PDA

View Full Version : Flew some lead this weekend....

41mag
02-28-2012, 07:02 PM
well it has been a while since I had the chance to sail a few down range. So when we headed up to the property this past weekend I brought along a few loads and several revolvers.

I have had a box of the Lee TL410-210-SWC loaded up for quite a while, but not had the chance to shoot but 5 of them.

I also had along a mixed box which had 25 each of the C430-310-RF and the Lyman Devastator. I had been gleaning over load data for quite a while trying to decide on just what to load with the 44's but eventually settled on some data I read in the Freyxell notes. I used some WC_297 and went with 20grs under the 310 and 21grs under the 270gr Devastator. I have to say that both of these were rocking right along to say the least.

I had piled up a nice new dirt burm for a backstop at 25yds and my first HP I sent down range blew a 6" wide and 4" deep gash right through 3' of the top, and continued to bounce happily across my pasture. After adjusting both my target and my sights a bit I fired another couple and found they groups almost in one hole. Then I switched over to the 310's, whoopeee. They simply drilled right through my dirt berm, lodging in the ground about a foot behind it. OK so new plan, since I had plenty of room I set up my target at 100yds and figured they would have a touch time blowing through the seasoned hickory I had laid up there. I was right, I ended up shooting a decent group, for me anyhow, of around 6" with each of them as well as one of around 4" with the 41, before I had to pack it in and go talk some business with my cattle man.

I didn't have the chrono up there but I would say that the 44 loads are easily bumping the the mid 1300's on velocity and the couple of HP's I recovered at 100 had the nosed blown off and I managed to find at least a couple of the rings. The 310's well they simply plowed into the hickory and even with a screwdriver I couldn't get them all out. I'm looking forward to putting a few more of them into possibly some water jugs to at least see if I might be able to recover one of the HP's. Either way everything is set up and ready for hogs when I get the chance I will be putting them both to the test.

As for the 41's, well tey shot OK, but I didn't get to shoot but the few at 00ds, so I really don't know how well they actually group up close. Hopefully this coming weekend I will be able to get a bit more time with them all and see how they do then. Oh this will be AFTER I add some more dirt to the berm for sure.

sledgehammer001
02-28-2012, 09:12 PM
Nice. My blackhawk loves the Lee TL, but mine drop at 225gr. Run mine up about 1200fps +/- with Unique. And I love the penetration! Nice to go home smiling, isn't it?

canyon-ghost
02-28-2012, 10:12 PM
My 44 is a 44 Special flattop, my big gun is the 41 magnum. I like my 2400 powder too.

Sounds like you had a good time, I'd suggest soaking the berms down so, as to remove the air spaces and make it more solid. But that big old 44 hollowpoint, not sure if it will help much, Lol.

Good Luck,
Ron

41mag
02-29-2012, 06:45 AM
I loaded the 41's up using some AA-7 I am trying to use up. Don't know the velocity just yet but they shot fairly well, and recoil was very nice.

I will also be looking into the Unique and 2400 loads as well, since I have plenty of each as well I need to use up.

As for the berm, well the dirt we have in that area is either sandy loam, "sugar sand" as we call it, or red clay. The clay isn't going to happen as it is simply too much to work with as is with my tractor. The loam however is easily worked with, packs really well, and is what I used. I mounded up several bucket loads of it, about a month ago and packed it down then. Since then they have had close to 10" of rain in the area so it was nicely packed. Even so the top portion of it simply sprawled when that HP went through. I did manage to did out a couple of the 310's after I moved the target down to the bottom of the rods I used as holders, but after the third shot the back blast of dirt blew the target to shreds. That's when I move everything on out to 100yds, and the seasoned hickory backstop.

This is another one I am looking to try out with some 2400 as well with both bullets. I simply loaded these up after reading the write ups and figured that if I got sighted in I might be able to try one out on a hog if I managed to catch one out under one of my feeders. Well they came to the feeders, but it wasn't anytime while I was down there, so they got lucky that trip. Maybe next time.