PDA

View Full Version : A perspective on the speed of progressives and my new RCBS Pro 2000

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-28-2012, 09:51 AM
Over the years, I've read many statements of how fast a progressive press reloads cartridges. The Dillon models have numbers representing the theoretical speed/number of cartridges you can load in an hour. Long forum posts have been done in which various individuals tout how many cartridges their progress put out in an hour's time.

Most of the above times are quoted based on a set number of primers, such as 100 or 50 or a handful of rounds loaded and then the time checked.

Years ago, I took my Hornady LnL AP and loaded 30-06 cartridges on it and timed myself for an hour with an alarm clock. I took my time, I did everything one normally does, such as add powder, primers, etc. Top off brass in the Akro bin, yadda yadda. I did not use a case feeder or a bullet feeder. What I wanted to find out is how many quality cartridges I could load in a "low stress" environment. Note I have fairly big hands, though not the biggest and while I'm decently mechanically inclined, I'm not the absolute deftest fella. Also note the 30-06 is a big cartridge with big bullets and easy to handle. Easy to get those 175 grainers on top of those big cases to seat them.

At the end of the hour, I had loaded 400 top quality 30-06 cartridges whose accuracy at one hundred yards in my tuned M1 Garand rifle was 1" or minute of angle. I was very satisfied at the time.

Return to today. I have a new press, an RCBS Pro 2000. It, like the Hornady LnL, is auto advance. I am again reloading rifle cartridges and I am not using a case feeder or a bullet feeder. The difference is I am reloading .223 cartridges. This much smaller cartridge, with the 55 grain pill I'm reloading, is a good bit tougher to handle for me. Particularly placing the bullet on top of the cartridge. The little bullet just doesn't want to turn in my fingers.

This morning, I decided to do a "check" to get an idea of what kinda speeds I'm getting. I did NOT measure it for an hour. Instead, each of the primer strips for the RCBS APS strip feeder takes 25 primers, so I measured the time to use up those 25 primers. I noted the time, started loading and once the primers in the 25 round strip ran out, I took note of the time. Here's what I found out:

1. If I loaded relaxed and very casually and did a sloppy job of keeping up with the time, it took me 4 minutes (approximately) to complete 25 cartridges. 60 minutes (1 hour) divided by 4 minutes equals 15 times 25 rounds equals 375 cartridges per hour. I think this is a safe estimate, as one can speed up or slow down a bit.

Notes:

A. I'm using a Dillon measure, which has the same size reservoir as the Hornady I used previously, so with the .223, no powder would need to be refilled over an hour's time.

B. The strips are very very quick to install and can be purchased pre-loaded or one can load a bunch in front of the TV, whichever one chooses. I estimate adding a new strip to take less than 15 seconds, possibly less than 5, so adding primers is also a non-issue to the calculation.

2. I loaded a second strip of 25 primers, this time watching the clock to turn to a specific minute, then loading very focused and as quickly as I could with those small .223 cases and bullets. Quite the challenge. Then as the last cartridge was finished, I again noted the time. I finished 25 cartridges in 3 minutes. 60 minutes divided by 3 minutes equals 20 times 25 equals 500 cartridges.

Could I have gotten a bit faster with the speed? Yes, I think so. This press is still very new to me, while the Hornady LnL I had before I'd owned for 2 years when I tried the test I tried. The biggest difference to me was the size of the case between the 30-06 and the .223. I had a much harder time with the .223 materials from a handling standpoint.

Would a case feeder and/or a bullet feeder have speeded things up? Yes, I think so and I believe of the two and based on my experience with the glitchiness of the Hornady case feeder, a bullet feeder would be the better choice, as those small bullets were the biggest detractor. A combination of both would be the most ideal, assuming one is loading extremely large batches of cartridges, in excess of 4000 a month.

So how does this compare with other "realistic" reloading rates I've read about over the years? Most owners of the various progressives without case feeders/bullet feeders report reloading rates in the 350 to 500 range, with most quoting in the lower end of the range. So this compares favorably and reasonably within quoted ranges.

How was the reloading experience compared to the Hornady LnL or Dillon 550 I owned in the past or my buddy's 650? Oddly enough, I liked the RCBS a bit more than either the LnL or the 550. My buddy's 650 has a case feeder on it and I've only loaded pistol rounds on it, so it's hard to compare. Over all, it's about a draw between the auto advance presses and the 550 takes up the rear. I much prefer the LnL or Pro 2000 over the Dillon 550.

What items do I really like on the Pro 2000?

1. The APS strips. This press makes handling primers about as headache free as one can get primers. (Note: I should mention I got a lemon press with a bad sub plate that had to be replaced and I had to go back and adjust everything to get it running right, but I'm reading I'm the exception rather than the rule. Once adjusted, this press has been an absolute dream from a primer standpoint.) The strips are very easy to load with the loading tool. (Like I mentioned, in front of the TV.)

2. The auto advance is very simple and easy to adjust. The primer advance is very simple and easy to adjust.

3. The press is heavy and robust. It's cast iron, after all.

4. I like it comes with a very good powder measure and case activated powder drop.

5. I like how boring it is to reload on. If nothing goes wrong and I don't screw anything up, I can throw in a strip of 25 primers, knock out 25, then go watch the ball game until the next half time to reload 25 more. Very convenient.

What items do I not like on the Pro 2000?

1. I don't like the limitations of the die plates. First of all, there's five positions, but the die plate only includes 4 of them. I would prefer it had five positions on the die plates. Second, the die plates limit the flexibility of the press. The Hornady LnL bushings are the superior method of attaching dies to a press for quick removal and you can swap a single die in for another in any setup without screwing a die in and out of a die plate/ tool head. Additionally, the LnL bushings don't tend to flop around the day a die plate/tool head does. I am reasonably sure this helps a great deal with concentricity of the loaded cartridges.

2. I don't like the small volume of the RCBS Uniflow powder measure. A great measure, but that reservoir can be sucked dry very quickly on a progressive press. RCBS should have increased the reservoir capacity when they put it with the RCBS Pro 2000 progressive.

3. The press is nice and heavy, but I think they could have designed a much better and less cast iron wasting mount for the press. For an example of what I'm talking about, look at the very efficient Lee Classic Cast press bases. Very strong, very efficient and much lighter in weight in plates weight doesn't count for anything.

4. I don't like the lack of availability of a case feeder for this press. I suspect to keep up, RCBS is going to have to add one in the future. I saw on another forum where a fella made one to fit. He just needs to work out the camming/auto advance to get it fully automated. Be real interesting to see what he comes up with.

r1kk1
02-28-2012, 11:26 AM
2. The auto advance is very simple and easy to adjust. The primer advance is very simple and easy to adjust.

Dave, can the auto advance be turned off if a fellow wanted?

What items do I not like on the Pro 2000?

1. I don't like the limitations of the die plates. First of all, there's five positions, but the die plate only includes 4 of them. I would prefer it had five positions on the die plates. Second, the die plates limit the flexibility of the press. The Hornady LnL bushings are the superior method of attaching dies to a press for quick removal and you can swap a single die in for another in any setup without screwing a die in and out of a die plate/ tool head. Additionally, the LnL bushings don't tend to flop around the day a die plate/tool head does. I am reasonably sure this helps a great deal with concentricity of the loaded cartridges.

When you get your concentricity gauge, it would be nice to know about runout compared to the LNL. This has been a loooong debate on other forums with Dillon and long range guys.

2. I don't like the small volume of the RCBS Uniflow powder measure. A great measure, but that reservoir can be sucked dry very quickly on a progressive press. RCBS should have increased the reservoir capacity when they put it with the RCBS Pro 2000 progressive.

Uniquetek sells extended hoppers for different makes as well as Sinclair.

4. I don't like the lack of availability of a case feeder for this press. I suspect to keep up, RCBS is going to have to add one in the future. I saw on another forum where a fella made one to fit. He just needs to work out the camming/auto advance to get it fully automated. Be real interesting to see what he comes up with.

This has been a common complaint with the 2000.

Dave, great review. I got to use a LNL and the 2000 at two different friends houses. I do love the primer strip feed for the 2000. It primed without a hitch. I think, personally it is the best priming system out there. I think the shuttle bar priming system on the 550 is an afterthought.

Is there enough spacing between the dies to allow for any lock ring? This has been a personal beef with my 550b. I don't mind screwing dies in and out but please give me a lock ring so the settings are virtually the same!

I like the sheer massiveness of the 2000. The shell plates to me look weird but that's okay. I agree RCBS should have included an extended hopper. I have extensions on my Dillon's to hold a full pound or close to it. The QM is easy to get an extension for it.

When you get your gauge keep us posted on runout!

take care,

r1kk1

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-28-2012, 11:53 AM
r1kk1,

Answers in red in your quote.

This has been a common complaint with the 2000.

With the volume I'm reloading, a case feeder is something I'm likely never to buy. A bullet feeder, on the other hand, would be very nice to eliminate handling these small .223 pills.

Dave, great review. I got to use a LNL and the 2000 at two different friends houses. I do love the primer strip feed for the 2000. It primed without a hitch. I think, personally it is the best priming system out there. I think the shuttle bar priming system on the 550 is an afterthought.

I think so too.

Is there enough spacing between the dies to allow for any lock ring?

So far, there has been, but I have mostly used Lee, Dillon, RCBS and Redding dies. Hard to tell since I separate the brass processing from teh reloading so far and I haven't yet used the press setup for pistol, but I think it won't be an issue.

This has been a personal beef with my 550b. I don't mind screwing dies in and out but please give me a lock ring so the settings are virtually the same!

If I still owned the 550, I'd buy several toolheads and install the dies once and leave them in. This is what I'm doing with the Pro 2000. That said, I dislike having the limitation of having all the dies on a die plate/tool head. I'd rather have them set individually and ready to load the way the LnL bushings allow one to do. Much more flexibility.

I like the sheer massiveness of the 2000. The shell plates to me look weird but that's okay. I agree RCBS should have included an extended hopper. I have extensions on my Dillon's to hold a full pound or close to it. The QM is easy to get an extension for it.

Do you mean the shell plates or the odd shaped die plates? Extended hopper is just about a must if I'm going to use the Uniflow on this press. If not, I'll be constantly filling the powder reservoir. What is a QM?

When you get your gauge keep us posted on runout!

Still doing the research on that one. Reading a lot of reviews by serious long distance shooters who use these types of tools, etc. I think it may be a while before I make a decision.

One thing I can say with absolute certainty. If you own a Dillon 550 and replace it with this press, you'll be glad you did. Just don't get rid of your Dillon dies, powder measures and other stuff you can use on other presses.

I use the Dillon powder measures I picked up with the older style springs on this auto advance press and am very pleased. I am using them with ball powder at the present. Only complaint I have is a small amount of leakage on this older unit I'm using right now. Not sure what would fix the problem. The powder, WC846, is very fine ball powder, so leakage is easy.

r1kk1
02-28-2012, 12:16 PM
QM = JDS Quick Measure. Seriously have not had powder leakage problems with it. My biggest complaint with the 2000 is how long will this press be around? RCBS has had several progressives come and go over the years. The same for single stages. I can still get parts for some it just bothers me with here this decade and gone next. I miss the Big Maxx and the A-series presses. I've used quite a bit of surplus powders as well as 800x and AA #9 with no issues with the above measure. I'm down to three Dillon measures that each have are set up with x-small bar, the next with small, and the last with the large bar. This takes care of a plethora of calibers. I bought the QM years after the Dillon measures and was not satisfied with IMR 3031 powder drops from the Dillon measure.

Your right I got shell plate and die plate dyslexic! [smilie=1:

take care,

r1kk1

seagiant
02-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Hi,
Even though I have pretty much given up on progressive loaders I would give an RCBS 2000 a whirl if I found one used at a good price. I have owned most of the progressives out there that are remotely affordable. The Star is still the best in my opinion. I had 3 at one time and enjoyed them very much.

The Dillion 550B and the Hornady LNL progressives remind me of what they say about buying a boat. Your happiest 2 days of ownership is the day you buy it and the day you sale it! I can remember a friend of a friend buying the Hornady and how happy I was to get my money back out of it!

Thanks for the info on this loader,still looking at it!

r1kk1
02-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Don't agree with the happiest two days as my press I bought when they come out umpteen years ago. It replaced my 450 which so gorillas during a move damaged. Don't know how many rounds I've loaded, both rifle and pistol.

I do like the 2000 a lot. I've used one and the strip primer feeder. What I don't like is what I stated in an earlier post. RCBS has a habit of dropping presses over the years. Yes you can get parts even out of production most of the time, but hate it when a manufacturer drops a product.

take care,

r1kk1

H110
02-28-2012, 10:34 PM
O.K. you guy's hooked me line and sinker. Just purchased a PRO2000, should be here Thursday. I wonder if you can install the LNL bushings in the 2000's die plate. If you could then you could set up dies in all five stations run brass up in the dies all at once to take out the play and lock the die plate down with a few set screws. Maybe have the best of both worlds.

H110

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-29-2012, 12:02 AM
I'm not sure if there's enough room to drill out the RCBS die plate or the press for LnL bushings. If you could install one on the fixed position, I would have already done that, but I doubt there is enough meat on the die plate side of that hole to drill and tap it to the larger die size needed for the LnL bushing adapter.

jmorris
03-01-2012, 04:05 PM
An interrupted thread wouldn't take up anymore room than a normal die but would be a bit of work to setup the first time.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-02-2012, 08:47 AM
jmorris,

I don't know why, but I have no idea what you're talking about.

jmorris
03-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Not super common these days but AAC made a suppressor that used the method as a quick detach with a 1/2 28 thread a few years ago.

Mill out sections of thread 180 degrees apart in the frame (you can still use regular dies and would remain way stronger than needed), adjust die properly, mark die, mill off threads on die 180 apart. What you end up with is a 1/4 turn quick release die, that would get tighter than the LNL bushings as they have no thread.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/68/Breech_122m10_hameenlinna_2.jpg

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Not a bad idea but the problem is, you'd have to do the milling on all items you wanted to put in that location vs. just putting a LnL bushing on them. Then both the press, the modified items have become less than resalable. Which could be a problem, should I get tired of the press. And while I don't do it often, I do get tired of an gun, a reloading item and decide to sell it and get something else once in a while.

jcw1970
03-02-2012, 04:34 PM
RCBS does have a bullet feeder for the 223 but it's pricey. $500 at natchez.

Walt
03-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Very well done Dave. Thanks

H110
03-02-2012, 09:43 PM
jmorris, I may be wrong but I believe this is how the LEE quick change die system works. If not I think it to be similar.

H110

Catshooter
03-02-2012, 11:44 PM
That is exactly how the Lee system works.

I have never owned a 2000. I use both a Piggyback (installed on a Rockchuker) and an Ammomaster. They both have had issues with the priming system and required me to tweak 'em till they worked. They do work now flawlessly.

I certainly have not tried all the reloaders out there, but in my experience the priming system is often a troublesome set up. I've wondered about those primer strips, never had a press that would use 'em.

I agree Dave that with the tiny bullets comes a slowed production rate. Loading my 225 Winchester & the 9mm are both slower than the 45-70 with 500 grain boolits.

I have come to prefer the RCBS progressives. I like the Piggyback for it's much shorter stroke for pistol rounds. Quicker just because of that.

But you can't hardly beat the Ammomaster for the large rounds and strength. Any press that can full length size the 50 BMG can't be called weak.

Cat

jmorris
03-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Not a bad idea but

No free lunch...the good news is that if you decide to go with any of the other progressives like Lee, Hornady or Dillon they all have a quick method of some sort to swap out the dies.

W.R.Buchanan
03-03-2012, 04:03 PM
I have 5 progressive presses, 2 turret lathes and a CNC lathe. The kicker on gettng a decent output from a reloader is the same as operating a turret lathe.

Every second you are not pulling the handle is a second you are not producing product.

These seconds add up. Talking on the phone for 15 minutes kills your production for that hour.

Most outfits tout their progressives speed by getting a young guy to stand there and pull the handle for an hour while someone stands behind him and whips him continuously. This how you get some of the inflated numbers.

Case feeders and more properly bullet feeders speed things up tremendously. Continuous primer feeds like on a Spolar also speed things up. Spolar claims 3.5 seconds per round. that's 1028 rounds per hour. No case feeder and no wad feeder.

Still the primer feed won't hold 1000 primers so you'll have to recharge that, and you'll also have to deal with positioning hulls and wads. 1000 12 ga hulls is a 30" drum 24" high" You also have to deal with the loaded rounds which pile up fast.

All of these things eat up time. So 1028 rounds per hour ain't gonna happen unless you have help doing the administrative things that accompany reloading. IE someone keeping the hulls in place and supplying wads and primers and dealing with the finished product.

I can get about 200 rounds per hour out of my DL266 single stage, and I can get about 400 per hour out of my DL366.

I can load 100/hr .308's on my C&H with the Lyman DPS throwing charges. I can get about 300-350 per hour out of my Dillon SDB's. I fail to see how a Dillon 550 manual indexing machine can go faster than a SDB? But they say it can ? go figure?

All of these claims are based on "head down, **** up" pace levels. Also it seldom happens.

I personally can't stand to stand in front of any manual machine for an hour strait. Too many years of pushing it in my machine shop.

If you want to know what running a turret lathe is like just run a progressive loader, it's the same type of work just a different product.

My CNC lathe doesn't take breaks, that's why you buy them. I guess if you really need to load fast then an automated 1050 is the way to go.

There is a good video on Youtube of the Dawson Precision loading room. They have several automated 1050's just pumping out ammo, 1 rnd per second, that's 3600 per hour. Now thats fast.

You could load a lifetimes worth of ammo in one day and then sell the machine.

Randy

seagiant
03-03-2012, 04:58 PM
You could load a lifetimes worth of ammo in one day and then sell the machine.

Randy

But what fun would that be!!! Ha! Ha!

Catshooter
03-03-2012, 06:30 PM
I agree WR. Unless my life depended on it I'm not gonna slave over my loader. I get around three, three hundred and fifty an hour, but I rarely do an hour.

I usually load up one primer tubes' worth, then set up for the next tubes' worth and do something eles. Takes fifteen, twenty minutes.

A friend had an early Dillon 1050, brass and bullet feeder. He let me use it once and I pumped out 1000 rounds of 45 ACP in that time. Nice, but I don't need that kind of speed and couldn't afford it anyway.

Seconds do count.

Cat

jmorris
03-03-2012, 08:50 PM
A non automated 1050 with abullet feeder can load 100 rounds in under 3 min. Top off the primer feed, during breaks in tv programs and you can load a weeks worth while "watching tv" with the wife. That's why the wife bought this machine.

If you need "alone time" a single stage is a better choice.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/th_1050.jpg (http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/?action=view&current=1050.mp4)

blikseme300
03-03-2012, 09:32 PM
I use progressives not so much for output but convenience. No need for loading blocks and remembering things that have already been done.

I mainly reload for pistol and do things the slow way according to many. I decap and then clean brass in a tumbler with STM. I then lube the brass before loading. I typically do 200 or so rounds in a session. This is relaxation time, not see how quick I can get it done. I have a case feeder on my LnL and a collator on my Lee's. This is for convenience and not speed.

For the same reason I use a number of Star lube sizers. They are convenient and get the job done. I dislike the wasted effort of the 2-cycle other sizers. Matter of choice.

If I needed to do production I would look at the fully automated units available. Until then, my slow and convenient pace will do. Freedom of choice is what it is about.

BTW - I ran a number of turret lathes years ago and agree that production is determined by breaks, negatively.

Bliksem

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-03-2012, 11:29 PM
I'm going to fess up to you guys who have done production work that I too have worked production and understand how to achieve the maximum production in the minimum amount of time, so I know exactly what you're talking about.

Since I posted this, I've spent a couple of focused reloading sessions and carefully watched how to achieve the maximum amount of production in the minimum amount of time and to minimize the bullet size. Why? Because I have the background to know how to do so.

And in doing so, I reduced my relaxed operational time for 25 rounds down to three minutes. That gives me a 3 minute burst of 500 rounds per hour, if I stay focused and handle each bullet and each case for the most efficient output each time. I do think the focused part is a good thing, as I operate the press much more smoothly and place the bullet much more concentric for seating (no tilting or anything like that might caught the bullet not to be seated as perfectly as possible) I also place the cases in the machine better, so they start out traveling better. One thing I'm NOT doing is operating the press handle up and down fast. I want my brass and bullets to move gently into the dies to allow them as much time as possible to align before the operations on the brass/primer/powder/bullet begins.

But do I work at it for a solid hour? Absolutely not. I run my 25 rounds, dump them in a larger bin, air blast the press, the empty bins and restock the brass bin, top off the powder measure, (if it's at the half way point) wipe down any blued steel parts with an oily rag and throw in another strip of 25. Then I go watch TV, read these forums or anything else I want to do until either I feel like running off another 25 or I have a break with nothing else to do in all the other things I'm doing around the house.

Doing as described in the previous chapter I just typed, I ran off 1500 cartridges off and on and couldn't even feel I'd done it. Each time I ran the press was fun, but very focused and safe. I really enjoyed it. Here's a couple pics of finished product and press ready to go, just need to get out the 62 grainers for the next thousand or so:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/DaveinOakwoodGA/RCBS%20Pro%202000%20Operation%20Pics/IMAG0347.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/DaveinOakwoodGA/RCBS%20Pro%202000%20Operation%20Pics/IMAG0348.jpg

Now I have one last bin of cases I can load with these 62 grain bullets or I can sort through for reloading more accurate single stage cartridges. I think I'm going to buy myself a dial indicator and perhaps another measuring device or two and check out these left over cartridges. I'm about to buy a concentricity gauge so I can test all these plinker rounds I just built to see if any are suitable for 300 yard and less use in more serious accuracy shooting, rather than three gun. Should be interesting the result.

Am I having fun? Absolutely. Now I gotta start processing some lead, casting some more boolits and lube sizing them for both pistol and other rifle cartridges. Spring is about to be here.

Gotta get ready to reload .308 as well. Got a M14Semi I gotta feed this spring.:Fire:

Colorado4wheel
03-04-2012, 03:21 AM
100 rds in 8 mins on my 550 was doable if I wanted to. 600 rds was my relaxed pace with my 550. Never felt I missed autoindexing on a non-casefeed machine.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-04-2012, 05:13 AM
Wow, can you post a vid of you running off that 100 rounds? I'd like to see your bench setup and how you run your press. You've got to have the most ergonomic, best tuned 550 I've ever heard of and the fastest hands. While you're posting the vid, can you toss in your tips for tuning the 550?

I think a lot of guys would like to see and hear how you get that kinda production out of that press and I'm sure the ergonomic setup is fantastic.

Colorado4wheel
03-04-2012, 11:37 AM
Maybe I can send you some "proof of life" as well

It's really not that hard. I load standing. No leaning on a stool. But to be fair it takes years to get to that speed. But it's doable. No way to do it at the beginning. Muscle memory takes over. I did load a little different then some on the 550. I seat the bullet in station 2 not three. I seat the bullet directly after looking in the case. Then I index with the bullet on top of the case. From a efficiency point of view it's a little faster. Besides that you just need practice.

As far as getting it to run. It's not hard. First time it hangs up you clean it, and repolish it quickly with some 800 wet dry sandpaper. Tighten the two bottom bolts with the handle in the 'push to prime" mode. If it's clean and adjusted right (alignment of the tube to the shuttle) then it should run. If it fails to pick up a primer add some extra tension to the operating rod. You do that every year or two. If the above fails to work call Dillon and get a new primer housing. It's a pretty simple setup. Has to be clean and dry and adjusted right. The housing does need replaced every once in a while. But Dillon will do that no questions asked.

I don't have any pictures of the bench in it's final setup. But this is close.
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/98sr20ve/DSC_3316.jpg

seagiant
03-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Hi Dave,
I'm trying to be done with progressive loaders but those RCBS 2000 porn pics you are putting up, is pulling me back in, (like Michael Corleon)I think!!!

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Colorado,

Maybe I can send you some "proof of life" as well

That might be TMI, who knows what kind of life form and all that.:kidding:

It's really not that hard. I load standing. No leaning on a stool.
Leaning? Someone leans on a stool? I'm thinking you're better off to sit on it. Especially if you have a bad back that gets inflamed standing.

But to be fair it takes years to get to that speed. But it's doable. No way to do it at the beginning. Muscle memory takes over.

Years? You're talking years, but not mentioning what caliber you're reloading or if it's pistol. We both know small caliber rifle is a lot slower than large caliber pistol. I'm loading small caliber rifle and I've already hit 500/hour and I don't think I've reloaded two weeks on the machine. Think about that a second. And my set up IS NOT ergonomic right now. It's too high by about 4 inches or so, even for standing. I'm going to have to put in a lower strong mount.

I did load a little different then some on the 550. I seat the bullet in station 2 not three. I seat the bullet directly after looking in the case. Then I index with the bullet on top of the case. From a efficiency point of view it's a little faster. Besides that you just need practice.

I would think that would be obvious though, wouldn't it, for any press, regardless of brand? I've not had years to think on or practice maximum efficiency. That said, there are speeds at which the operation of the handle is too fast for getting the best run out/concentricty of the bullet for best accuracy. I proved that to myself years ago on the Hornady. At certain speeds, bullets and brass just do not reload as accuracy as they do at lower speeds because too many things get knocked around. So there's a point where a compromise between speed, efficiency and ammo quality come together, beyond that, you're producing ammunition we couldn't use at long range. I want to and have produced ammunition on a progressive I can shoot at 600 and 1000 yards. I want to keep doing that, rather than cranking out a pile of three gun match ammo.

I wasn't busting your chops about the vid. I really did want to see what and how you're doing things under a "live" setup. If you're going that fast on that particular press, then you're doing things a lot of 550 owners could benefit from, seriously.

As far as getting it to run. It's not hard. First time it hangs up you clean it, and repolish it quickly with some 800 wet dry sandpaper. Tighten the two bottom bolts with the handle in the 'push to prime" mode. If it's clean and adjusted right (alignment of the tube to the shuttle) then it should run. If it fails to pick up a primer add some extra tension to the operating rod. You do that every year or two. If the above fails to work call Dillon and get a new primer housing. It's a pretty simple setup. Has to be clean and dry and adjusted right. The housing does need replaced every once in a while. But Dillon will do that no questions asked.

You know, that's a funny thing about the Hornady LnL I had for a decade. In all those years, I never replaced anything major and darn few minor parts, most of which I broke early on due to not taking the time to learn the press. NONE of what you've mentioned is anything I haven't and wouldn't do with any brand press I have owned or would own, including Dillon and it's all common sense and good practice. It's unfortunate how many progressive owners don't do this stuff and don't get all the best out of their press, regardless of brand.

I don't have any pictures of the bench in it's final setup. But this is close.
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/98sr20ve/DSC_3316.jpg

Come on man, you KNOW you got a smart phone with a camera in it, let's see a vid and some new pics! Not this ancient one.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Hi Dave,
I'm trying to be done with progressive loaders but those RCBS 2000 porn pics you are putting up, is pulling me back in, (like Michael Corleon)I think!!!

Good looking press, isn't it? I really like how I've blended the red in and now have a Christmasy feel to the press. In all seriousness, I don't know what I'd do if the Dillon powder measure I'm using right now was baby blue.

I got a lemon when I bought mine, so if you're like most folks and get a good one, you'll be glad you did. But I will say this:

Any press, regardless of brand, can benefit from close polishing/tuning/adjustment/loctite, just as Colorado4wheel mentioned in his last post. So if ya get one, go through all that stuff before operating. Pick up the gauge pins and one of the newer detente springs to make sure you're not slinging powder through too fast a rotation.

BTW, I'm working real hard researching ways to make a progressive load cartridges that meet or beat what's reloaded on a single stage. I think I can get there with what I've been researching. We'll see where this takes me.

Colorado4wheel
03-04-2012, 10:55 PM
I sold the 550 about a year ago. I never replaced parts on mine. But I use sandpaper to deburr the slider. Primer issues on a 550 are. caused by these small burrs you don't see. The press should work from the start but this one issue is what causes most people a lot of grief. 8 mins isn't fast. My 650 is a 5 min press with 9mm. Don't hurt a thing. It's not like you're jamming things. Speed comes with the hand movements not the speed of the handle on the 550. 650 is a little different.

1bluehorse
03-04-2012, 11:59 PM
I have two RCBS progressive presses, one for LP and one for SP. I have become a master at loading ammo so fast (hence the name of the loader..Ammomaster..) that I have to set an eight pound jug of powder on top of the powder measure. :shock: there's no handle to pull, the shell plate spins with a system I built using the gears and crank from a 18 speed mtn. bike operated by and old electric Singer sewing machine. Cases are inserted automatically using a Senco air nailer fired at 120 psi air pressure and shot down a steel tube, primers are seated utilizing the inertia of the case when it hits the end of the pipe. :redneck: I use a 3yd cement mixer with a 5hp Briggs and Stratton engine I customized into a bullet feeder using a hair net and a spatula.. :veryconfu Never counted rounds per hour, but can fill a large garbage can in under 17 minutes. To operate at these speeds all consumables should be close at hand. Within at least, oh, lets say 50ft. I should also add that I shoot these rounds at over 1000 yards, sometimes 2000. Don't hit squat but what the hey. :kidding: :kidding: the preceding was for entertainment only and should not be tried at home...well, some of it's true, I DO own two RCBS progressive presses.......:takinWiz:

no offence intended.....:p

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-05-2012, 12:07 AM
bluehorse,

That's a vicious tease. I was wanting badly to see a pic of the cement mixer bullet feeder. That would be a hoot. LOL

jmorris
03-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Story telling aside there is a fellow on the high road that built the shuttle part of a case feed for the RCBS, iirc GWstar is his "handle".

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Jmorris, I saw that. I am willing to bet cash money one could come up with stamped sheet metal or steel rod automatic ramp for that shuttle. Would make it very doable and affordable.

I'm also awaiting Hornady coming out with a bullet feed die for rifle. The RCBS version is "ok," but exhorbitantly expensive and requires you to use their powder measure with it to activate the feed/control mechanism.

In the meantime, I've got the Hornady pistol bullet feed dies and plan to modify them to feed cast boolits. Stacking a plastic tube on top gives me about a hundred bullets at a time, more than enough for my feeding needs.

Catshooter
03-05-2012, 11:00 PM
That was funny as all get out 1bluehorse.

Cat

1in9twist
03-07-2012, 02:46 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/DaveinOakwoodGA/RCBS%20Pro%202000%20Operation%20Pics/IMAG0348.jpg

Hmm.........Lever is too straight.........:twisted:

:kidding:

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-07-2012, 07:56 AM
Hmm.........Lever is too straight.........:twisted:

:kidding:

Well, I sent this fella a check for a fancier ergo lever with a roller handle and a fancy light to make things sparkly, but it hasn't showed up at my door yet....[smilie=1:

angus6
03-07-2012, 10:34 AM
But do I work at it for a solid hour? Absolutely not. I run my 25 rounds, dump them in a larger bin, air blast the press, the empty bins and restock the brass bin, top off the powder measure, (if it's at the half way point) wipe down any blued steel parts with an oily rag and throw in another strip of 25. Then I go watch TV, read these forums or anything else I want to do until either I feel like running off another 25 or I have a break with nothing else to do in all the other things I'm doing around the house.

Thats pretty much the way I do it on the 1050, run a sleeve of primers ,wonder off and come back and do it again, prepping brass I'll run a few bins then wonder off

1in9twist
03-08-2012, 02:51 AM
Well, I sent this fella a check for a fancier ergo lever with a roller handle and a fancy light to make things sparkly, but it hasn't showed up at my door yet....[smilie=1:

Oh..........I thought that was a early birthday present? [smilie=1:

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Oh..........I thought that was a early birthday present? [smilie=1:

Come home from taking the wife, child and grandchild to the Georgia Aquarium yesterday and there was a nice box delivered by the post office on my door step! I wonder what's in it?

milprileb
03-08-2012, 11:00 AM
I bought the light set and I bought the ERGO roller handle from the same
gent and I got to say this: Awesome upgrades and makes my reloading life easier by far. Money well spent in my opinion.

In fact, I liked the roller handle so much, I bought his Roller Handle for my Lyman 450 sizer and for my Co Ax press.

I have the lights on my Dillon 650 and RCBS presses: great investment for my old eyes.

1in9twist
03-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Come home from taking the wife, child and grandchild to the Georgia Aquarium yesterday and there was a nice box delivered by the post office on my door step! I wonder what's in it?

Couldn't tell ya. Be afraid, be very afraid........

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Some more press porn, Ergo Handle and LED light added:

Side view showing Ergo handle mounted and LED light mounted with wire bundle ties. The LED light had peel and stick tape, but I'm not sure where I'll permanetly place it yet, so I wanted to mount it so I could remove it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/DaveinOakwoodGA/RCBS%20Pro%202000%20Operation%20Pics/IMAG0456-1.jpg

Front view showing the amount of light the LED provides. Should be enough to view pistol cartridge interiors easily. Going to have to add a small mirror or two to see in to rifle cartridges. Ergo handle feels different than the regular. I haven't had a chance to reload with it, but it's extremely well made and I like the black paint much better than the black oxide/blueing on the original handle. Much more sweat resistant:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/DaveinOakwoodGA/RCBS%20Pro%202000%20Operation%20Pics/IMAG0458.jpg

I really like both products. They're well made, well packaged and shipping was very reasonable. 1in9twist is an easy fella to do business with. Worked with me to get a new product ready for my press and was patient with me when he got the handle ready and I was busy with family and work. He never got wound up when I took forever to send payment. Great guy to do business with. I highly recommend considering him when you need a roller handle and a method to light up your press.

Whoever said his handle wasn't well made wasn't factual. It's very well made. Of course, it's not painted Dillon blue, but I bet if you asked, he'd be glad to paint one that color for you.[smilie=b:

1bluehorse
03-12-2012, 04:16 PM
I do like that handle.........[smilie=p:

1in9twist
03-13-2012, 01:14 AM
Looks great Dave, good to hear you like em! 8-)

H110
03-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Here you go. 1in9twist you are the man. Get the stand its well worth the money, I use mine on all my presses and wouldn't want load without it. I used Velcro on the back of my light bars and can move them up and down or remove completely.

H110

milprileb
03-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Thats Terminator Grade upgrades. I got the lights and the Ergo handle but that Strong Mount has got to be bought !

Great stuff 1&9, top shelf !

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Jeesh, just when I thought I would be okay with a welded steel I beam setup from a buddy of mine, this comes out! Now I'm conflicted. Can a couple hangers for Akro bins be tossed on this puppy?

H110
03-15-2012, 11:16 PM
Akro bins, sure. As far as putting them on the stand, just bolt on a piece of angle or flat bar wherever you want and hang away.