open too your opinions on way style would be better for carrying a 4 inch revolver.

Dan Cash
03-01-2012, 09:13 AM
There is no such thing as a good paddle holster.
1. Paddle pinches and chafes.
2. Gun sits way far out board of your body. You look like you are packing a watermellon.
3. Holster will not hold gun at a consistant angle or position.
4. Sooner or later, in your moment of greatest need, you grab your pistol and present it complete with holster at your assailant. Cylinder wont turn and you are cooked.

If you want an outside waist band holster, look at Lobo gun leather for a Threepersons or a pancake rig. Springfield on this forum also makes excellent holsters but may tend more toward the cowboy style. There are others but for revolvers, those two I have dealt with and their products are top drawer quality and price is what a working man can afford.

JayinAZ
03-01-2012, 11:26 AM
I frequently carry a 3 inch Model 10 inside the waist with a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2. I had to order it of course and wait about 4 months to get it. The wait may be longer now. But it was worth it, it's very comfortable and easily conceals under any loose shirt. A GP100 or 686 is a bit fatter and may not be as comfortable IWB.

Sasquatch-1
03-01-2012, 11:58 AM
I use to carry with an "in the pants" holster with a belt clip for concealment off duty. Very soft pliable leather. You can basically tuck in your shirt tail with just the smallest of bulges around the gun and the clip being the only thing showing. Now I did have a couple of times when it worked loose and one time it slid down my pants leg in a crowded restaurant. But I attribute that to a waist problem not a holster problem. [smilie=1:
On duty I always wore a quality shoulder rig with a shirt or a jacket over top. I was a plains clothes officer (jeans and t-shirts) not a suit. A lot of the suits wore belt on holsters, either pancake or plain.

Also with a soft in the pants style it doesn't really matter what barrel length the revolver is as long as the frames are of similar size. I used the same 4" holster for a 4" and a 2" S & W model 10. Just make sure it has a good clip. I liked the one made out of plastic that had a little "J" type return that went around the bottom of the belt.

boltons75
03-01-2012, 12:31 PM
For a real nice IWB holster, tommy Theis holsters. The same style as a crossbreed super tuck, but with quicker turnaround, excellent CS, and a much better price. I wear mine everyday and can't really tell its there.

Always carry, never tell.

Dan Cash
03-01-2012, 12:35 PM
If you want inside the waist band, Milt Sparks is the final word.