PDA

View Full Version : Wax Melting Temperature

buyobuyo
02-28-2012, 12:56 AM
I was melting up some wax to make up a batch of Randy's TAC#1, and I got to thinking. I've read on here numerous times to not over heat the beeswax or it kills it. However, I can't remember ever actually seeing an actual temperature at which degradation begins.

According to information from Wikipedia, beeswax melts between 144F and 147F. It starts to discolor above 185F, and its flash point is 400F. I was running my wax at about 155F which took over an hour to mostly melt 12oz.

Anyways, I was just curious what temperature you all melt your wax at and if anyone has data on the temp that the wax starts to degrade.

.22-10-45
02-28-2012, 02:18 AM
Once your lube begins to smoke..it's about done for. I use a double boiler arangement to prevent overheating.

randyrat
02-28-2012, 09:03 PM
A dime store or second hand store large cake pan works for a double boiler..Just put a couple inches of water in your cake pan, set it over any heat source and place a smaller pan inside it with your lube. This will prevent over heating of the lube ingredients.
160 degs F. should be plenty warm. Play it safe and stay under 175 degs F

No need to measure temp with a double boiler

John Boy
02-28-2012, 09:46 PM
No need to measure temp with a double boiler Using a double boiler and stirring the melt with small pieces of wax, not just one big chunk, it will melt faster.

buyobuyo
02-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I'm using is a small sauce pan and a glass 2 cup measure. I have the sauce pan filled with water, so that it come most of the way up the sides of the measuring cup.

yovinny
03-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I'm using is a small sauce pan and a glass 2 cup measure. I have the sauce pan filled with water, so that it come most of the way up the sides of the measuring cup.

IMHO, I'd be carefull with that setup, their are better ways.
Me thinks the small glass footprint of the cup will sit directly on the hot bottom of you'r pan, over heat and crack.
The water in the 'double boiler" is used both to transfer heat and as an insulator, to keep the hot flame from contacting you'r inner pan.
In other words, you want water BETWEEN the 2 pots or pans you'r using.

shaune509
03-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Just place a hotpad under the glass jar in the water, this is the way grandma heated the galon honey jar to allow the crystled honey to be used. Never cracked the jar this way.
Shaune509

buyobuyo
03-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the safety warning and idea on keeping the glass from breaking.

I've been doing some more searching and came across two links.

http://www.honeyshop.co.uk/effect.html
http://www.bee-hexagon.net/files/file/fileE/Wax/WaxBook2.pdf

The first states that beeswax starts to decompose at 120C. The second states that at 120C you start driving out any water that maybe in the wax and at 140C you start evaporating other compounds from the wax.

I would take from these that you could go to almost 250F before you start doing damage to the chemical composition of the beeswax.

EDIT: Found another link: http://wagnerencaustics.com/wagner_encaustics_safety.html They suggest 225F as the max working temp for beeswax.

randyrat
03-02-2012, 10:52 PM
About 185 degs F. You will do damage to beeswax. 400 degs F. you will have FIRE in the pot.

For small batches of lube or playing around with different mixes I us a round bottom stainless bowl with a flat bottom coffee pot as a make shift double boiler. Only part of the coffee pot touches the bottom.

buyobuyo
03-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Not trying to be an @$$, but, if you never heat above 175F and you kill the beeswax at 185F. Then adding carnauba wax to a beeswax based lube would be pointless because it would never melt and mix in, since carnauba wax has a melting temp of 180-190F.

felix
03-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Keep in mind the term "melt" and its implication. Things melt when molecules relax, and there are other things around besides heat that can cause melting. So, this means wax 2 can melt into wax 1 depending on whether the combination is "mutually beneficial" by whatever external, or internal, means. ... felix

DukeInFlorida
03-07-2012, 08:00 AM
I just posted in another thread that I melt using microwave oven, on high. A quart sized mason jar nearly full will fully melt in 8-9 minutes on high. Never any issues with degradation or over heating.

randyrat
03-07-2012, 08:32 AM
Not trying to be an @$$, but, if you never heat above 175F and you kill the beeswax at 185F. Then adding carnauba wax to a beeswax based lube would be pointless because it would never melt and mix in, since carnauba wax has a melting temp of 180-190F. Your not being an $ss I just make the point so you will not go too far.. Melt your beeswax first then add the carnauba in raise the heat to JUST the point where the carnauba will melt and stir you'll be fine. After the carnauba is melted turn the heat down. Now, because there is a mix of the two you have just raised the melting point of the beeswax mix by a couple degs. BTW I don't use a thermometer ever.