PDA

View Full Version : all groves need lubed?

2 guns
02-28-2012, 02:31 PM
i just made some 200 grain boolits with rcbs 45-200-swc.it has 2 grooves.im going to load for 45 acp.do both grooves need lubed or can i just lube the bottom groove?what should the oal be for this boolit?

excess650
02-28-2012, 02:36 PM
The amount of lube needed is a function of how well the lube works and barrel length amongst other things. For the 45acp I suspect that you'll be OK lubing just the bottom groove.

OAL is a subjective thing. Seat a boolit in a case until it just chambers in your barrel, and then try it in the magazine. If it works both ways, you've found the length.

geargnasher
02-28-2012, 02:39 PM
Lube some with only the bottom groove and some with both and see what your gun says, that's the only way to tell. With rifles, sometimes filling only one or two grooves is necessary for peak accuracy due to too much lube causing embalance issues as it flings off in flight.

For COAL, remove your barrel and use it as a case gauge and headspace on the front boolit band. The case head should be flush with the barrel hood when you have it right. The cartridge should "clink" home under it's own weight. Make three "dummies" with no powder or primer, set them up this way, and then manually cycle them through the gun several times, this will check magazine and feeding function.

Don't overcrimp them, either. Just use the crimp die to iron out the bellmouth so the case is a cylinder again.

Gear

2 guns
02-28-2012, 02:55 PM
if i only lube the bottom groove the top band dont size.is this a try it and see how it shoots or should the top band be sized too?while im here,whats a good load with universal and reddot?
not ready to set coal yet but will try it as soon as i get time.

/

C.F.Plinker
02-28-2012, 03:26 PM
If you are using Lyman sizing dies you can probably plug the top row or two of lube holes and get the front sizing band to size and still only lube the bottom groove.

Once again you will have to listen to Mr. Gun. He will tell you what he likes. I have my seater adjusted to leave about 1/32 inch of the front driving band exposed to give reliable feeding. But I have one barrel that appears to be long chambered. If I set the depth per Gear's suggestion I can start to see the top lube groove peeking out from the case mouth. I set the boolit down so that I get a good taper crimp on it, and by both the group size and flawless functioning it tells me that this is OK.

geargnasher
02-28-2012, 03:52 PM
For good load data, consult Hodgdon, Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, Speer, Alliant...........

Gear

Blammer
02-28-2012, 04:31 PM
not all grooves need loob

but all loob needs grooves.

2 guns
03-01-2012, 11:09 AM
seated boolits to center of top driving band.made 3 test rounds and they cycled ok by hand.loaded several rounds and will try them out first chance i get.

thanks for all the info fellas

2 guns

nanuk
03-01-2012, 04:26 PM
not all grooves need loob

but all loob needs grooves.

Wow... that is profound! :kidding:

kinda Zen-ish too!

I like it!

oh, wait... what about tumble lube???

Oy, there went my zen!