PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about Swaging

KohlerK91
02-27-2012, 07:26 PM
I just came across a A2 RCBS press which I hear are great for swaging.

Thought I might give it a try but dont know were to start.

How much does a set dies run to swage a semi wadcutter 357 bullet? I gues I would need half jackets too but do they sell them anywhere?

BT Sniper
02-27-2012, 07:40 PM
Lots of simple dies availble for SWC swaging. Not so many jackets availble for .357 cal that I know of. CH offers a 105 series die. Hawk or shooters shack also offer one.

Swaging is a lot of fun if you ask me. My fovorite and first die/caliber I always recomend to anyone looking to get started in swaging is the 40 cal made from 9mm brass. Simple to make, cheap to shoot, awesome results and only one die needed!

Look around a bit, lots of info here. If you are interested in making JHP bullets I have a lot to offer as well.

Good shooting and Swage On

BT

Hammer
02-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Kohler91,

I have bought 357 jackets from Corbin at times. CHTool and Die makes a good set of 357swage dies if you can find them.... BT Sniper may be able to hook you up. I have a set and BT has "improved" them for me in the past. I think he also can get a price discount. He does great work! Great place to start and this forum has more information than you can ever hope to process and retain. You will continue to come back here for years to come.

Good luck and best wishes,
Ed

GRUMPA
02-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Part of this whole swaging game for me was to be independent in making what I wanted. Let's face it when you want boolits you are at the mercy of who-ever makes and sells the things. I don't know about how much money you feel like throwing around but I'm a cheap SOB.

If there's a way to make something and not be dependent on someone else for what you need I would urge you to look into making what you need from spent brass. That stuff is everywhere for the asking (well almost) and all it takes is time and so little $ it isn't funny. After you get the proper dies of course.

Once you get the dies they'll last you a lifetime (with care) and therefore you will also be able to make them for a lifetime.

sweatnbullits
03-03-2012, 07:46 PM
hey bt sniper ive been lurking for a while now (many site & lots of research) n jus reg'd for the site you seem to be the man to talk too so i was wondering if you could or have thought about doing like a "swage boolits 101" for idiots!!!! im allllll new to reloading brass and am looking to by all my equipment literally drop some coin right now but not sure what where etc!!! ive put the word out local here in redding ca for alittle "reloading help/wisdom" with zero response! thx jay

GRUMPA
03-03-2012, 07:53 PM
I'll jump in on this, I own 1 set already for the 40 to 45 and have another on order for the 9 to 40. When I got mine I knew about as much as you did (or didn't) and he provides you with what you need. Instructions as well as help with any problems that one might have come up. Here's a link to the review I did on my first set of dies I got from him:http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=132183

I just used my rockchucker press for doing this without any hassles what so ever, hope that helps (we do a lot of that around here).

BT Sniper
03-04-2012, 02:14 AM
Sweatn,

What caliber do you want to make?

I love the 40's :)

I'll help as much as I can. Anything is possible with a bit of scrap brass, some lead and a bit of pressure.

BT

gwood
03-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Ammosmith (http://www.ammosmith.com/) has some swaging videos that might help you to get started.

sweatnbullits
03-04-2012, 02:55 PM
WOW did not expect such quick helpful answer!!! i really appreciated it...
@ grumpa thx for the link i had not seen that one yet it realllly helped

@bt looks like ill be purchsing die's from you! if possible haha to start id like
9-.40 cal
2nd .22-.223
3rd .40-.45
would need a price on the dies i guess and no what grn bullit is needed so i can get lead molds! also do i need the canular tool thx

@gwood thx for the link ill check out n watch the videos tonight! thats a REAL easy way for me to learn thx again for all the help