PDA

View Full Version : Babbit Bearing alloy??

SWANEEDB
02-28-2012, 05:20 PM
Is there any way of melting down babblt alloy to find out just what the alloy's are in it or the percentages. Maybe like tin?, I cast a 230gr bullet and weigh to find out the percent. Thanks in advance for any & all the help.

shotman
02-28-2012, 05:49 PM
not without a lab, they make good cast boolits, but dont get near a shotmaker.

John Boy
02-28-2012, 07:34 PM
SWANEEDB, Babbit comes in two types: tin based and lead based. Only grades 1 - 2 - 3 and 11 have any significant percentage of tin. Outside of doing a laboratory analysis of the two types, one would have to have a sample of tin & lead based then do a Bhn hardness test of each or a specific gravity test. That will put you in the ball park but won't identify the specific grades

Here's a good read about tin & lead based Babbit ... http://www.frymetals.com/pdf_uploads/referenceguide.pdf

snowshooze
02-29-2012, 09:42 PM
I salvaged a bunch of babbit lead, it was way to hard, but I blended a batch our with about 80# of clean lead and it has lasted many years... 15 or better.
Some of that babbit, such as mine had a complex blend of nickle, tin, antimony and lead.
I started out and was very soon purchasing a Seaco Hardness Tester, and wound up with an awesome blend. I fear the day it is gone.

waksupi
03-01-2012, 02:42 AM
I salvaged a bunch of babbit lead, it was way to hard, but I blended a batch our with about 80# of clean lead and it has lasted many years... 15 or better.
Some of that babbit, such as mine had a complex blend of nickle, tin, antimony and lead.
I started out and was very soon purchasing a Seaco Hardness Tester, and wound up with an awesome blend. I fear the day it is gone.

If you have any of that babbit left, I would trade you straight across for some wheel weight ingots.

Suo Gan
03-01-2012, 03:09 AM
Sweanee, Some of the bigger scrap yards will analyze what you have usually for free. You could call them and see. I have come across babbit that had a good percentage of zinc in it.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
03-10-2012, 04:27 PM
not without a lab, they make good cast boolits, but dont get near a shotmaker.

What kind of problem did you have with babbit in your shotmaker and what kind of babbit were you using?

I have over 1200 lbs of various alloys, rangeing from No.1 all the way down to "choker". I ran around 200 lbs of No.13 through my littleton and didn't have a lick of trouble. It actually turn out the best No.6 shot that I have run.

I wonder if you were running a high Cu content alloy. I could see where that would probably cause problems.

Regards,
Everett