PDA

View Full Version : returning after 15 years

jimhoff
02-27-2012, 09:30 PM
I think I was hanging out on rec.guns then. I want to get back into casting after 15 years and start with a .500 S&W Mag for my first mould. I'm picking up a bucket of wheel weights and will weld up a propane alloy furnace and look for a big pot, etc. I have noting right now. I sold a ton of stuff for the move up here.

1] Big iron pot - ideas?

2] ~500 gr mould, no gas check for this first one - recommendations?

3] ??

Have a great week, all!

--Jim from Wasilla, AK

mooman76
02-27-2012, 11:07 PM
Check out the thrift stores and yard sales for a cast iron pot.

fcvan
02-28-2012, 01:12 AM
+1 on the thrift store for a cast iron pot. I'm going to get the Lee 440 grain mold for the .50 and remove the gas check shank to make it plain based. Then I'm getting a plain based gas check maker from Pat to run hotter loads. Good luck. Frank

Dale53
02-28-2012, 01:42 AM
I use a Harbor Freight 12" cast iron dutch oven (it'll hold 120 lbs+). I use it with a Bass Pro Fish/Turkey fryer (about $30.00 on sale). It'll do two pots+ an hour (240 lbs or so). I have a number of ingot moulds from 1/2 lb. to 5.0 lb so it goes pretty fast.

FWIW
Dale53

jimhoff
02-28-2012, 03:39 AM
I use a Harbor Freight 12" cast iron dutch oven (it'll hold 120 lbs+). I use it with a Bass Pro Fish/Turkey fryer (about $30.00 on sale). It'll do two pots+ an hour (240 lbs or so). I have a number of ingot moulds from 1/2 lb. to 5.0 lb so it goes pretty fast.

FWIW
Dale53

Do you pour from the pot or use a big dipper? I just realized I'm in the wrong forum category http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/smilies/icon_mad.gif

Dale53
02-28-2012, 10:44 AM
I consider it extremely dangerous to try to pour from a lead pot that holds in excess of 120 lbs.

I use a Rowell ladle (bottom pouring ladle) that holds about five pounds. When the pot is nearly empty, I generally tip it on edge and use a smaller Rowell ladle for the last bit of molten lead.

Then, in go another batch of WW's or scrap lead (what ever I am smelting) to continue. I continuously monitor the melt temperature and don't let it go over 650 degrees so that I don't inadvertently melt a zinc weight in the mix ruining it for bullet casting.

FWIW
Dale53

DLCTEX
02-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Some have had good results making smelting pots from old propane tanks. Cut off the top after purging the tank. The older ones without the approved filler valves are usually available for scrap metal price.

lbaize3
02-28-2012, 11:50 AM
I use a cast iron 3 quart sauce pot, a rowell ladle (small) to cast with. I have bigger ladles to smelt with. On the 500, I honestly don't know if the gas checked model would work better than a non gas checked mold. If it were me, I would use the non gas checked mold and hold the velocity to around 1500fps or less. A lot depends on the weight of boolit you want to sling....

I use a Coleman stove hooked to a big propane tank. A thermometer is a must for keeping the head consistent. Good luck...