PDA

View Full Version : Kimber 9 MM

smokemjoe
02-28-2012, 01:36 PM
What is the bore size on the 9 MM Kimbers, and cast bullet size yous use, Thanks- JOe

bobthenailer
02-28-2012, 04:45 PM
In my 9mms & 38 supers i use .357 dia you may want to try .358 or larger ? see what groups best in your gun .
I have 3 9mm's with factory barrels
and 2 match 38 super barrels form Nowlin & Kart

smokemjoe
02-28-2012, 05:27 PM
In my 9mms & 38 supers i use .357 dia you may want to try .358 or larger ? see what groups best in your gun .
I have 3 9mm's with factory barrels
and 2 match 38 super barrels form Nowlin & Kart

Do bullets at .357 bugle the case out , what size is your expander plug,Thanks- Joe

Lloyd Smale
02-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Ive had 3 1911 9mms a colt a sti and a para ordanance. The colt would probably chamber a rock and about shot like throwing rocks. the para would chamber 357s but occasionaly would jam with them but im talking maybe 1 in 2 or 300. It shot great with 357s but was all over the place with 356. My sti would shoot 357s or 358s was a 100 percent reliable with both and shot both about equaly well which was great as it was one of the most accurate 1911s ive ever seen. I shot ppc with a couple guys that used kimber 9mms. The two they had were tight chambered and really only ran well with jacketed bullets but to be honest those to guys are pretty much amatures at casting and shooting cast. I know both guns through would choke on my 357 ammo so id probably look at trying 356 in yours. Keep in mind too that this ammo was loaded very light and my guns were sprung for it and theres werent so its possible that they would have ran a bit better with more sping pressures pushing the round into the chamber but in my experience if they hang up they hang up. By the way during all this experimenting with 1911s i aquired a 952 smith which is suppose to be the cadilac of 9mm target guns. It was the most unreliable *** ive ever owned. It would only run reliably with full power jacketed loads. I had hangups even with bullets sized to 356 in that gun. I know thats a bit off topic but it shows a guy that most of this is how tight the guns chamber is cut and that can vary for even gun to gun from the same manufacture so the only way your going to find out for sure is just like me. Shooting the snot out of your gun till you find what works.

Lloyd Smale
02-29-2012, 10:32 AM
one last bit of advice. pick yourself up an rcbs 121 round nose mold. Watch what your buying though you want the one WITHOUT the shoulder. It was the best shooting bullet ive found in all those 9mms. The one with the shoulder they call there target bullet is a real dud though.

bobthenailer
02-29-2012, 04:58 PM
None on the super very slight case buldge on the 9mm ! if it will chamber it will work fine.

mac49j
02-29-2012, 05:12 PM
I shoot a Kimber in 9mm, its a lot more accurate than I am, I use a .356 cast and moly-coated projectile, had no problems

MtGun44
03-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Lee 356-120 TC has worked very well in all ways in many different brands of 9mms
for me. Expecting your gun to be the same as another example of the same brand
is at best a random thing. I liken it to asking a friend what size shoes work for him.
It is certainly possible that your example will match some other one from the same
maker, but just as likely it will be as different as a different maker's barrel, IME.

Bill