PDA

View Full Version : Fair price for WW?

mirage2521
02-29-2012, 07:13 AM
Hey Guys, through the grapevine I found a backwoods scrap yard with 100 or so pounds of WW. I have not been out there yet but word is they are sorted. What's a good price/fair price/steal price if I can get them. The guy is eager to sell me all his lead.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

imashooter2
02-29-2012, 07:47 AM
A buck a pound in our swapping and selling section has a guy carry clean ingots to your door.

Raw WW, even sorted, are going to have 10% waste minimum. Then you have to do work and pay for the energy to melt them. 40 cents a pound would be top end for me.

mirage2521
02-29-2012, 10:28 AM
A buck a pound in our swapping and selling section has a guy carry clean ingots to your door.

Raw WW, even sorted, are going to have 10% waste minimum. Then you have to do work and pay for the energy to melt them. 40 cents a pound would be top end for me.

That's about where I wax thinking. .25 would be great, .40 would be top dollar.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

turmech
02-29-2012, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=imashooter2;1612650]A buck a pound in our swapping and selling section has a guy carry clean ingots to your door.

is that with shipping? I have not found them available at this price in the swaping section. could you help point me to it? I would be a buyer

.55 per lb just called the local scrap yard. don't know if sorted I figure I would look at them when I got there. Did not seem great but seemed fair seening how they are buying them for 45 per lb. I know beacuse I called last week about the price they were paying so I would know how much they would mark up.

Moonman
02-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Had a local tire dealer say he has a person that pays 95 cents/lb RAW. I said SEE YA.

letsmeltlead2693
02-29-2012, 11:12 AM
A good price is free. If you pay for WW you are getting ripped off. Seriously though, the most you should pay for WW is $0.50 per lb. I get my WW for free so I never had to pay for them. I do pay for block of ballast lead sometimes, but that is another subject.

GRUMPA
02-29-2012, 11:15 AM
The price for WW by all indications are regional. If you spent some time reading what other posters payed for WW by state/county/region it has a wide price swing. Here they are .20LB sorted but not always available or in small quantities like 30LBS at a time at the local scrap yard.

Or you can get smelted WW for generally $1LB +shipping and I believe one of the VS does that when they get in the material to do so.

turmech
02-29-2012, 11:41 AM
In my area anyway to expect WW or any lead for free would not be realistic. There are 3 scrap yards with in 30 min willing to pay .45 per lb. No one I know would let that kind of money go for free. I would not even feel comfortable asking or receiving it with out paying. For me that would be like asking every stranger that past me on the street for $5.00 IMO. All metals these day have scrap value and in some cases significant. Copper, lead, brass, steel ect… are like money in the bank, sometimes better.

In my location .50 per lb is more than fair for all lead and .25 for unsorted WW and I will gladly pay that. In fact I often runs adds in classified looking for lead and will to pay that. I have also bought ingot from WW when I need them. These I have paid 1.20 to 1.35 per lb once you factor in shipping.

imashooter2
02-29-2012, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE=imashooter2;1612650]A buck a pound in our swapping and selling section has a guy carry clean ingots to your door.

is that with shipping? I have not found them available at this price in the swaping section. could you help point me to it? I would be a buyer

.55 per lb just called the local scrap yard. don't know if sorted I figure I would look at them when I got there. Did not seem great but seemed fair seening how they are buying them for 45 per lb. I know beacuse I called last week about the price they were paying so I would know how much they would mark up.

It isn't an endless/continuous supply. You have to watch the forum. Guys need money so they sell their stash. There have been plenty of buck a pound delivered sales.

mirage2521
02-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Well I got to go see the guy....he wanted .75 a pound. That was for any lead clean or not. Clean igots were .75 and WW with clips were .75. I passed. I would rather support board members in their selling endeavors.

btroj
02-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Not wheel weights but I just bought 304 pounds of lead pipe for .57 a pound. It had Linotype for .65 a pound but I already have 274 pounds of monotype, I need soft lad to mix it with.

The days of .25 a pound for lead are gone. Buy what you can, when you can.

ilcop22
02-29-2012, 04:10 PM
I, too, typically get my lead from Swappin' and Sellin' anymore. Raw WW I won't pay for; ingoted I'll pay a buck a pound.

cf_coder
02-29-2012, 04:45 PM
My last bucket cost me $40. And I had to talk him down from $50. Fortunately, that bucket was more than worth it. It was mostly lead and it was full to the rim. I netted 82 lbs of COWW and 62ish lbs of SOWW from that bucket and maybe 5 lbs of zinc and 20 lbs of steel (ww and clips from the lead ones). I think I got my money's worth. I also found a couple of shops that re-use their clip-ons but toss their stick-ons. I dropped off a bucket at each place. :-)

Up until that bucket I had only been collecting range scrap. It's OK (haven't cast any boolits from it yet) but I really wanted some harder lead to mix it up with. In another month, I'll head back to that shop and happily pay him another $40 for a bucket like that~! Speaking of range scrap... I really need to head out and get some more to smelt down. There seems to be no end to that supply!