PDA

View Full Version : Free Wheel Weights

mktacop
02-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Sorry if you thought I was giving some away....I just wanted to share a potential source with everyone.

My wife has been wanting me to get some exercise and lose some weight (sound familiar? :-)). Anyway, I went for a walk this afternoon...about 40 minutes. I am fortunate (or unfortunate enough) to live just off a 4 lane road that is very well traveled. I walked 20 minutes one way, crossed over and came home. Along the way, I picked up 14.5 ounces worth of wheel weights that had fallen off vehicles.

Told my wife she just might get me exercising more often if I can keep finding free lead! Just had to share....:lovebooli

Ole
02-28-2012, 10:37 PM
I've been losing weight since last April.

Exercise is great, but cutting out processed carbs (especially after 3pm) will make the weight fall off like crazy.

Basically every time you eat a bunch of carbs, your pancreas has to make a bunch of insulin, which signals your liver/body to store fat. Your blood sugar drops like a stone, which makes you hungry and tired. Repeats the cycle.

I'm down 40lbs and I eat like a pig- just try to limit my carb intake. :mrgreen:

Congrats on the free lead find. :drinks:

SquirrelHollow
02-28-2012, 11:16 PM
Yep, yep.

My grandfather has walked 2-5 miles every day, since his 2nd (3rd?) retirement in 1966. Last week, I melted down the latest batch of wheel weights he had picked up. It was about 25 lbs. Not only am I glad he's still around, but he's still feeding my hobbies. :D

Defcon-One
02-28-2012, 11:31 PM
I suspect that more wheel weights are falling off all over this countries roads than ever before because more and more places are re-using them, even though it is not a good idea.

Many of the places that I used to get used wheel weights from no longer will give or sell them to me because they sort them and re-use them.

The used clips do not hold as well new ones, so they fall off! I guess hard times create new rules and for you, an opportunity.

Uncle Jimbo
02-29-2012, 11:25 AM
I don't do the walking, but I have a person who is a dumpster diver. He also goes up and the the roads in his travels and he finds ww all the time. He brings me somewhere between 3 to 5# a week. When he get to about 10# I will buy him a stein of beer. My cost is about 75¢ for the 10#.

2wheelDuke
02-29-2012, 11:53 AM
When I'm out running or cycling, I've always got an eye peeled for wheel weights. The only downside is that I tend to take the same paths/loops over and over, and I may only find a couple each time if I'm lucky, even around bumpy spots and the railroad crossing.

1bluehorse
02-29-2012, 01:29 PM
I live 6 miles out in the country from a small farming/ranching community of 2000 folks. Don't see much lead along the county roads, but If we ever get to where we can make bullets from beer cans I'll be set for ever....:)

birdadly
02-29-2012, 06:02 PM
I had an out-of-office meeting one day, get to the place and on the secretary's desk I see a 2-gallon(?) glass jar full of ****... I spotted a wheel weight and so asked what all that junk was? She said she goes for a walk everyday for lunch and that's the **** she picks up off the street! I won't say the thought of diving in there to get that one weight didn't cross my mind :) -Brad

mold maker
03-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Over 20 years ago, my Son and I, would crawl on the cycle and tool up the interstate to a flea market. We would stop at each exit/entrance and walk the ramps. In our 60 mile run, we would usually get 7-10 lbs of weights and exercise at the same time.
The constant bumping of the joints in the pavement would loosen them, but the centrifugal force held them in place, till the vehicle slowed to a stop. Now the bumping of the joints in the road cause my joints to rebel, so thats all just a pleasent memory.
At 70, I just prowl the tire stores for my lead fix now.