PDA

View Full Version : Crystaline pattern in muffin ingots

cf_coder
02-28-2012, 02:01 AM
Ok... so I smelted a bunch of lead over the weekend and made my muffin ingots. I noticed that they ended up with a rather strange looking mottled crystaline pattern. Just wondering if this is a normal thing?

Looks like the COWW has a finer "grain" to the pattern. The SOWW is larger and the processed range scrap is kinda in between the two. Yeah, the range scrap could use another flux or two. That stuff was way beyond dirty...

evan price
02-28-2012, 02:17 AM
Normal grain structure for antimonious lead alloys. More antimony, more grain pattern.

COWW=more antimony. SOWW=less antimony. Your range scrap- in between the two.

cf_coder
02-28-2012, 02:32 AM
Cool. That is good to know. I guess my stick ons are going to be harder than pure. That may work in my favor when I blend them with my clip ons.

Thanks!

dieguy59
02-28-2012, 03:02 AM
I saw a post by a member stating that not all SOWW are pure. The coated ones are a COWW alloy. I can't remember the thread it was in, but since then when I sort, I've thrown the coated in with the COWW. Just info, I'm just starting out, too.

letsmeltlead2693
02-28-2012, 10:50 AM
My WW ingots have that texture too. I thought at first it was zinc contamination, but obviously since I only get lead WW in the first place it can't be so it is the Sb content as you said. COWW are not all pure, but some are. One way to test is melt it and if it is shiny and a bluish tint to it after 2 or 3 days, then it is pure lead. I learn a lot from you guys and I thank you people for enjoying the hobby of melting lead and I also help out people too. Edit: I meant stick on WW not COWW as sometimes being pure.

John Boy
02-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Buy the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th Edition. There is a multi page chapter explaining the various crystalline structures of Pb-Sn-As-Sb alloys. Very technical & informative
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/publications/cast-bullet4.php