PDA

View Full Version : case's for PP Bullets ?

catkiller45
02-28-2012, 03:09 PM
I guess you have helped me with just about everything
except the case's....I am using Winchester case's.All of
them are fire formed...Have never been resized...

I wold like to know,how you guys are doing your PPB'S
in the case..Are you using as formed or doing the full
length resize..

Hope to get some loaded up this evening if possible..Thanks
so much for all the help you have offered...John

Don McDowell
02-28-2012, 07:20 PM
Full lenth resize is the only way to hold the bullets in the case unless you're shooting groove diameter.

catkiller45
02-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Guess I am a dummy after all....You know...I never thought
about that..Duh...Thanks-lmao

RMulhern
02-29-2012, 12:26 AM
Norma....for PP!

Don McDowell
02-29-2012, 01:33 AM
Rick I don't think the Norma's would work to good in the 45-70, by the time you get them trimmed down the brass at the mouth of the case is terribly thick, and almost needs to be inside reamed.

RMulhern
02-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Rick I don't think the Norma's would work to good in the 45-70, by the time you get them trimmed down the brass at the mouth of the case is terribly thick, and almost needs to be inside reamed.

Don

If he's trying to use a patched bullet size of a full .450" or slightly over....maybe not but on the other hand if he's going under that...it might work! Don't know....as I don't mess with PP in 45/70.;) Have you tried it??

Red River Rick
02-29-2012, 03:26 PM
As Mr. M. has mentioned.......use the NORMA brass.

Out of all the brass on the market, Winchesters is the thinnest (don't ask me how I know this)and best reserved for greaser's.

Save yourself a whole bunch of trouble, listen to Mr. M. and get yourself some NORMA brass if you want to shoot PP.

FWIW

RRR

Don McDowell
02-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Don

If he's trying to use a patched bullet size of a full .450" or slightly over....maybe not but on the other hand if he's going under that...it might work! Don't know....as I don't mess with PP in 45/70.;) Have you tried it??

Rick I have not tried it in the 45-70, I have howsomever trimmed the Norma's back to 2.225 to fit into the long chambered Italian gun, the bullets wrapped to 450 will just fit, but the casemouth thickness is way over and above what it needs to be.
Experience is a good teacher, and what that experience has taught me is that Remington or Winchester cases full length resized and then either not expanded or expanded with an "m" die that is just barely bigger than the bullet is the best route to take with bore diameter bullets. Groove diameter just treat them like greasers only skip the crimp.

catkiller45
02-29-2012, 06:21 PM
Norma Brass?

Do you full length it as well? Never used any...

And I think you have already answered the other question as well..

I was gonna ask about useing the Remington brass.....Can you shed a little more on
why you think the Norma Brass will be better...I am not doubting what your saying.

I just thought maybe some others might jump in here as well...Let me add a little more info for you....My bullet is .441 from Buff.Arms When wraped/two wraps,it measures .4514....Do you think I should be using a little thicker paper or would this just mess the whole thing up? John

And I was gonna try a few tomorrow..But if you guys think the brass isn't gonna work,no sense me wasting them...:coffeecom

bigted
02-29-2012, 06:35 PM
catkiller...do what ive done...jump in n try! check your bore after each shot to ensure that there is no buggaboos in there but just forge ahead if you have all the components. im havin a ball with mine and all i have is some small greasers for my colt that i patched up and i purchased a baco 444 500 mould that casts wonderfull boolits....they are too large tho for black but do fine with smokless and i also found some 100% cotton paper that is .0025 in thickness as well as the 9 pound onion skin from baco... so another mould in the .440 to .441 will have to follow me home soon but for now...im shootin a few just for giggles. im shooting black as well as smokless and even trying duplex loads...like i said...havin a ball and finding out what works and what dont for myself even tho i read everything i can get my hands and computer on.

just jump bubba and try it out!

Don McDowell
02-29-2012, 07:43 PM
What ever brand of brass you're using will be fine, just full length resize it so it will hold the bullet. I shoot mostly Remington brass with the patched loads, but do use some winchesters.