PDA

View Full Version : Knurling

Sasquatch-1
02-28-2012, 09:34 AM
Is there a CHEAP way of knurling swaged lead bullets? I have a CH4D Cannelure tool. does anyone make knurling wheels for this?

Reload3006
02-28-2012, 10:13 AM
I think CH4D offers a knurling tool ... I would Email them. I bought Corbins knurling tool Was expensive as heck but it works great.

DukeInFlorida
02-28-2012, 12:54 PM
If you already have the ch4d cannelure tool, that's what' it's for........ Putting the knurl (cannelure) on the swaged bullets. The knurl wheel that's on there is exactly what is the right tool.

Is there a CHEAP way of knurling swaged lead bullets? I have a CH4D Cannelure tool. does anyone make knurling wheels for this?

mold maker
02-28-2012, 01:42 PM
I think he's asking about knurling the whole bore riding surface.

runfiverun
02-28-2012, 02:49 PM
roll them over a file.
if you have two files you can put it between them and roll the top one forward.
you may/may not gain a little diameter but it will hold lube just fine.

Sasquatch-1
02-28-2012, 03:46 PM
If you already have the ch4d cannelure tool, that's what' it's for........ Putting the knurl (cannelure) on the swaged bullets. The knurl wheel that's on there is exactly what is the right tool.

I am looking for a way knurl LEAD bullets to be able to lube them.

Also to reload. I just don't want to spend a lot on a knurler and was wondering if any of the inventive people that hang out here came up with a cheap alternative. I think someone mentioned trying to get just the knurling wheels and was told that they did not stock just the wheel and the cost would be high to get a set. Could be wrong about that. The old thought chamber has as many leaks as my Lee lead bottom pour now days.

I tried using a flat file and rolling one just to see what would happen and the bullet went back in the pot.

Reg
02-28-2012, 03:55 PM
If one could just come up with a knurling wheel, making the contraption to run it either by hand or motor driven, should be simple.
Look in one of the old Herter's catalogs. Seems like they offered some kind of hand operated whiz bang they said would do the trick. Should be simple to copy---- but--- need to find a wheel first.

:coffeecom

Reload3006
02-28-2012, 04:31 PM
roll them over a file.
if you have two files you can put it between them and roll the top one forward.
you may/may not gain a little diameter but it will hold lube just fine.

a couple rasps is a danged good Idea thanks I am going to try that out. cheap and should be effective if not I still have a couple good files.

rockrat
02-28-2012, 05:48 PM
Use good clean files. Fine cut.
Not the first time I have heard of this idea.

stubshaft
02-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Use good clean files. Fine cut.
Not the first time I have heard of this idea.

+1 - It doesn't take much pressure to knurl lead.

uscra112
02-28-2012, 07:59 PM
A pair of double cut files does great. I've done it. Now to start swaging boolits so I can put the idea to some use. Knurling will BTW increase the apparent diameter of your boolit. Start with a boolit maybe .002 under the target diameter, knurl it and it will be .001 to .002 over target diameter, then size it after coating with LLA.

perazzi
02-28-2012, 08:01 PM
FILES!! thanks for the tip!

I'll try that on my .436 swaged bullets for the .442 Webley..

uscra112
02-28-2012, 08:11 PM
Knurling wheels can be bought cheaply at Enco

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=219&PMCTLG=00

DukeInFlorida
02-28-2012, 10:53 PM
You don't have to knurl cast lead bullets in order to lube them (I presume that you are talking about Tumble Lubing them)

You'll get enough lube sticking to the surface of the cast boolit as-is, with out the knurl.

Your question might be better addressed in the LUBE section of the forum.

Sasquatch-1
02-29-2012, 08:08 AM
Knurling wheels can be bought cheaply at Enco

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=219&PMCTLG=00

I took a quick glance at this page and will go back later and give it good once over. See if there is a wheel I can adapt to my cannelure tool.

To DukeinMaine, I am looking to knurl bullets I have swaged from cores that come out smooth on the sides.

I tried the file trick and I guess my files were not aggressive enough.

DukeInFlorida
02-29-2012, 08:41 AM
No matter, there's still no need to knurl the bullet.
If you apply the tumble lube properly, the lube will sick to even a smooth swaged surface, and do it's job. Most people apply too much of the lube anyways, and make a sticky gooey mess.

Thin the Alox or Xlox (White Label version) with mineral spirits, until the Alox/Xlox is barely straw color, and very thin in consistency. Coat your bullets. Pull them out with gloved fingers, and allow to drip a bit, back into the tumble pan. Place on waxed paper in single layer to dry. Should only take a couple of hours to air dry, or about 15 minutes if using a fan over them. Roll them a couple of times to get the bottoms also dried.

When dry, the swaged bullets should have a slight waxy glaze look to them, and almost no color. They should be dry to the touch (not sticky). That's enough tumble lube to do the job. SIZING becomes the biggest issue, and that is specific to your gun.

Putting a knurl around the bullet to hold more lube is a waste of time and effort.

To DukeinMaine, I am looking to knurl bullets I have swaged from cores that come out smooth on the sides.

Reload3006
02-29-2012, 09:15 AM
May not be necessary true But funny that Speer wastes their production money doing it as does Hornady. Funny that all the major swage die manufactures recommend it. So if its a waste of time I don't mind wasting it. If its a waste of lube Great its not that expensive and just maybe all these companies know something about making bullets as they have made literally trillions of them. so for a couple pennies a thousand I will Knurl and waste time and Lube if that's whats going on. But As yet my swaged lead knurled Bullets have not leaded any of my guns. I can't argue with success.

Red River Rick
02-29-2012, 03:50 PM
I think this is what your looking for...............

RRR

alfloyd
02-29-2012, 09:46 PM
So where do I get a set of wheels to fit the CH4D cannelure tool?

Lafaun

Red River Rick
02-29-2012, 11:00 PM
So where do I get a set of wheels to fit the CH4D cannelure tool?

Lafaun

I make my own for my Corbin PCM. So, probably custom is the only way.

RRR

Montana Ron
03-01-2012, 01:38 AM
you can knurl one wheel and have 2 idler wheels and put a crank or the knurled wheel and
go to town just use on knurled wheel as red river rick showed and mount the 3 wheels on a plate like the C and H bullet canalure tool only bigger and it will work.........dip and dry and
you are duplicating what several manufacturers do.........

d

Sasquatch-1
03-01-2012, 08:02 AM
I think this is what your looking for...............

RRR

Do you mount these on the CH tool?