PDA

View Full Version : Texas CCW

mhat
02-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Hi , I'm looking for some info on getting a CCW in Texas. I live in Mississippi, and my mother lives in Mission Texas. She is wanting to get her conceled carry permit. What is involved in getting the permit ? Thanks for any help.

Mark

Blacksmith
02-27-2012, 08:46 PM
mhat

My SIL, in her 70's, just got hers I know she had to take a class and pass a shooting test. Don't know what else.

mktacop
02-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Hi , I'm looking for some info on getting a CCW in Texas. I live in Mississippi, and my mother lives in Mission Texas. She is wanting to get her conceled carry permit. What is involved in getting the permit ? Thanks for any help.

Mark

Here's a link with all the info.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlsindex.htm

geargnasher
02-27-2012, 08:52 PM
You apply to the state for a "package" of stuff that comes to you shortly in the mail. The package contains instructions, forms, some excerpts from the criminal code, and some other paperwork. You get a passport photo taken, and find a local class to take. The class is 8hrs, usually two days although many are cramming it into one day. The first part is classroom with a written test, the second part is a shooting proficiency test. If you pass both, you get a certificate and file your paperwork package with the state along with the permit fee, and if you pass all the background checks, within six weeks or so they send you your license.

Gear

DLCTEX
02-27-2012, 10:17 PM
The license fee for persons over the age of 65 is $35. The cost of the CCW course varies (usually from $50-100) as the instructors are private individuals licensed by the state. There may or may not be a range fee.You must also provide a passport quality photo, cost varies, and be fingerprinted by the local sheriff dept. or PD. All for the privilege of exercising your 2nd. amendment right to bear arms. I think your Miss. permit is recognized by Texas, many states are. The above website probably tells you.

mhat
02-27-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks for all the good info. She is well into her 70's. I'll pass along this info, it should get her well on her way to exercise her 2nd amendment rights. Again thanks.

Mark