PDA

View Full Version : Trapdoor

dubber123
02-28-2012, 07:31 PM
I have a chance to buy a Tradooor Springfield rifle in 50-70 Govt. I don't know a thing about them, and the seller really doesn't either. I haven't looked at it, but he says very good overall condition, very good bore, missing cleaning rod. He says there seems to be quite a range on price when you look them up, which seems true after a brief search. What do I look for, and what is a reasonable price to pay? Thanks in advance.

John Boy
02-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Dubber, you best log onto the Trapdoor Collectors website and start reading ...
http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/index.html and then with pictures and details do a post on the forum or ask for a specific identification in the ***'s
A 50-70 is an Allen Conversion from the Springfield muzzle loader. Later models were 45-70. Sooo, do your home work, serial number - barrel length and pictures. Small differences can be the difference between run of the mill to big bucks

dubber123
02-28-2012, 08:06 PM
Thank you much for the link. I guess I have some homework to do. :)

waksupi
02-28-2012, 09:09 PM
There are a few re-makes floating around. I've shot some, and really like them.

StrawHat
03-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Not all the 50-70s carry serial numbers so don't be put off by that. Use Al Frasca's site and you should be able to narrow it down. Be careful, once you get used to the accuracy of the 50-70, you'll forget about that little 45-70!

Also by the end of the Model 1868, they were making new barrels and receivers and using what few stocks they still had on hand.

Waksupi, the replicas you mention, were they 45 or 50 caliber? I have not yet seen any 50 caliber Trapdoor replicas but would like to know about them.