PDA

View Full Version : Press Id (bad picture)

autofix4u
02-27-2012, 11:50 PM
I bought a swaging setup at gunshow this weekend and would like some help with identifing the press.
I know it was made by RCBS, Because it it stamped under the bushing. Ihave never seen a RCBS with upswing only, or a seprate adapter for shell holders.
I weighs about 35lbs and is stamped RCBS Patent pending, under the bushing. I will try to attach a photo.

autofix4u
02-27-2012, 11:56 PM
I did manage to attach a photo, but its not very good. My camera seems to have given up.

220swiftfn
02-28-2012, 01:21 AM
Nice snag, I wouldn't mind having that on my bench..... I believe that it's a "Model B" that was made @ '61. I say that it's a REALLY nice snag because they only made around 500 or so......

Dan

Kevin Rohrer
02-28-2012, 08:52 AM
Shouldn't it have a letter cast into the front of the frame denoting the model?

Pressman
02-28-2012, 05:02 PM
That is - a early RCBS press. Made between 1951 and 1955 when the Model A came out. There are many variations on this press as they made a series of running changes over its production life.
Most of that design carried over into the Model A, such as the ram and shellholder design, the swing arms and basic frame. The A has a perfected pivot block design and a more solid frame. It also is the first RCBS press to operate down stroke. Yours nay have a rotating cam in the pin under the handle that gives some adjustment to stroke.

Ken

Pressman
02-28-2012, 05:26 PM
I tried to clean up your picture, but you are correct, your camara is not doing a good job.

Below are pictures of your press and the first and last production models. Notice the difference in the pivot block. The press on the left has a swaging ram in it, the press on the right has a shellholder to accept Herter's shellholders.

The left press is older and drilled for the original sliding primer mechanisim.

These are the first RCBS presses to enter full production. Prior to these was the welded frame, limited production press.

Ken

autofix4u
02-28-2012, 08:26 PM
Pressman, You hit the nail on the head. My press is almost exacty like the one you show. The handle pivoit is like the first one, but the primer arm is like the second.
What would the value be on one of these?
I does have some wear in the ram, but seems solid otherwise. Would it be worthwile to make a new ram and bush the bore to tighten it up some?
I was jus after the bullet swage dies and Jackets, but it was a package deal.
P.S I would have paid what he wanted for the whole setup for just the 3 25lb rolls of core wire.

220swiftfn
02-29-2012, 01:35 AM
Oops, I had forgotten about the pre "A" presses.... Of course Pressman nailed it!!!!

Dan

tuner
03-02-2012, 12:04 AM
I bought a swaging setup at gunshow this weekend and would like some help with identifing the press.
I know it was made by RCBS, Because it it stamped under the bushing. Ihave never seen a RCBS with upswing only, or a seprate adapter for shell holders.
I weighs about 35lbs and is stamped RCBS Patent pending, under the bushing. I will try to attach a photo.

Looks like you have a few swaging Dies .. are they for the RCBS or are they for a SAS?

Cheers
JB